IGNORED

Charter and Head boat recommendations

Looking for recommendations for both charter and head boats, mostly for fluke, preferably out of the Atlantic highlands or surrounding area. Would like to charter a boat with some friends but also interested in head boats that I can just go and jump on. We were talking about doing a Tuna trip but I can't justify paying that kind of money to charter a boat, not saying that the price isn't worth it but since I can't see me forking out 600-800 dollars. Are there party boats that do tuna trips?

Party Boats are hit and miss for Fluke they all basically fish the same areas if regulars are on board they do well. at some $70 a trip of 5 hours I gave them up.  There are Party boats that do Overnighters for Tuna one in Point Pleasant does the Best Job. One is the Voyager Nephew once was the capt.   I and a Dead Stick Beach Bum 2 Rods 1 chair  1 cooler If I catch anything it is a Bonus. to Release to catch another day.  Most Charters are almost booked for Prime times and run from $350. up depending on the Size of the boat and # of Fisherman.  I have a Patch Of Sand ( Beach ) you can use free PM Me. 

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I always have a good time on Last Lady II out of Shark River / Neptune - right behind the Headliner.   He runs open boat Tuesday's starting very soon, at only $65 a person and limits it to 15 which is perfect for his mini party boat style boat as a walk-around 42 footer.  His charter rates are reasonable too. 

Captain Ralph Leyrer.   

Just google the website to book. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, DBuck said:

Looking for recommendations for both charter and head boats, mostly for fluke, preferably out of the Atlantic highlands or surrounding area. Would like to charter a boat with some friends but also interested in head boats that I can just go and jump on. We were talking about doing a Tuna trip but I can't justify paying that kind of money to charter a boat, not saying that the price isn't worth it but since I can't see me forking out 600-800 dollars. Are there party boats that do tuna trips?

It can be much less than 600-800 for tuna. The gambler & voyager are great head boats for tuna and no where near 600-800. Cape cod tuna costs about 425. 

Head boats I like the "Fisherman". Captain Ron and crew work hard  for the people fishing.  His fishing reports are always accurate and detailed. However, I don't always go out with him because his trips are 3/4 day.  If the fishing is bad being out for that amount of time gets boring. If the fishing reports are questionable I go on one of the 1/2 day boats. Bottom line I cannot honestly say anything negative about any AH boat I have been on.

If you go on any party/head boat you need to get there early to claim your position. If they are clamming for stripers or otherwise dropping the anchor you are best off on the stern. Fishing from the gunwales your line will drift parallel with the keel, on the stern it will drift straight back behind the boat.If they are fluke fishing or jigging for bass they will drift. In this situation the best location is in the bow. On the bow you line is less likely to interfere with the lines of people fishing from the other side of the boat. Try to pick a boat that has a pulpit and set up there for drifting. Also if you follow the above rules of thumb you will be fishing near the more experienced fishermen who are less likely to tangle your line.

I always liked the Angler out AH for fluke.  Captain Ron has a good rep and reports for stripers up there, and does well with fluke too.  I'd def recommend midweek, weekends get packed (good for bigger pools though) and if you wind up there on a weekend, sometimes it's worth going with a less crowded boat since they all often fish the same areas anyway.  For tuna, I've heard good things about the Gambler and Voyager trips like nmc02 mentioned :up:

4 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

best party boat for fluke is Big Mohawk

Yes, Chris is excellent.  If you want to fish out of Belmar, that is the boat to go on.  Get there early because he leaves early and it gets full quickly.  And expect to fish the nasty stuff, Chris doesn't care if you loose 100 rigs, he wants to catch fish :)

2 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I always have a good time on Last Lady II out of Shark River / Neptune - right behind the Headliner.   He runs open boat Tuesday's starting very soon, at only $65 a person and limits it to 15 which is perfect for his mini party boat style boat as a walk-around 42 footer.  His charter rates are reasonable too. 

Captain Ralph Leyrer.   

Just google the website to book. 

If you follow Jacks advice,  make sure you pack a cooler of ice cold beer, and the Captain will love you almost as much as Jack.🤣🤣🤣

"All men die, not all men really live". WW