LPJR

2018 Velvet bucks/Trail cam pics

Was talking about setting up this thread with Buck154 today. Love seeing the bucks this time of year, as they will progress quickly in the next few months. Just put a camera on a mineral site a couple of days ago and got pics of this skinny guy who needs to find a gym.. This thread could be neat, post up some pics if you wish. Game on....

20180602_113150.jpg

20180602_113449.jpg

20180602_113247.jpg

• Like 12

just set two up this morning on some public. already can't wait to check them in a month.

• Like 3

Nice Lou. I will be checking one camera in a little bit. It's been out for around a week. Hope some bucks on it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ThatsABingo said:

just set two up this morning on some public. already can't wait to check them in a month.

I could never wait a month to check a camera unless it was in another state. Bad addiction 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

The torn ear buck I know well.  As scrawny as he is - he is 4 years 7 days and 6 hours old.  He was a real healthy looking 3.5 year old last Fall - would have easily dressed 170+ lbs, but you would not know it by looking at his winter and rut worn body.  He is in the 1st and 3rd pics. 

05200470.JPG

05200073.JPG

05180916.JPG

05170755.JPG

05170753.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Like 10

Checked mine the other day after having it out a week.  Had a couple, maybe 3, bucks on camera.  Pictures were bad, and the date/ time was wrong, so I deleted everything.  Have to go back out to change the date/time now.  Guess I have to reset that every time I change batteries.  Have to think of another place to put it.   I move my camera every time I change out the card.

• Like 3

I like Torn Ear Buck pretty cool.  Love the camera pics.  Its time I set one up on my property. 

• Like 3

Checked one camera and got this buck on there along with one other one smaller. Hopefully get some better pictures next check

20180602_174943.jpg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Think the one that made the big rubs last year made it.  Maybe I'll figure him out this year.  Place is really thick, though, with many areas to hide in.  He has 3 times the growth of the bucks I had on camera a few days ago.

MFDC9885a.thumb.jpg.e78c3de8c56d45f518a974a95c68542e.jpgMFDC9890aa.thumb.jpg.c79048fb360a642260118747227d1c72.jpg

IMG_8330ca.thumb.jpg.c073f495d167bb2d864ec83fb6080d9c.jpg

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like 9

Here is "Ole One Eye" he was a 8 last year but short tines and a doe that looks like she is still carrying a fawn. Still no fawns on camera. 

20180603_122950.jpg

20180603_123156.jpg

• Like 8

Greybeard he looks like he is going to be wide and high. Good buck

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Think the one that made the big rubs last year made it.  Maybe I'll figure him out this year.  Place is really thick, though, with many areas to hide in.  He has 3 times the growth of the bucks I had on camera a few days ago.

MFDC9885a.thumb.jpg.e78c3de8c56d45f518a974a95c68542e.jpgMFDC9890aa.thumb.jpg.c79048fb360a642260118747227d1c72.jpg

IMG_8330ca.thumb.jpg.c073f495d167bb2d864ec83fb6080d9c.jpg

Good one in the making Greybeard! Keep the pics coming :up:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Good one in the making Greybeard! Keep the pics coming :up:

Moved the camera again.  He had 3 places where he rubbed the trees like that, about 200 yards apart.  Going to try to get an idea of what direction he comes from when he comes into each of those spots, then triangulate to find a probable bedding area.  Already have an idea of a few spots where he may be bedding, but that could all change when he sheds velvet, so I want to make the best educated guess to get him during the first couple days of the season, and when he's actively rubbing again.  I'll post any other pics I get of him, if I get another one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Moved the camera again.  He had 3 places where he rubbed the trees like that, about 200 yards apart.  Going to try to get an idea of what direction he comes from when he comes into each of those spots, then triangulate to find a probable bedding area.  Already have an idea of a few spots where he may be bedding, but that could all change when he sheds velvet, so I want to make the best educated guess to get him during the first couple days of the season, and when he's actively rubbing again.  I'll post any other pics I get of him, if I get another one.

This part of the season and having history with certain bucks is why I love this scouting time of year. Sounds like a good plan beard! :up: Any pics of him from last year? He definitely has some great growth this early, and is definitely mature.......

• Like 1

This guy was an 8 last year.  I took this picture a couple hours ago. Cool  watching them grow.

IMG_6987.JPG

• Like 9

Looking good Hemlock :up:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

Love these pics 

Time to get your new cameras going Todd. Let me know when you want to build the blind....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPJR said:

This part of the season and having history with certain bucks is why I love this scouting time of year. Sounds like a good plan beard! :up: Any pics of him from last year? He definitely has some great growth this early, and is definitely mature.......

I stop using the camera weeks before the season opens, for a couple reasons, and didn't find the rubs until later during the season.  Never seen him, or very many other deer.  My  hair stood up during muzzleloader season when I heard a deer coming through thick stuff, heading towards me in patch of open woods leading to the rubs, just before dark.  Turned out to be a smaller 6pt.    I've seen other nice bucks(have pics of them someplace), and good sign in the area for many years, but nothing like the rubs last year.   

38106909315_c67e9cc749_b.jpgIMG_8347ca by shot4u2c, on Flickr

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Best one on this camera  this check

20180610_071133.jpg

Nice John. This month he will explode. I still cannot get over the fact that they like the big red trace mineral blocks by you. The deer walk right passed them when I have used them in the past by me....I wish they would like them, for the price of a big block they can't be beat...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Nice John. This month he will explode. I still cannot get over the fact that they like the big red trace mineral blocks by you. The deer walk right passed them when I have used them in the past by me....I wish they would like them, for the price of a big block they can't be beat...

Definitely hit it

20180513_095723.jpg

Edited by Buck154
Wrong picture
  • Like 2