IGNORED

Is fluke fishing really worth it?

DBuck

With the size limits is it really worth spending the money? I've been reading reports and it doesn't seem like the boats are catching too many keepers. I know the season just started but usually there's more pictures of guys with keepers. I'm supposed to put a trip together for some guys at work that don't really fish much, I don't want them all coming home empty handed.

Imo fluke isn't the best way to put meat on the deck unless you have a Capt. Like Dan hammer for reel that knows his shit and knows where to run. He kills them and is letting go what most would put in the box

Edited by rgw

Private boats who fish consistently year after year can capitalize on fluke. Party boats are a waste usually. Just stand on the dock and watch people coming off. You can tell by the looks on their faces that they had lousy fishing. I will not spend $60 to go on a party boat. Rather spend it on two lobster dinners.

How many guys ?

Not sure he has any dates, but for 6-14 Fish monger is the boat for a fluke party .

If fishing with a bunch of newbies I would take them for sea bass.

Much easier to catch , can keep ten ( for some parts of the season ) and they are one of the best eating fish in the ocean..

IMO fluking is as good or better than it ever was. The difference is NMFS hit the magic number to reduce the amount of keepers.

Guys wanna still fish in those areas where they get lots of action instead of searching out spots that hold bigger fish all the time.

even on a good day IMO with a 3 fish limit its a lot to pay for a charter boat to fluke.

Honestly  3 fish at 18" is a joke, most days we are done in a few drifts .

But the guys I fish with make it look easy as we don't miss many fish .

Its all about hook up numbers.

Get 10 bites , catch 10 fish it was an active day.

Get 10 bites and catch 2 that person thinks it sucked.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Hammer got sone of what I was gonna say with the bite to landed ratio.   I will add to it by saying some people fish the same spots year round.   While some may hold fish always we get storms that change the geographic of the ocean bottom. What held fish in years past might not this year.   For the most part guysI fish with we try to stay away from the groups of boats.  I have done very well getting off the reefs and drifting the lumps either farther or closer.   I normally start with a long drift until we get a fish than shorten up to pinpoint.   I've also had days when one bait wouldn't get a hit the moment I switch it's hit after hit.  As for party boats I did a couple a year.   it's time on the water for me.   I will say that I do constantly change until I get a steady bite.   Just my opinion

because most of my saltwater NJ fishing life involved bluefish, bonito, false albies, tuna and shark - I only recently started to fish for fluke in the last 8 years  or so.  It might take me all day to catch a limit (if lucky) among dozens of shorts, but I find it very relaxing. I would take a day of fluke and seabass over a canyon trip at this point in my life.  There is a lot more to it than just dragging baits or bouncing bucktails, each form has nuances and finesse is often required.   Watching some of the really good bucktailers perform that I have fished with like Hammer, Zipper and Makosnax (that guy never game over here but he another excellent bucktailer), motivates me to move away from bait and become more dedicated to bucktailing. I am pretty much the short-master, I can catch a lot of fluke but I have yet to land a true doormat or anything over 25" (which I  would say is probably my largest).  Basically the 3 fish limit doesn't impact me much, I just go out and have fun on the water. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Recreational fishing is for fun. You will never break even or ahead monetarily with the current laws in place. Ask any of us who owns their own boat. 🤣🤣🤣 Believe me paying for a trip on a rental or party boat is getting off cheap! 

Edited by Zipper

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

13 minutes ago, Zipper said:

Recreational fishing is for fun. You will never break even or ahead monetarily with the current laws in place. Ask any of us who owns their own boat. 🤣🤣🤣 Believe me paying for a trip on a rental or party boat is getting off cheap! 

I agree recreational fishing and hunting is for fun.

In one word YES... I love catching fluke! Most people who come off the headboats really are only out to have a fun and catch a few fish they are not "Fishermen"they just fish.

I can't tell you how many times I have been out and hear people say this sucks and I am throwing keepers back all day. You either capitalize on the bites you get or you watch others catch fish.

There is a reason they say 10% of the Fishermen catch 90% of the fish...

Fluking is like togging, its all timing of the bite.

If you check out the "Fish Monger" now it will more likely be for the 2019 season.

He books out waaay in advance. Goodluck

"Fish Stix"  in Shark River does good also from what I've seen-nice boat too. 

Pay the extra money and get on a charter boat that knows fluke fishing/fishing-like the two above- and they will teach you.

Some boats are better at catching targeted species than others.

On most partyboats everybody is tight lipped- and some could careless if you catch.

Edited by SMOKED'-EM..!!

Great thread.  In regards to timing of the bite, what general rules does everyone follow?

We do pretty well with the Fluke (only jig bucktails), but it drives me crazy when I miss a fish.  And I sometimes miss too many...

My Dad has been Fluking for 50 years, his technique is pretty interesting, and his hookup ratio super high.  When we gets a hit, he actually starts jigging harder and more aggressively.  By the time he sets the hook (usually 10 seconds later), the rod is bent over pretty good.  The fish must feel the pressure, and occasionally they drop the jig, but not too often.

What do you guys do?  When do you drive the steel?

7 minutes ago, Joint Venture said:

Great thread.  In regards to timing of the bite, what general rules does everyone follow?

We do pretty well with the Fluke (only jig bucktails), but it drives me crazy when I miss a fish.  And I sometimes miss too many...

My Dad has been Fluking for 50 years, his technique is pretty interesting, and his hookup ratio super high.  When we gets a hit, he actually starts jigging harder and more aggressively.  By the time he sets the hook (usually 10 seconds later), the rod is bent over pretty good.  The fish must feel the pressure, and occasionally they drop the jig, but not too often.

What do you guys do?  When do you drive the steel?

Big fluke rarely ever play with a bait. They hit and engulf it, no need to wait on big fluke!!!!