Swampy

500lbs of wild rice seed

Posted (edited)

They will be  soaked in kiddie pools then divided into 10-50lb wet burlap sacks. Spent the last couple of weekends raking  out Hydrilla, fanwart & What looks like several species of milfoil out. Treated the entire area with about 50 lbs of aquacide pellets.  Next few weeks I’m going to dig out the tops of  two small islands in the middle treat The area with  liquid aquatic herbicide. Then Going to reapply another 80 pounds of aquacide pellets next week. Rice seedlings should arrive mid June. And after couple day process of preparation should be ready to apply by late June.  Going to seed about 5 acres of approximately 10 acres of wetlands using the mudball technique.  Won’t pay any dividends this year and I’ll probably have to reapply seedlings for the next couple years to make sure the rice establishes.  Also going to get several pints of water-lens and see if I can establish a section of that and hope it will continue to spread. But we’ll see what happens.  Anybody want to help ??? Lol

Edited by Swampy

Posted (edited)

Where is your project  located? If not too far I'll help.

Edited by tuny

Are you working on duck habitat? Any pix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampy I have no first hand experience unfortunately but I have heard that Japanese millet and sorghum are far easier to get to take and will tolerate PH imbalances better (I could be completely wrong I've never done my own research) so I'm curious as to why you decided to go with just wild rice

2 hours ago, Bubblehead said:

Swampy I have no first hand experience unfortunately but I have heard that Japanese millet and sorghum are far easier to get to take and will tolerate PH imbalances better (I could be completely wrong I've never done my own research) so I'm curious as to why you decided to go with just wild rice

For sorghum and Millet the soil needs to be prepped first. Which means you need water control.  As well as the associated equipment.You have to allow the crop to grow and then flood the area. Wild rice is extremely easy to seed you can broadcast seed it right on the water even without soaking it or you can do the method I’m going to use which is basically make mudballs with the seedlings and just toss them all over the place. I already have an established environment that bitds are using all I’m doing is enhancing it. Plus once wild rice   Gets established it reseeds nicely. The other crops require almost constant water control and soil prep for seeding. Also Millet and sorghum aren’t really meant to be flooded their Edgewater feed.  

• Like 3