IGNORED

Knee replacement

Chefhunter

So the hunting gods have kicked me in the stones again. I need a new knee, of course it will be in November so hunting after that is shot. Who has had one done and how did it go, recovery and all?

gotta make September and October count this year.

Oh man Chef, hoping for a speedy recovery for you......Plenty of time in the woods early season...One of my friend's wives had her knee replaced. She was walking the next day and said it was one of the best things she could have had done. Feels like a new person...

6 weeks PT...painful at first, gets better each week.....That's my observation after spending 4 months  twice after shoulder surgery.

The PT told me that knee and shoulder surgery are the most painful to recover from....difference....you have use/walk after surgery and done is 6 weeks.

One guy had both knees done a he same time....he didn't seem to be in to much discomfort. 

In short...you'll be fine

I'm scheduled for a rt. knee replacement on July 24th.  Not looking forward to it, but I can't go on like this.  Doctor said I have just two choices - have the surgery, or live in pain.

My sister had both of her's replaced, and said she feels like a teenager - at age 69.

Sister-in-law had one replaced, and was back at her tennis game in three weeks.  And that was at age 70!  (I don't expect results like that, tho)

My mom had both knees done a year apart from each other, when she was 80. Went through both with no problems,  she was very dedicated to her rehab and really stuck to the plan.  Had hers done at Rothman dr ung. Good luck and I hope things go well for you chef

I will have to do my RT knee eventually, already did the meniscus twice and ACL.  I would push it off till January if you could. 

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT HAVE SURGERY AT A SURGERY CENTER ONLY A HOSPITAL.  

The reason I say this if you have any reaction to the surgery they actually call 911 for an ambulance instead of a Dr. running directly to you.   My wife works in malpractice insurance trust me on this, many people die waiting for an ambulance.

Yo dude, don't give up on hunting. You will be down 2 weeks and out in field in 3 or 4 weeks.  Just don't climb any trees.  Few years back,  I had a hip replaced in mid August and was goose hunting in mid Sept and early ducks in October. By November I was hunting woodcock and pheasant.  I moved super slow and careful so I didn't hit any hidden holes. 

Modern Surgery is a miracle! Good luck and go in with a kick ass attitude. 

13 hours ago, Batsto said:

Yo dude, don't give up on hunting. You will be down 2 weeks and out in field in 3 or 4 weeks.  Just don't climb any trees.  Few years back,  I had a hip replaced in mid August and was goose hunting in mid Sept and early ducks in October. By November I was hunting woodcock and pheasant.  I moved super slow and careful so I didn't hit any hidden holes. 

Modern Surgery is a miracle! Good luck and go in with a kick ass attitude. 

I am not giving up on hunting, last year was the pacemaker in Sept. heart surgery December so last year sucked, the year before both knees arthroscopic meniscus I know the replacement knee will help and get rid of the pain, but never at a good time, not that there is a good time for any of this shite 

I will be out September until the surgery, still cant climb a tree so I am in a blind 

23 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Varies greatly most depends on you and how you handle the recovery.    

Very true.  I know people that were out and about almost immediately.  Do what you can to get in shape before the surgery, the more fit you are the quicker the recovery.  

Best of luck Chef.   

I cannot say that I have had a knee replacement but I have had multiple arthroscopic cartilage trimmings (both knees) and an ACL replacement (one knee) so far and will probably have to get knees replaced eventually so I have been watching this procedure carefully.

It does seems to have good results as long as you eat and sleep well post surgery and a) you do not pull any stunts on what you can or cannot do while recovering, b) do the PT exercises religiously giving maximum effort c) continue to keep your hamstrings and quads strong forever afterwards.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I will have to do my RT knee eventually, already did the meniscus twice and ACL.  I would push it off till January if you could. 

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT HAVE SURGERY AT A SURGERY CENTER ONLY A HOSPITAL.  

The reason I say this if you have any reaction to the surgery they actually call 911 for an ambulance instead of a Dr. running directly to you.   My wife works in malpractice insurance trust me on this, many people die waiting for an ambulance.
The same orthopaedic specialty Dr's will be at the Surgical center. You shouldn't be calling 911 if the Dr. is present.