IGNORED

Pike Reproduction?

Mink

I know the state has successfully introduced Northern Pike in some NJ waters. I was wondering if there is any natural reproduction going on. Years ago I had heard rumors about one body of water but it was never confirmed.

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

Yes, I know for example that Smoke Rise Lake in Kinnelon has or had natural reproduction.  Pines Lake is Wayne does as well just to name two.  Both are private, however.  I'm sure there are many, many more.  I do know some lakes don't see reproduction, but I can't say I know enough why that is.  Smoke Rise used to exchange pike for largemouth bass from High Crest Lake in West Milford in the early 70s which is not kosher, but I know it was a thing.  We caught some monster pike, but they never reproduced in High Crest where I grew up.  Plenty of good habitat, but perhaps the stream that filled it was far too small for spawning, that I don't know.   

Interesting that there is very little information from F+G on natural reproduction of Northern Pike in NJ. They say it's sustains itself by collecting eggs from donors and raising them. Good to hear that some reproduction goes on.

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

14 hours ago, Mink said:

Interesting that there is very little information from F+G on natural reproduction of Northern Pike in NJ. They say it's sustains itself by collecting eggs from donors and raising them. Good to hear that some reproduction goes on.

True, but you won't find them writing articles about natural reproduction of walleyes, small and largemouth bass, bluegills, etc. and all of those are introduced species to NJ waters.