IGNORED

Spinning Reel ?

Mink

Idk fellas, i have had 3 shimanos end up with wobbling spools after fierce strikes and fast runs from hybred stripers. Seems the main shaft bent under the stress. Replaced them with Okuma Epixors and the reels have remained smooth for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

Okuma reels are like any other. They have low cost reels and expensive reels. Expect the quality to be relative to the price. A 50% off deal sounds good. I always "google" the exact reel they are selling to see if Ebay or Amazon is selling it cheaper. If you are an occasional fisherman, a low end Okuma is OK.

Okuma reels are like any other. They have low cost reels and expensive reels. Expect the quality to be relative to the price. A 50% off deal sounds good. I always "google" the exact reel they are selling to see if Ebay or Amazon is selling it cheaper. If you are an occasional fisherman, a low end Okuma is OK.

Agree, you get what you pay for. One thing i can say is the Epixor performs like reels twice the price. The shimanos i spoke of above were expensive reels that made me really lose faith in shimano. I also use the Epixor in large surf size with fireline and it has withstood quite a few false albie fights...a true test for any reel

AWM

Maximums curious as to what shimano reels you had the issues with.. I run both stradics and saragosa.   The only issue I've ever had was the line roller berringgoing bad...  both these reels are in the 200 to 300 range depending on size...  I also have a friend that has had luck with the sphyros wich is again the 200 range.... those are saltwater applications for me..  I don't do much fresh water but my trout rods I've had a fluger for years and recently purchased a leews micro spin that is nice for the trout here in the 20 dollar range...

Edited by vdep217

I used Shimano for years .But recently bought a few Penn conflicts and they are pretty darn solid reels. I  bought the 1000,2500 and 4000 for 70 bucks a piece. That was a  sale at bass pro a few months back. They are normally 130-150 bucks. so couldn't resist using some of my gift cards and giving them a try. Really happy with them so far. My Shimano Stradics from over 20 years ago have been dropped in mud you name it. And after a good cleaning and lube they work flawlessly still. Can't beat that.

Maximums curious as to what shimano reels you had the issues with.. I run both stradics and saragosa.   The only issue I've ever had was the line roller berringgoing bad...  both these reels are in the 200 to 300 range depending on size...  I also have a friend that has had luck with the sphyros wich is again the 200 range.... those are saltwater applications for me..  I don't do much fresh water but my trout rods I've had a fluger for years and recently purchased a leews micro spin that is nice for the trout here in the 20 dollar range...

Baitrunners about 10 years old, not sure about the third reel i will have to look in the garage and get back to you. None of them were 200-300 price range reels though

AWM

From my experience it seems the value vs quality is in that 150 300 range..  I'm in the same range now with my conventional and casting reels..  although I've had 99 dollar Abu Garcia that are 15 plus years old n still fling strong I've started using avet...  I just can't justify right now going for a sealed reellike z bass vs or accurate.. for what I do what I have is perfect

From my experience it seems the value vs quality is in that 150 300 range..  I'm in the same range now with my conventional and casting reels..  although I've had 99 dollar Abu Garcia that are 15 plus years old n still fling strong I've started using avet...  I just can't justify right now going for a sealed reellike z bass vs or accurate.. for what I do what I have is perfect

I understand what you’re saying. My point is do i need to spend 200 for a shimano that will not fail as opposed to an 80-100 Okuma that has proven to me not to fail? I used shimanos since i started fishing in 1976, still have my original ultralight that i used for trout back then and it still works perfect, maybe the baitrunner series wasnt made with hybreds and fireline in mind LOL But as you know as a saltwater fisherman, if a spinning reel can stand up to multiple albies... it’s a keeper. Btw, good luck with the Avet, sweet reels

AWM

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was just looking for an " extra" reel to add to my arsenal , it wouldn't be my go to reel and just wanted to know if it was junk. 

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege