IGNORED

Wicked evil jellyfish of Abaco

JHbowhunter

As we were enjoying our last full day on Treasure Cay beach (pictured) in clear blue water a small clear jellyfish with long brown-red tentacles got Holly on arm as we were leaving. She said it felt like being electrocuted. Peeing on it is fake news farce. Vinegar right away but we didn’t have any  . Trying hydrocortisone cream today but rash getting worse. Anyone have experience here? 

4BF44525-8380-4C80-8664-43059B3498D5.jpeg

EA5D2934-1BAB-422B-99E9-9F084C1F2A6D.jpeg

3F19DF7B-EEAC-4332-97D3-9E2F7785BFBE.jpeg

AB801CC6-7977-4DDD-A8A8-A76CB36A32C1.jpeg

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Yikes!

Just read this...says HEAT is the answer (not ice/cold).

To stop the sting and bring relief, Wilcox recommends a three-step treatment:

Douse the area with vinegar, to rinse away the tentacles and deactivate the stinging cells. If you do this first, you won’t spread the sting to other areas when you attempt to remove the tentacles.

Pluck off the tentacles with tweezers. Scraping them off or rubbing with sand (another recommended approach) triggers any active stingers to release more venom, so you want to delicately lift the tentacles off the skin.

Apply heat.

While many medical professionals advise ice, and an ice pack may indeed temporarily numb the area, cold preserves the venom that’s already been injected, and in some cases may even enhance the action of the toxin, Wilcox says. Instead, heat permanently inactivates the venom, she says.

In two separate studies published in the journal Toxins, researchers looked at treatments for both the box jellyfish (some species of which can be fatal in severe cases) and the Portuguese man-of-war. They found that the same advice applies, regardless of which type of animal caused the sting. “You don’t have to be a jelly expert to know what to do,” Wilcox says.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/how-fix-jellyfish-sting-180963582/#QLCscRchhpSwufy6.99

Good thing it was the last day.  I was going to say piss on it but sounds like you may have tried that. LOL

What do the locals say to do I would think it happens often.

BTW did you lose power at all ? 

Hope she makes a Complete recovery That's no Fun. 

IMO a visit to the Doctor would have been a top Priority.  Toxic Reactions are serious and a lot of the Suffering Avoided.  Not going to mention the Out Comes of not getting medical attention ASAP. My Daughter is a Critical Care Nurse in a Hospital and has seen the results of Toxic Reactions From a Simple Bee Sting to a Jelly Fish.  My resistance is very low to the point I carry an Epe Pen Traveling.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

www.perseus-net.eu/en/in_case_it_stings _you/index.html   I hope this works it is valuable information everyone should know, It supplements BowhunterNJ  post  and the Dangers of Scarring and lingering effects  The photo is just one in that species

622.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

30 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

www.perseus-net.eu/en/in_case_it_stings _you/index.html   I hope this works it is valuable information everyone should know, It supplements BowhunterNJ  post  and the Dangers of Scarring and lingering effects  The photo is just one in that species

622.jpg

link doesn't work  that pic sort of looks like it...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….