yoda4x4

Hunting with Little Ones - Help Needed

Come this hunting season, my daughter will be about 5-1/2 yrs old and I'd like to try taking her in the woods during early bow (deer) season. Up until now, I have almost zero experience hunting from the ground. I find that I tend to get very antsy when I am on the ground due to my sight being limited; I'm way more relaxed up in a treestand. I'm thinking that a ground blind would be the way to go as it would allow my daughter to be comfortable and have some freedom to move around but I'd be more on edge as a result. The other choice would be a 2 person ladder stand that would make me more comfortable but probably less so for her.

Which way should I go? And if it's a ground blind, which one do you recommend? It'll be set and left so weight isn't much of a consideration.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When my kids were younger I tried the double stand and was busted every time cause they can't sit still.  I finally put them in a blind with a game boy and the volume turned down, that kept them busy until something showed up 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Stewey said:

When my kids were younger I tried the double stand and was busted every time cause they can't sit still.  I finally put them in a blind with a game boy and the volume turned down, that kept them busy until something showed up 

What he said.  :up: :up:

Most importantly, remember that the time you are sharing together is much more important than taking game.    

• Like 3

Have them come and help you build you own ground blind with as much cover as possible.  They will be more into it because they were involved and you will have something less detectable from the human eye and more acceptable by the deer.  Let me add that early on, keep the hunts short.  Try mid day and worry less about success and scaring game away early on and more about making sure they have a good time with you.  If they want to be with you, the hunting enjoyment will come around.

Pics need flipping.

IMG_2169.JPG.88abd685652dcbd0a84aff3572e36e2e.JPGIMG_2169.JPG.88abd685652dcbd0a84aff3572e36e2e.JPG

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2284 (1).jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Edited by Live to Hunt
  • Like 2

My 2 sons are 6 and I got a big pop up blind that we all fit in and honestly after 2hrs they are ready to go lol. But for my situation the ground blind is the best way

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

honestly after 2hrs they are ready to go lol. 

Keep the hunts short and fun.  :up:

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Keep the hunts short and fun.  :up:

I do. We bring snacks and hot chocolate then stop at the diner on our way home. Never killed when they were with me but we always have fun!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

I do. We bring snacks and hot chocolate then stop at the diner on our way home. Never killed when they were with me but we always have fun!

Our daughter was sitting with me when she was 5 and a 6 pointer walked by.  I asked her what she wanted me to do and she looked at me like I had two heads and says "Shoot it, what else".   So I shot it.  :rofl:

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ameristep doghouse. Big enough for what you want. Not heavy. Not expensive   

I have 2 boys who hunt. Ground blind is the way to go. 

If you're gonna setup up a double ladder you have to wrap it with fabric (camo) because the deer will spot legs, hands, arm movement. Ask me how I know. Lol. 

Nick

Ground blind and when she is ready to go, go. Don't force it or she won't like it and stop going. Make a day of scouting and putting blind up. Make it fun

• Like 1

Ground blind as others have said .  As far as which one to get it all depends on how much you want to spend . Lots of options out there .  Enjoy your time with your daughter ! 

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Our daughter was sitting with me when she was 5 and a 6 pointer walked by.  I asked her what she wanted me to do and she looked at me like I had two heads and says "Shoot it, what else".   So I shot it.  :rofl:

When my boys saw a deer their first time out they YELLED DEER!

• Haha 1

Tip - if you take the young kids out (scouting, cam check, hunting, building blinds, whatever), make sure you spray them down good - keep the bugs away. The last thing you want is for them to come home and have a tick(s) on them - then they just freak out and never want to go in the woods ever again. Might be a girl thing; dunno if boys will react the same way. Ask me how *I* know! :blink:

• Like 1

I used to sit on the foot platform and my uncle was in the seat, when he hit me with his right knee that meant there coming from the right, same left, and tap on the head means their coming from behind us. Just seeing the deer in the woods was great for me as a kid, not many harvest went on as I spooked them. I'm also starting my son hunting this year, I set up a double ladder stand in the back yard and my son act like it's his tree house, so i know he's comfortable

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HNTRDIVER said:

I'm also starting my son hunting this year, I set up a double ladder stand in the back yard and my son act like it's his tree house, so i know he's comfortable

That's so great Diver, enjoy it, the time goes way too fast.  

Don't be on edge when hunting with your kid. It will not be about you getting a deer but about her having a good time, and that can not be stressful. The blind is the way to go 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Don't be on edge when hunting with your kid. It will not be about you getting a deer but about her having a good time, and that can not be stressful. 

:agree:  :agree:  :agree:

Maybe try small game first...I know with my son he can't sit still or shut up for more then 30 sec. so for now we are just rabbit and squirrel hunting...but when it is time to take him I'm going to put him in a blind with me till he seems to understand the sit still part ...then we have to work on the don't yell ' daddy look the deer is coming!' lol

• Agree 1

I use both ground blind and double ladder stand with a blind around it 

I don’t take my daughter bow hunting only with the slug gun deer hunting, upland hunting and turkey hunting 

I bring headphones for when she gets bored so she can watch a cartoon on my phone.

She will be 5 soon and has been coming with me the last two seasons, a lot last season. she absolutely loves going and I love her going.

They’re going to scare game away it’s part of learning, if your not prepared or don’t have the patience for that to happen then don’t take them until they’re older if they still want to go. You want to make it fun and exciting.

5D67DD0E-E5BC-4A04-9CAE-BE873756F633.jpeg

D33040FB-DD0D-442B-AD16-148B9B3A89F3.jpeg

• Like 3

Appreciate all the replies. Sounds like a ground blind is the way to go. As far as being antsy, this will have zero to do with my daughter being there. The few times I've sat on the ground I'm just stressed because I can't see anywhere near as much as I do in a treestand.

And yeah, I'm already preparing myself for the "Daddy deer!" that's bound to be blurted out. LOL I just hope we see some deer and I know she'll be hooked from there on out.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk