LPJR

Hit the Big Flatbrook with BucksnBows and my son

Posted (edited)

Hit the no kill stretch of the Big Flatbrook today with Brian (BucksnBows) and my son with the fly rods, after he got out of school. My son and I only got into fly fishing for trout 2 years ago and have not really went too much, always using spinning gear when we go.  Had a GREAT time today and especially loved watching my son fish with Brian assisting for the numerous rainbows that were there. After my son missed several trout he then began to hit them steadily. Took some pics that are attached below for the couple of hours we were there. 

One of the coolest parts of the day was when an old timer walking down to the stream, stopped above and just stood there watching.  The veteran fisherman said to us as we were leaving,  "that he truly enjoyed watching that young man catch fish and this really made his day." I was able to get a pic of him when several riders on horseback stopped by as well. Actually looked like a pic out of Field & Stream magazine and was very cool. Huge thanks and kudos to BucksnBows for getting together, something we absolutely have to do again. :up:

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_181501.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_163021.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_163816.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_183616.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_192027.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_183851.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180613_182235.jpg

Edited by LPJR
  • Like 18
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 5

Posted (edited)

thats awesome, i havent fly fished in quite a few years. i use to love fly fishing for weekfish in the bay

Edited by rgw
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

That is Awesome!!! 

I really enjoyed reading that, and Great pics!!:up:

• Like 1

Awesome!!

I love the pic of the old-timer:up:

• Like 3

I actually felt pressure because Lou's son has a lot "riding" on his son catching a trout on the fly.  But I'll let Lou tell that story.  More pix to come after I eat dinner.  Great time, Lou! 

BTW, why does that son of yours have the reflexes of a dead man? :rofl:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bucksnbows said:

I actually felt pressure because Lou's son has a lot "riding" on his son catching a trout on the fly.  But I'll let Lou tell that story.  More pix to come after I eat dinner.  Great time, Lou! 

BTW, why does that son of yours have the reflexes of a dead man? :rofl:  

I would also feel pressure with Lou standing behind me:super:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

What a great day,  very cool boys.  :up:

Great pictures.  :up:

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

More pix. I was expecting Lou to be wearing a tweed coat and matching hat, but no go on this trip.

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Looks like a great time Lou. Your son is learning from one of the best fly guys around.  

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

After Jr was missing a couple of trout because he wasn't concentrating, I jokingly said to Brian that I was maybe not going to "concentrate" on checking out a couple of YZ125 dirt bikes we are planning on looking at to upgrade his 100 unless he caught one.…...AMAZING how fast he began to hook up and land trout within 5 minutes! :rofl:  Was lots of fun Brian! 

Edited by LPJR
  • Haha 6
  • Winner 1

Looks like a successful trip.  Any bugs coming off the water?  What flies were you using?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cappy said:

Looks like a successful trip.  Any bugs coming off the water?  What flies were you using?

No, but as is typical of Woerner's Hole, fish were rising sporadically to whatever.  Pine needles mostly.  I wished I had my terrestrial box because a black ant would have been the ticket.  That said, we fished dirty.  As in a gray mop fly with an orange head and a rainbow warrior trailer under a strike indicator.  Lou landed one stripping an olive woolly bugger.

Lou, let's get out again soon!   

• Like 1

Look’s like all involved had a great day on the water awesome pics. :cool:

• Like 1

You picked a good hole to start the young lad on! Nice job by both instructor and pupil!  I like the pic of the stunted 'bow, seen a few of them the past couple of years during float stockings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave B. said:

You picked a good hole to start the young lad on! Nice job by both instructor and pupil!  I like the pic of the stunted 'bow, seen a few of them the past couple of years during float stockings.

:up: Thanks. The stunted rainbow was one of the oddest looking ones I have seen in the Flatbrook in a long time. 

8 hours ago, LPJR said:

After Jr was missing a couple of trout because he wasn't concentrating, I jokingly said to Brian that I was maybe not going to "concentrate" on checking out a couple of YZ125 dirt bikes we are planning on looking at to upgrade his 100 unless he caught one.…...AMAZING how fast he began to hook up and land trout within 5 minutes! :rofl:  Was lots of fun Brian! 

:rofl: :rofl:

• Haha 1

Looks like a great time. The pictures are awesome as well .Very Cool!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

No, but as is typical of Woerner's Hole, fish were rising sporadically to whatever.  Pine needles mostly.  I wished I had my terrestrial box because a black ant would have been the ticket.  That said, we fished dirty.  As in a gray mop fly with an orange head and a rainbow warrior trailer under a strike indicator.  Lou landed one stripping an olive woolly bugger.

Lou, let's get out again soon!   

The dreaded mop fly...LOL  At least it wasn't blue or purple.  They do work and I carry a few for prospecting new water.

• Like 3

Awesome report! Brian is a good fishing guide. Congrats to your son Lou on catching a bunch of nice trout 

• Like 1