IGNORED

Fall planted clover and alfalfa

I did some mowing of the food plots this weekend. 

I was quite pleased with the results. 

Fall planted clover and alfalfa with winter rye and winter wheat as a cover crop. 

Also had a mix of brassicas in there which where completey gone. The wheat rye and turnips gave me food last season while protecting the clover and alfalfa and help with weed suppression.  I also frost seeded clover and alfalfa first week of March

20180524_145719.thumb.jpg.aa883dd95ab4af246bf11180bd031b38.jpg20180524_160718.thumb.jpg.544db88ac62e975f6f3513f3848fbba5.jpg20180526_200949.thumb.jpg.837560bdbfaf277c131357371c885ee3.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=1413eee7e2c8568520180526_194502.thumb.jpg.a39382dda28c003314d4b745168dead3.jpg20180524_145743.thumb.jpg.3525c856e7d6557a84d3ab6c5eb3f0f8.jpgtthis

This was the brassicas last fall

20171116_082723.thumb.jpg.6fbf67d850432cc39e08c97ad349bc85.jpg

Clover after is was mowed

20180526_142857.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Winter Rye has been a major part of my food plot plan on my farm, it grows anywhere, with very little amending of the soil, suppresses weeds like no other. I plant  end of August/ early September either as a cover crop to clover or as a fall food plot combined with buck forage oats. It stays green all winter and is a major attractant only second to corn. I actually got multiple trailcam video footage of both  bucks I shot last year in my rye/oats plots more than any other food source.   I plant my brassicas end of June, early July, but I rarely hunt over those plots, mostly planted as a holdover late winter food source. 

16 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I wish I had more land :/

That looks great! I didnt know you can mix crops. I guess being I spray arrest max and slay it would kill off the grassy plot.
I know you always reccomended to just now and not spray. What are you spraying in that 1 pic?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had some extra time so I picked up some clethodium to spray on my existing clover plots   Never used chemicals before on clover , just want to see how it cleans up the plot in addition to mowing. 

Im always experimenting with my plots. 

Also, my Alfalfa is round up ready so I was spraying that plot too. 

The rye by mowing it will be terminated and also puts a layer of thatch on top to help protect the clover growing beneath it and help hold moisture. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

11 hours ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

Winter Rye has been a major part of my food plot plan on my farm, it grows anywhere, with very little amending of the soil, suppresses weeds like no other. I plant  end of August/ early September either as a cover crop to clover or as a fall food plot combined with buck forage oats. It stays green all winter and is a major attractant only second to corn. I actually got multiple trailcam video footage of both  bucks I shot last year in my rye/oats plots more than any other food source.   I plant my brassicas end of June, early July, but I rarely hunt over those plots, mostly planted as a holdover late winter food source. 

I have been moving my brassica dates to late August even as late as Labor day. The turnips and radishes dont get as big but I still get good top growth especially if we dont get a frost until November. 

www.liftxrentals.com

2 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

So how would I go about planting some stuff for winter in my clovers?
My clovers are in their 2nd season now.. would I need to till the whole plot and replant winter wheat or other crops?
Or would I just mow the clover short and broadcast seeds overtop?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would broadcast the seed, mow it and pack it if you have a lawn roller or cultipacker

www.liftxrentals.com