IGNORED

Turkey Defys Science & Turkey One OH Ome

1957Buck

Been seeing a Hen in my yard past 2 weeks Solo.  Could not get a photo. Till this Morning when my neighbor called me over to point to This Hen against the front foundation of his house. he was pulling the weeds and exposed it. At that time 3 eggs buy 3:30 12 Eggs.  I put some Branches for a cover that it liked since it ran off then returned in Minutes to sit. 

This same thing happened 2 Than 4 years ago. around the same foundation but on the side. The old Neighbor Did not Like it one bit and destroyed the Eggs and nest as the new one was no problem.  It says Lifespan 4 -5 the most. And Nest April - May I would like to think this Hen is a Regular  Returning.  It will be interesting to see the outcome as I will post Daily or Every other day Hoping to see some hatchlings  The odds are against her Bigtime.  The Brach is not in place yet in these photos   Have to take some Sun Rise photos to be Clearer 

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

She looks OLD. Hope the best for her and the eggs. 

My aunt has a duck do the same thing in her front yard. I found it couple Easter's ago, was helping my younger son look for eggs she had put out And I felt something bite my hand.  Lol. Month later the eggs hatched and the momma duck walked them out of the yard across a road to a pond a half me away. The duck has returned this past spring. 

7/09 /18  am Neighbour pulled all the weeds exposing her so This Morning I placed a Branch to give some Protection better than nothing but will improve on it some as she gets used to it. As she won't leave Nest with me Checking on her 

Heard they love Cheerios so she had Breakfast this morning  Future Pets. 

I am more confident this is the one from 3 years ago since she has no tail Feathers lost that year form someone trying to Catch her and took the eggs.  

Monday .JPG

Monday 2.JPG

Monday 3.JPG

Edited by 1957Buck

Checked in this morning 6:30 am -7/12 all good have not seen her off the Nest. I added some more cover for her for shade. Seems the Cheerios I gave her Monday that she devoured but now ignores. Even added a water dish she did peck at.  Can't imagine they go off feeding for a Month,  she must sneak off now and then

She also has become used to me and doesn't Spook. 

Edited by 1957Buck

6/14/2018 12;27 pm

Check in on Moma  Turkey sitting calmly not spooked by my presence She is back on Eating the Cheerios I feed her  Changed the Water also. I don't know how they survive in the wild and the feeding habits. Guess 3 more weeks till hatching.   Got a PM with advice to spray about spraying a relevant but did not want to bring attention to the area even though I read turkeys have no sense of smell or very little to none. so don't know about that

12 minutes ago, Stewey said:

Good job 57 like I said earlier, I am rooting for her. Please continue to keep us posted 

Thanks will do just ordered this Repellant covers many critters without harm. watched video on Havahart.  just sprinkle a Line around the nest some 5 foot away good for 30 days by then they will be on there own Than and they will be under the protection of Winchester from than on. 

71rR-EGZKqL._SL1500_.jpg

7/16/2018 She few past my front yard so I went over next door to check the Eggs ( 12 ) in all she only flew 2 houses down and began pecking around she made a Big circle around some 4 yards crossed back across the Street but kept just out of range for a photo waited 45 min to see her back on nest but gave up.  The Eggs are Buff Colored speckled And not much bigger than Jumbo Chicken eggs. ????  As I remember 2 years ago the nest that got destroyed had Whiter Larger eggs.  Can't imagine The Chicks in such small eggs and that they can fly at 2 weeks old.  Give water and Cheerios but since she leaves the nest might stop  

100_1289.JPG

6 hours ago, mikejd said:

Hens always leave there nest to feed on there own. That's why many states have hunting only until noon because most hens spend the afternoons on nests and they don't want hunters spooking hens off there nest.

Thanks this hen goes by her own clock as most women do she leaves between 3;30 4; 30 pm does a quick 1/2 mile range and then back on the Nest.   I got that Critter Ridder today from Amazon will put down at Sundown today. make a Big 1/2 circle from the foundation and back.  and then a 2nd 1/2 circle further out. It won't be for a lack of trying to protect her and the Eggs __soon to hatch. 3 weeks  I am guessing.