Swamp_Yankee

Small pond management?

10 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

We all thought there wud b a state record in there, but the crew that did the transplanting of fish to Colliers mills said there were mostly dinks, with a handful of 2-4 lbers n a few 5lbers as lunkers.....when I asked where were the "Monsters", they said the poor tanic water quality is not fertile enough to sustain for monster bass. 

Yeah i remember they said there was 2 that would have broke the record but that's only hear-say. With out seeing them or at least pictures it's hard to believe. 

• Like 1

As many of my posts on this lake that I have fished for some 30 years. I have seen it in good years to a point of unfishable come Summer, to spots where you could fish from Shore and boat. It got very little pressure at times to Secret Pressures by regulars. In short, The Township let it go due to funding till a local support has shown an interest and made improvements and some mistakes mostly again due to funding. The Lake reached a point it could not be ignored anymore. so with enough paperwork and back and forth to redo Lake Superior they Drained it did improvements to the Road Bank  ( DAM ) where the Outfall is located. Did the usual fish take out & put back? The weeds died BUT no improvements were made to the depth of the lake  ( Dredging )  So it Remains very shallow with a few Holes

To those familiar with the Lake where the outfall is they are putting a Bridge across it so people don't have to walk out on the road to access the Dam to Fish. Plus a lot of other improvements have been made A outdoor Theater Pedal boats and more. It once was a problem with Bucket sitters but that has been corrected. ( ICE )  

5c3004a9f15d46f21610400bdc69537b.jpg

53ece2a36ae9c98f0869cfa783b42420.jpg

Lots of good ideas here-thanks all.  I have so many other projects around here I may not do much with the pond this year, but I've got a lot more knowledge than I started with for sure.  I figure I have a few options.  One would be to draw it down in late summer/early fall by removing the vertical portion of the drain pipe which would drop the water level by 3'.  This way I could easily rake out the muck and pull/rake the vegetation.  Then at least I'd be starting fresh once it filled back up and I could go with a fish that will tolerate low DO like a brown bullhead catfish.

• Like 1

Sidenote-does anyone know if you can purchase fish from the state hatchery in Hackettstown?  It seems that not many hatcheries raise brown bullheads but Hackettstown does.  I'll call them tomorrow but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone here knew.

Not sure but in do know my buddy told me his catfish pond is filthy compared to his bass pond. Catfish stir up the mud. Not sure if you want clear water or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Not sure but in do know my buddy told me his catfish pond is filthy compared to his bass pond. Catfish stir up the mud. Not sure if you want clear water or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm willing to give it a shot.  The reality is that its never going to be a bass pond because it's just not deep enough.  From what I've read even if I aerate, etc...chances are any other type of fish will die over the winter.  If it turns out to be a mess I can always just drain it again and start over.  

Posted (edited)

Went to work today cleaning up the banks, raking some of the muck out of the shallows, and pulling out aquatic plants:

NEq0Mfs.jpg

I want to try to keep the banks trimmed short going forward-any tips on how to do it without making a mess in the water?  Its tough to see but on the far side I pulled an actual woody/thorny bush that looks like it had started on the bank and then extended its root system into the water.  The grass I'm going to have to pull by hand.  I'm planning on putting an old canoe in and throwing the stuff inside as I pull it.  

I freaked out when my rake caught this on the end of a stick I pulled out of the bottom:

PXG1SA7.jpg

47kWdna.jpg

My first thought was that it was eggs and that I had killed an entire generation of fish that I didn't even know that I had!  Fortunately I found on Google images that it was just a bryozoan which is kind of like an aquatic moss.  Apparently their presence indicates good water quality, so that's a plus.  I'm definitely going to go full steam ahead on the plan to stock with minnows, killfish, and brown bullheads since they should be able to thrive in the environment as it is.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee
  • Like 1