IGNORED

Good Deal @ Riverdale BJ’s

Ringwoodfrank

12 minutes ago, Ringwoodfrank said:

As much fun as it would be to fill up another 40 safe, I’m Definitely NOT moving another one. 

Hear you on that one helped a neighbor bring in and down the Cellar stairs a  2 1/2 sq ft Safe slid it down on Planks with 3 holding back on a rope. Can't imagine doing that safe. I even Bolted it to the floor for him like someone was going to pick it up a carry it away.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

5 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Have to be a member or guest with a member.  They would fix the tax when he brings the receipt and exempt notice the next time he goes there.   Special trip not needed.   I'm going by there today, and would happily get the refund for you, if only I was still a member.

Good deal if it's a fire rated model.

seeing a few after fires  that I've been part of over haul I will never buy a fire rated safe it's a waste of money.   The ones I've seen even the higher end ones the guns were unsalvageable these were in direct contact with fire and one was a room in contents that got to hot...  just my opinion purchase what makes you comfortable and able to sleep but that's my experience.   That's whay insurance is for

8 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

seeing a few after fires  that I've been part of over haul I will never buy a fire rated safe it's a waste of money.   The ones I've seen even the higher end ones the guns were unsalvageable these were in direct contact with fire and one was a room in contents that got to hot...  just my opinion purchase what makes you comfortable and able to sleep but that's my experience.   That's whay insurance is for

That's good to know.

Correct the location is every thing.   Putting the safe near an exterior wall allows for venting to happen sooner wich will keep the interior of the safe cooler longer but think of this...  the average temp of a structure fire in a home is 1200 degrees most safes are 1200 degrees for 30 minutes there ate some 90 minutes..  average response time is about 7 minuetsfor the fire dep to arrive..  by that point the safe has been heating fur 7 minuets.   Yes the steal on the gun will handle that temp wich is now around 180 to 200 in that safe assuming fire is in the same room as safe.   The plastics or wood and internal parts have been compromised by this point if room and contents fire and extinguished in under 10 to 15 minutes from ignition your contents will be ok.. when most fires are called in they have already surpassed room in contents and are on the verge of becoming fully involved wich temps and every thing I said above is now mute..  Again with structure fires and gun safes my experience is they don't survive. Fully involved..  now I have seen the little fire safes for documents and smaller items survive..  I attribute this to the material used and the surface area being smaller and does not conduct heat as the larger steal gun safes

I'll tell the FD to keep the hoses on the safe, screw the rest of the house.  The WWII luger, and other important papers, are in firesafes withing the gunsafe.  The other guns can be replaced.  If that old garage catches fire, it should burn down within 30 minutes.

23 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Hear you on that one helped a neighbor bring in and down the Cellar stairs a  2 1/2 sq ft Safe slid it down on Planks with 3 holding back on a rope. Can't imagine doing that safe. I even Bolted it to the floor for him like someone was going to pick it up a carry it away.

Had to do the same thing with my sons gunsafe.  I'm not looking forward to the day he moves, and wants my help getting it out.

Edited by Greybeard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...