IGNORED

Which would you rather have.......??

LPJR

Definitely time.  

I'm currently looking at getting out of the job I'm in to start my own business.  1-because I hate my job and what it's become . 2-because the money is good, but not worth the aggravation.  3-because i want to be able to spend more time simply enjoying life and time with my family.   If I can make more money, that would be great.  If I make a little less money, I'm ok with that too, but I refuse to miss a thing with my family . 

My dad ran his own business and was always there for me and now that he's gone, knowing that he was there means more to me than anything that he ever bought for me.  He always took me hunting and fishing.  He never missed a sporting event or anything else I was doing.  I'd give all the fancy shit I own to be able to spend more time with him and all of the other folks in my life who are gone.

Spending time with your family and friends is the most important thing on this earth.  You never know when your time is up or your loved ones' time is up and then there is nothing left but memories, should haves, would haves, etc.  

6 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I'd give all the fancy shit I own to be able to spend more time with him and all of the other folks in my life who are gone.

And that hits home, the older you get.  I'd love to turn back time just to be able to sit with my grandparents and ask them all of the things I never did, because when I was younger I thought here would be TIME for that.

Time - without a shred of doubt.

The trouble is that I have a 13 year old blond haired, blue-eyed daughter who is a certified genius.  These days there are hardly any merit scholarships for undergraduate studies for people of our complexion.  So I have to work my tail off because college is no longer affordable on lawn mowing or burger flipping wages.

As a man, my job is to provide for my family so that is my priority.

Life isn't fair - LOL

Edited by madeinuk

I'm not going to die if I run out of money, but when I run out of time,  I'm done.

I always took the time .  Refused to work overtime most of the time.  Lost my job because I refused to give up my vacation 2 days before going.  You're only going hunting, my boss says.  

Never was able to save big, but always got by with what I made.  

No regrets.  Could have spent that time a little more wisely though, instead of always hunting.  

1 hour ago, LittleM said:

And that hits home, the older you get.  I'd love to turn back time just to be able to sit with my grandparents and ask them all of the things I never did, because when I was younger I thought here would be TIME for that.

I have said that exact same thing to my brother.... sitting with my grandparents and asking them about their parents, lives growing up, etc.

Many a family gathering when we finished eating and the men and women sat around talking and reminiscing and us kids were out and gone. 

Now, my grandchildren do the same thing .

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

More money means more stuff.  More stuff means more things to worry about and more things to fix when they break.  

On the other hand, you can't get more time, so appreciate each day that God gives you.  Enjoy today and stop worrying about tomorrow.   

If anyone will listen, this is the best advice you'll ever get. Take it from an old guy who had a plan and worked most of his life away and only enjoyed his passion for the outdoors when he needed to escape. Still working past retirement age and life plans are gone when you never know whats going on in your partners head . You never know what tomorrow will bring, do the best you can but enjoy time with your kids when they are young, save time for yourself, as you only have one lifetime.

Time for sure!  However with enough money, we'd spend far less time working (hopefully) and more time doing the things we enjoy with the people we want to spend more time with.  So in the end, it's all a function of time...money just makes life a whole lot easier from many perspectives.

There is something known as the time value of money. (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/timevalueofmoney.asp)

If you spend most of your early life earning money, that money will accumulate and generate more money for you (interest).  My dad once told me that I should earn and save enough so that my money starts working for me, and I don't have to work for my money.

I've had years when I've had a ton of time and no money.  That sucks.  And it's worse than having a ton of money and no time.

You can accrue money, but you cannot accrue time.  And you cannot live without money.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

8 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Time for sure!  However with enough money, we'd spend far less time working (hopefully) and more time doing the things we enjoy with the people we want to spend more time with.  So in the end, it's all a function of time...money just makes life a whole lot easier from many perspectives.

There's never enough money for that.  Unless you hit the powerball, money is always something folks will be chasing.  If you make 80k this year, you wnat to make 90 next year . When you make 100k, you want to make 200k.  The real problem is not the money people make, but the money they spend.  If your family is doing fine on 80k, and you make 150k next year, that's 70kt that should be in the bank, not 70k on new toys or more things that will put you in debt.      

12 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

There is something known as the time value of money. (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/timevalueofmoney.asp)

If you spend most of your early life earning money, that money will accumulate and generate more money for you (interest).  My dad once told me that I should earn and save enough so that my money starts working for me, and I don't have to work for my money.

I've had years when I've had a ton of time and no money.  That sucks.  And it's worse than having a ton of money and no time.

You can accrue money, but you cannot accrue time.  And you cannot live without money.

It's a shame we don't actually listen to our parents when we're young.  We'd all have our first million in the bank by age 40 if we'd let money work for us when we were young

Just now, not on the rug said:

There's never enough money for that.  Unless you hit the powerball, money is always something folks will be chasing.  If you make 80k this year, you wnat to make 90 next year . When you make 100k, you want to make 200k.  The real problem is not the money people make, but the money they spend.  If your family is doing fine on 80k, and you make 150k next year, that's 70kt that should be in the bank, not 70k on new toys or more things that will put you in debt.      

This is true, we tend to just work harder to make more, and this state certainly doesn't make it easy to relax on what we have either.  On the other hand it does take money to live, and certainly more depending on what you want to do either on your own or with family/friends.  Although, we all *could* live a whole lot more frugally and "survive" just fine...but most of us want nice things and to do fun things (that often require money to do so).