IGNORED

New gun law ?

I have a friend in nj with a pistol that came with a 13rnd magazine. The new law says 10rnd max, unless you register the firearm. Heres my ?.

Isnt the handgun registered already from purchase?

Why are there no forms on the NJSP firearm form page?

And are these "laws" really in effect yet?

They say 180 days from when signed is the deadline to do whatever you need to do to be in compliance.

Thanks

Eh... unless I'm mistaken, 11+ round magazines will be illegal. Unless a cop (IIRC) you can't own them after the 180 day period, registered or not. I would have to re-read the law, but I don't recall reading anything about an out-clause like that.

Edited by mazzgolf

This is what I found:

2C :39-3.  Prohibited Weapons and Devices.

j.   Any person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered:   

(1)   an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army

So, yes, you can register an "assault" firearm (you are registering the gun, not the magazine) so long as the magazine is used in shooting matches sanctioned by the Army. Good luck :) 

OK, I found what I think your friend is thinking about. But, if I read this correctly, unless your friend's magazine is incapable of being modified to accommodate 10 rounds or less, then this doesn't apply. You can't say, "I have a 13-round magazine, I want to register my gun to keep it." You have to say, "I have a 13-round magazine that is incapable of being modified to accept 10-or-less-rounds, and I want to register to keep it."

But read the law for yourself and see what you think:

2C:39-20  Registration of certain firearms.

7. a. A person who legally owns a firearm as set forth in paragraph (1) or (2) of this subsection prior to the effective date of P.L.2018, c.39 (C.2C:39-17 et al.) shall register that firearm within one year from the effective date:

(1)   a firearm with a fixed magazine capacity holding up to 15 rounds which is incapable of being modified to accommodate 10 or less rounds; or 

(2)   a firearm which only accepts a detachable magazine with a capacity of up to 15 rounds which is incapable of being modified to accommodate 10 or less rounds

b.   In order to register the firearm pursuant to subsection a. of this section, the owner shall: 

(1)   complete a registration statement, in the form to be prescribed by the Superintendent of the State Police; and 

(2)    produce for inspection a valid firearms purchaser identification card, permit to carry a handgun, or permit to purchase a handgun. 

c.   The information provided in the registration statement established pursuant to subsection b. of this section shall include, but shall not be limited to: the name and address of the registrant; the number or numbers on the registrant's firearms purchaser identification card, permit to carry a handgun, or permit to purchase a handgun; and the make, model, and serial number of the firearm being registered.  Each registration statement shall be signed by the registrant, and the signature shall constitute a representation of the accuracy of the information contained in the registration statement.  

d.   An applicant shall register the firearm in the law enforcement agency of the municipality in which the applicant resides or, if the municipality does not have a municipal law enforcement agency, any State Police station.

e.   Within 60 days of the effective date of P.L.2018, c.39 (C.2C:39-17 et al.), the superintendent shall prepare the form of registration statement as described in subsection c. of this section and shall provide a suitable supply of statements to each organized full-time municipal police department and each State Police station.  

f.   One copy of the completed registration statement shall be returned to the registrant, a second copy shall be sent to the superintendent, and, if the registration takes place at a municipal police department, a third copy shall be retained by that municipal police department.  

g.   The heir or estate of an owner of a firearm which has been registered pursuant to this section shall within 90 days after the owner's death dispose of that firearm in accordance with section 5 of P.L.2018, c.39 (C.2C:39-19).

And it looks like the state police has 60 days since enactment to come up with and publish the registration forms. So I think that is why no forms are available yet..

Edited by mazzgolf

The registration is not as you please..  you must belong to a club that participates in matches and show proof to register..  a normal person can not register they  must make mag compliant.. either go to a Smith that is modifying or buy new mags

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

The registration is not as you please..  you must belong to a club that participates in matches and show proof to register..  a normal person can not register they  must make mag compliant.. either go to a Smith that is modifying or buy new mags

Right. That's 2C :39-3(j) in my first post. And its not just "belongs to a club that participates in matches" - the matches must be sanctioned by the US Army!

The only other alternative that I found is in this new 2C:39-20 - no mention of clubs or matches - but the sticking point there is the gun or magazine must be incapable of being modified. Only then can you register the gun in order to keep it. I'll assume you would need a gunsmith to stipulate that the gun is not able to be modified before you can register it - but without seeing the state police forms, who knows how they determine if something is "incapable" of being modified.

In short, in all likelihood, that 13-rnd magazine is going to be illegal soon. The politicians certainly did not make it easy for your friend to keep it, that much is for sure.

I agree with mazz, you are probably going to need some "NJ certified" person (i.e. gunsmith, gun lawyer, whatever) validating your claim that the magazine isn't capable of being modified, and even then you may not qualify for registering the gun to allow for owning the magazine.

What a dumb set of laws...none of which make anyone safer.  Just makes criminals out of many who are probably unaware of the change.

56 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

The range shore shot by me is pinning to make compliant...  all mags.  He is charging 15 dollars..  I found a few 10 rnd mags on gun mag warehouse for a little more than 15 dollars for my 40..

If reducing the magazine capacity is what you want to do there is an easy DIY technique. Get a pipe cutter; remove the cutting wheels and replace with flat washers; determine exactly where the magazine needs to be dented to reduce the capacity to the desired number; then simply create a dent (dimple) at that location. The magazine capacity will be permanently reduced.

5 minutes ago, Fireguy079 said:

i just went on magazineblocks.com and spent the 4 bucks each and installed them myself. now my 13 round glock mags only accept 10 rounds.

Sorry but I don't believe its legal as it can be readily returned to 13 rnd  capacity..  the modification must be permanent