IGNORED

Installed a small water trough for deer

I always wondered about people doing this...
Is it safe for the deer?

Dogs need vaccines for lepto, do deer? Drinking stagnant water isn't optimal I imagine.. I never let my dog drink from water that isn't running. I have a pond in my yard that's stagnant too and I'm not sure if deer drink out of it.. I think that's why they aren't using my mineral site as much because they probably dont like to drink the stinky water I have available for them lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Is it safe for the deer?

Dogs need vaccines for lepto, do deer? Drinking stagnant water isn't optimal I imagine.. I never let my dog drink from water that isn't running. I have a pond in my yard that's stagnant too and I'm not sure if deer drink out of it.. I think that's why they aren't using my mineral site as much because they probably dont like to drink the stinky water I have available for them lol.

I was thinking the same thing.  Out west, deer and pronghorn drink from cattle troughs that are fed from artesian wells but those wells are run by windmills so they are always putting fresh water in the trough. 

I'm sure over the thousands of years deer have been on earth, they have figured out how to get some H2O. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Out west, deer and pronghorn drink from cattle troughs that are fed from artesian wells but those wells are run by windmills so they are always putting fresh water in the trough. 
I'm sure over the thousands of years deer have been on earth, they have figured out how to get some H2O. 
I believe they get a good amount from morning dew on grasses they eat

9 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Is it safe for the deer?

Deer  suffer no adverse physical problems from drinking stagnant, standing water mixed with debris and insects.  I'm sure there are exceptional cases where they could be harmed but in general it is safe for them.

12 minutes ago, tpr1921 said:

Deer  suffer no adverse physical problems from drinking stagnant, standing water mixed with debris and insects.  I'm sure there are exceptional cases where they could be harmed but in general it is safe for them.

You should see what deer drink in places like Florida or even S.Carolina swamps