IGNORED

What is it?

you should have put your finger in it's mouth, if it pinched real hard and probably draws blood - Hellgrammite.   I just never saw them that far from water before, but maybe they do that when ready to transform into a Dobson Fly. (usually you just see the old shell on top of a rock, but water's edge.   Usually I find them under rocks at river's edge, never like that.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

I guess they loose their legs then when they start to pupate?   Looked it up, and they do travel onto land to do so.

Probably - looks real bloated like it's ready to pop, that could explain why it's bouncing around, there is a big fly in there trying to escape. Probably would not even pinch you in that state.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Not a hellgrammite.  But I don't know what it is.  It is not an aquatic, that much I can say for certain.  Hellgrammites keep their legs until the winged fly inside the case punches through the hard nymphal shuck (case) to fly away.  

Definitely aquatic.  It was crossing a 10' wide path between water.  Could the one leg in the first pic be the leg of the dobsonfly punching through?  Also looks like a shed leg on the hardened shell in the same pic.  It did have a hardened shell in distinct sections that looks different than a hellgammite, but it could have been, and most likely was in the process of  shedding it.

18 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Definitely aquatic.  It was crossing a 10' wide path between water.  Could the one leg in the first pic be the leg of the dobsonfly punching through?  Also looks like a shed leg on the hardened shell in the same pic.  It did have a hardened shell in distinct sections that looks different than a hellgammite, but it could have been, and most likely was in the process of  shedding it.

It has no lungs that show which would allow for it to breath underwater.  This is a terrestrial insect of some sort.  Dobsonflies, stoneflies and even some mayflies climb out of the water to hatch at times, but they all look like their nymphs when they do.   Check the life cycle photos of the Dobsonfly below.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly