IGNORED

Hunting with Little Ones - Help Needed

yoda4x4

Come this hunting season, my daughter will be about 5-1/2 yrs old and I'd like to try taking her in the woods during early bow (deer) season. Up until now, I have almost zero experience hunting from the ground. I find that I tend to get very antsy when I am on the ground due to my sight being limited; I'm way more relaxed up in a treestand. I'm thinking that a ground blind would be the way to go as it would allow my daughter to be comfortable and have some freedom to move around but I'd be more on edge as a result. The other choice would be a 2 person ladder stand that would make me more comfortable but probably less so for her.

Which way should I go? And if it's a ground blind, which one do you recommend? It'll be set and left so weight isn't much of a consideration.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Stewey said:

When my kids were younger I tried the double stand and was busted every time cause they can't sit still.  I finally put them in a blind with a game boy and the volume turned down, that kept them busy until something showed up 

What he said.  :up: :up:

Have them come and help you build you own ground blind with as much cover as possible.  They will be more into it because they were involved and you will have something less detectable from the human eye and more acceptable by the deer.  Let me add that early on, keep the hunts short.  Try mid day and worry less about success and scaring game away early on and more about making sure they have a good time with you.  If they want to be with you, the hunting enjoyment will come around.

Pics need flipping.

IMG_2169.JPG.88abd685652dcbd0a84aff3572e36e2e.JPGIMG_2169.JPG.88abd685652dcbd0a84aff3572e36e2e.JPG

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2284 (1).jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Edited by Live to Hunt

29 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

I do. We bring snacks and hot chocolate then stop at the diner on our way home. Never killed when they were with me but we always have fun!

Our daughter was sitting with me when she was 5 and a 6 pointer walked by.  I asked her what she wanted me to do and she looked at me like I had two heads and says "Shoot it, what else".   So I shot it.  :rofl:

Edited by Rusty

Ameristep doghouse. Big enough for what you want. Not heavy. Not expensive   

I have 2 boys who hunt. Ground blind is the way to go. 

If you're gonna setup up a double ladder you have to wrap it with fabric (camo) because the deer will spot legs, hands, arm movement. Ask me how I know. Lol. 

Nick

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Our daughter was sitting with me when she was 5 and a 6 pointer walked by.  I asked her what she wanted me to do and she looked at me like I had two heads and says "Shoot it, what else".   So I shot it.  :rofl:

When my boys saw a deer their first time out they YELLED DEER!

Tip - if you take the young kids out (scouting, cam check, hunting, building blinds, whatever), make sure you spray them down good - keep the bugs away. The last thing you want is for them to come home and have a tick(s) on them - then they just freak out and never want to go in the woods ever again. Might be a girl thing; dunno if boys will react the same way. Ask me how *I* know! :blink: