Bonefreak

Heard first gobbles since A wk...found target buck dead

Finally heard a few on the roost this AM but they went quiet after fly down and not a peep by 745 when I had to leave for  work. Found my target buck from last fall tho.....how long would you estimate him decaying.....??

20180516_063911.jpg

• Like 1
  • Disturbing 1

That's  a bummer.  He's been dead quite a few months, he hadn't shed his antlers yet.    

Edited by Rusty
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Rusty said:

That's  a bummer.  He's been dead quite a few months, he hadn't shed his antlers yet.    

Since winter bow.....or sooner and killed by a car??

6 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

so you saw him alive winter bow?   Someone else could have stuck him with arrow, sprayed with buckshot, or auto accident.  What a shame.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Mature bucks tend to shed their antlers earlier, so if I had to guess I would say that he died before mid-January.   

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

Mature bucks tend to shed their antlers earlier, so if I had to guess I would say that he died before mid-January.   

That's probably last time I had him on camera. I have to try and find my pics of him on the hoof

14 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Not always Rusty. I shot that big 6 a couple years ago on Feb. 6 and both sides were holding tight. 5. years old

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Not always Rusty. I shot that big 6 a couple years ago on Feb. 6 and both sides were holding tight. 5. years old

True, there are always exceptions.  But in general mature bucks tend to drop earlier.  

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, rgw said:

I say January, another victim of a rage to the cage

I agree RAGE but hunter choose not to look further then 20 yards for him. That sucks so bad for you bonefreak. Take the head have European mount done and have some of your trail cam pictures framed and hang them next to skull. 

• Like 1

Yup.  Sucks.  I had my 12 year old boy set up on him a few times from the rut through winter bow....Mr. BIG, what we called him, never came through though!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Integracingsr said:

That sucks.  Hopefully you're boy gets a crack at one of his sons.  Was there any indication of a broken leg or broken ribs?  Near a road?

Appeared to be some cracked lower ribs on right side belly, and there are a few close roads, but it would be difficult to determine if the rib injury was from a car or from critters gnawing on him. He did disappear off camera quite suddenly and I figured he got hit by a car or shot by a hunter. 

57 minutes ago, Integracingsr said:

That sucks.  Hopefully you're boy gets a crack at one of his sons.  Was there any indication of a broken leg or broken ribs?  Near a road?

Appeared to be some cracked lower ribs on right side belly, and there are a few close roads, but it would be difficult to determine if the rib injury was from a car or from critters gnawing on him. He did disappear off camera quite suddenly and I figured he got hit by a car or shot by a hunter. 

Here he is on the hoof. 

20171207_134134.jpg

20171215_135331.jpg

• Like 6

That deer was a slammer. Unfortunately it's all a part of the sport. I had a giant on my trail cam first week of the season 10 yards from my stand, that I wasn't hunting.  My neighbor killed him 2 weeks later.

14 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Here he is on the hoof. 

20171207_134134.jpg

20171215_135331.jpg

Great buck. Sucks you found  him dead. At least you won't be hunting a ghost cause you know he is no longer there. Hopefully he passed his genes one.

I like the dates of the pictures. Around shotgun week. I always get a few new bucks around that week, probably being pushed from other areas.

• Like 2