IGNORED

Tree Bush identification

I have these all over my property in Warren County. They average 8-10 feet tall and grow in groups. Nothing eats them and this year more than half are dead. I know a lot of guys here seem to know their s**t. I took these pics today. One farther away, a leaf close up and the base. Any help is appreciated. 

IMG_8998.JPG

IMG_8999.JPG

IMG_9001.JPG

9 hours ago, NotJust22s said:

Went back out and checked, yes to smell and white dots. Only questions now is why are so many dying? Has it been too wet?

For the last 2 years the Spicebush by me have been dying and I don't know why.  This is in the middle of Sparta Mt WMA, no where near any type of human activity.   

For the last 2 years the Spicebush by me have been dying and I don't know why.  This is in the middle of Sparta Mt WMA, no where near any type of human activity.   

It’s age. The deer do not allow spicebush to shoot new shoots because they love to browse them. Without new sprout growth, spicebush grows old quickly and dies off.

If you want proof, put a 5’ high wire cage around them for a couple of years and let us know after that how they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

It’s age. The deer do not allow spicebush to shoot new shoots because they love to browse them. Without new sprout growth, spicebush grows old quickly and dies off.

If you want proof, put a 5’ high wire cage around them for a couple of years and let us know after that how they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is when the barberry really steps up its game - which sucks.

It is also why real biologists and people concerned about environmental health support deer control through hunting.

I have noticed good morel spots ruined by this - they do not seem to thrive under barberry.

Edited by madeinuk