IGNORED

Turkey Chicks?

I have these two hens under my feeder everyday.   Have not seen any chicks with them.   Do you think they have any and are just not bringing them?  Will a hen leave her chicks in a tree and come over to feed under the feeder, like a doe will leave her fawn and go off feeding?   I am hoping they have some chicks.

IMG_1593.jpg

Been a Mystery to me also with all the activity around my house I have never seen any Chicks or for that Matter any Turkeys but a few Males and single female passing by this time of year  I m sure predators have some part in it. with all the Coons and Possums Fox in my area, most eggs don't stand a chance.  Not to leave out the states Trap and Destroy in my areas and Surrounding Areas. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

What a coincidence, I've been seeing two hens around my house and no chicks at all.  Today they walked between my back deck and truck with no cares in the world, again no chicks.  Got me wondering cause I've been seeing a black cat hanging around in the woods.   

No offense, but every single year we all read the same posts - there are NO fawns around and there are NO turkey poults around only to find the next fall/spring are completely normal in nearly every zone in the state.  Grass and shrubs are very thick this time of year and the poults may just be hanging in deeper cover eating insects.  Sure, cold spring rains and predators will take their tolls, but Mother Nature always finds a way to bring everything into balance if we don't try too hard to stop her.   

Hens will not leave their poults.  However it takes two weeks before poults can fly and with all the predators around it can be tough especially at night.  Many times around my house I would have a hen with 10-12 poults and by the time they were big enough not to be so vulnerable there would be maybe 4 left. I have a ton of fox at my place.