IGNORED

September Goose Hunting

Woodsman416

Who does it? What are your favorite tactics? Water or field?

The only shooting I've done in September is pass shooting geese at first light on the South Branch. I'm wondering about field hunting. Do they decoy well that early? What about late mornings on water?  Share your early season tactics.

I haven't done it in a long time, but I had the best results shooting over decoys on the water in the evening.  Sometimes you can shoot a few then the flock will circle around and come right back on the decoy spread while you are reloading.

Field shooting is problematic because you need to find a fields that has been harvested or mowed.  If there is high vegetation or crops they cannot see the decoys and wouldn't land there  even if they could.

Ken , as said already hay fields , alfalfa , early harvested corn fields cut for silage . Find a sweet corn field that has been brush hogged after picking and you could really get into them.  Agree with Trophy 8 on decoy setup  .  Down side is heat and bugs . 

In my experience so far early season is all about scouting, scouting and scouting.  They know where they  are  going and aren't going to divert from their path usually.  If you don't have the fields holding geese try and figure out their loafing ponds mid morning.  I've had the best luck on the ponds/river.