IGNORED

Your favorite NJ activity

JHbowhunter

Your favorite NJ activity ?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one from the list (20 was the limit), of the NJ (only) outdoor activity you rank the highest / enjoy the most.

• Archery Deer Hunting
    • Firearm Deer Hunting (shotgun, muzzy)
    • Bear Hunting (assume it still exists)
    • Waterfowl Hunting
    • Small Game Hunting
    • Bass fishing
    • Trout fishing
    • Shad Fishing
    • General Freshwater lake and stream for all variety (not targetting any particular species, including panfish, hybrid stripers, walleye, bass, trout etc)
    • Pike, Musky, Pickerel fishing
    • Catfish Fishing
    • Bow Fishing
    • Bluefish fishing
    • Striped Bass fishing
    • Fluke fishing
    • Pelagics Fishing (Mako, Tuna, Mahi, Billfish, wahoo)
    • All other saltwater bottom fishing (seabass, porgy, ling, whiting, cod, pollack)
    • Blackfish fishing (Tautog)
    • TURKEY HUNTING
    • TRAPPING

I thought there would be bigger turnout for saltwater, but certainly bowhunting drives this site as it's a lot more active by end of summer through end of last bow season.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, NJ Predator said:

didn't realize this was an all hunting thing...there are many outdoor activities to enjoy

Agree. In fact, my favorite "NJ activity" isn't a hunting or fishing thing, mostly because I'm relegated to public land, and hunting and fishing on public land here aren't that much fun. I would rank hiking above all of them as a Favorite "NJ activity". 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

2 minutes ago, DV1 said:

Agree. In fact, my favorite "NJ activity" isn't a hunting or fishing thing, mostly because I'm relegated to public land, and hunting and fishing on public land here aren't that much fun. I would rank hiking above all of them as a Favorite "NJ activity". Maybe you should tweak the name of the poll to "Favorite NJ hunting or fishing related activity". 

I had hiking in there but then realized I left out trapping and turkey...  So yeah - should just be a poll about catching and/or killing stuff...

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

I had hiking in there but then realized I left out trapping and turkey...  So yeah - should just be a polls about catching and/or killing stuff...

10-15 years ago it would have been bow hunting, not so much any more.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

34 minutes ago, DV1 said:

Agree. In fact, my favorite "NJ activity" isn't a hunting or fishing thing, mostly because I'm relegated to public land, and hunting and fishing on public land here aren't that much fun. I would rank hiking above all of them as a Favorite "NJ activity". 

Yes sir...I would've added a sport...I play golf and smoke cigars...would've picked golf over hunting to be honest

16 hours ago, mightyhunter said:

I agree with you mostly but the salt water fishing has taken a hit over the years.

Winter flounder - nope

Weakfish - gone

Whiting- gone

Fluke - miss managed BIG time

The only fish I would disagree with would be weakfish. I’ve actually caught more weakfish in the past 2-3 years than I have since I was a kid 30 years ago. Others I have talked to in extreme south jersey ( Cape May County area)have noticed the same thing.

Not sure where the influx is coming from but I won’t complain. It may be from them just not being a targeted fish much anymore.

Top three would be Archery deer, trout fishing, and upland birds.  Nothing gets my blood pumping like hearing crunching leaves behind me as a deer approaches but from the least likely direction that I anticipated.  The pursuit of deer are constantly challenging me and teaching me new lessons each time I'm in the woods.  It's been that way for over 25 years now.  However, its takes a ton of preparation time between scent control, equipment maintenance, practice with the bow, etc.  All of which I enjoy and am glad to do when I have the time available.  The same goes for upland birds.  I truly cherish the time that I spend afield and love seeing which path they lead us down.  It's brings me great joy seeing what they were bred and trained to do and how much they love it.  However, it also takes a ton of time in training and a lot of time after the hunt to clean the dogs up, pick ticks off of them, and take care of my equipment.  Lastly, I really love the simplicity of trout fishing with the fly rod.  I'm able to pick up and go whenever I have a little bit of time without much preparation. I'm not sure I'd be able to choose just one if I had to.  I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy all of them.  As someone else said earlier, we're very lucky to have access to all of these options in the state of NJ despite the long list of all of the other BS that comes along with living here.

i love bow hunting but since this is NJ i have been practicing watching paint dry so when hunting is banned ,they take our guns away ,stop fishing because its cruel and of course I have no money left to do anything  because of the new 75% income tax by murphy and company. I will be ready for the exciting new extreme paint dry watching championships ..:rofl::rofl:  

32 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Sinking your boat? 

yet again - I spit coffee out my nose onto my keyboard... Thanks, and thanks for another vote in the waterfowl bucket.

I shot a big 10pt once….

51 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Sinking your boat? 

She is ready for a Buffy bash again. Just rewired the whole boat, new camo apolstry 2 new and bigger bilge pumps along with a big 3000 gph pump as a back up. New radio and antenna, and new weinch strap.