IGNORED

When to start baiting?

Let me start off by saying that I am a total noob about deer hunting with bait. I've never used it before and never had any desire to use it until now.

I gained permission to hunt a small private piece in Z12 and as far as I can tell, the property lacks any real bedding or feeding areas and the deer seem to just migrate through, so I am trying to give them a reason to come onto this property as much as possible.

Those of you with experience using bait, when do you start baiting? Should I use a mineral lick along with a feeder?

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Put a mineral block. Set a camera on it see what's cruising thru. If it's a small piece and gets pressure around it , trust me the deer will be there in the fall as long as you don't pressure it. I don't put too much stock in seeing bucks right now because they will change patterns in September. 

I try not to put anything out now that could potentially get all moldy. 

Yes now is a good time to start. If you use corn don’t pile it spread it out. Make them work for it. Mineral licks can work also never a bad idea. Get that camera up also

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Hmmm, when to start baiting? How much weight you want them to gain before you shoot them? LOL. Just kidding. Some areas can take more disturbances then others. I have one spot that needs to be disturbed sparingly, while others I could go in and out everyday and have little affect on deer movement. Only you can truly answer how soon you should start be determining how much pressure you put on that spot prior to deer season.

I’ve had minerals out since April with a trail camera. Plenty of activity though mainly does and button bucks.   IMO no need to put corn out yet since there are plenty of other food sources this time of the year.  I usually hang my corn feeders in late August or September. Good luck!

I have the same type of property in Z14. Rather new myself,,,,,,,I hung a feeder there last year and set up a camera. I got a lot more pics when I took the feeder down and baited it on the ground, spread around. I started around now. I put out minerals early,,,,,,as soon as the weather breaks. Hope this helps. I feel they need time to get used to a feeder. For me, it was more a deterrent

3 minutes ago, LPJR said:

I put out good solid food blocks, Killer Kubes by A&W, starting in June. They get hit hard and last. 

This guy ain’t no joke some how he avoided a major pinch point on Route 80 and still delivered 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈