Jump to content
JHbowhunter

Your favorite NJ activity

Your favorite NJ activity ?  

81 members have voted

  1. 1. Pick one from the list (20 was the limit), of the NJ (only) outdoor activity you rank the highest / enjoy the most.

    • Archery Deer Hunting
    • Firearm Deer Hunting (shotgun, muzzy)
    • Bear Hunting (assume it still exists)
    • Waterfowl Hunting
    • Small Game Hunting
    • Bass fishing
    • Trout fishing
    • Shad Fishing
      0
    • General Freshwater lake and stream for all variety (not targetting any particular species, including panfish, hybrid stripers, walleye, bass, trout etc)
    • Pike, Musky, Pickerel fishing
      0
    • Catfish Fishing
      0
    • Bow Fishing
      0
    • Bluefish fishing
      0
    • Striped Bass fishing
    • Fluke fishing
    • Pelagics Fishing (Mako, Tuna, Mahi, Billfish, wahoo)
      0
    • All other saltwater bottom fishing (seabass, porgy, ling, whiting, cod, pollack)
      0
    • Blackfish fishing (Tautog)
      0
    • TURKEY HUNTING
    • TRAPPING


Recommended Posts

Wtf mine isn't up there

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rgw said:

Wtf mine isn't up there

Watching sex threw a window? 

 

(sorry, old NJH thread flashback)  

  • Haha 8
  • Winner 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like the bowhunting because the season is so long.  I can get out in the woods, in a treestand for half of the year and come home with some venison if I feel like letting one fly. Hiking/Biking is a close 2nd though.  Lots of great places in NJ to do both. 

You forgot about the beaches though Jack...I'm not talking "Jersey Shore" stuff either. I mean the amazingly beautiful places like Cape May, Avalon and Stone Harbor

Edited by not on the rug
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, rgw said:

Wtf mine isn't up there

ah TRAPPING - dammit I knew I forgot one...  And Turkey as well... crap  (POST EDIT) - I replaced hiking and photography with Turkey Hunting and Trapping...  So now entire poll involved catching and/or killing some form of critter.

 

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NJ often gets a bad rap and we certainly deserve some of that, but mostly because of our sprawl.  Diversity of things to do and places to see is one of our state's best kept secrets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

NJ often gets a bad rap and we certainly deserve some of that, but mostly because of our sprawl.  Diversity of things to do and places to see is one of our state's best kept secrets.  

Interesting you put archery deer over trout...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHbowhunter said:

Interesting you put archery deer over trout...  

In NJ?  Deer are native and not stocked.  :)

There's a good reason I head out of state to fly fish for big, wild trout whenever I can! 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

In NJ?  Deer are native and not stocked.  :)

There's a good reason I head out of state to fly fish for big, wild trout whenever I can! 

 

Weren't the deer re-stocked from Michigan and PA in the early 1900s because they were essentially wiped out of NJ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another compromise....I was thinking that looking on Realtor.com for places to retire to would be near the top....

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan Putz said:

Another compromise....I was thinking that looking on Realtor.com for places to retire to would be near the top....

had to cut-off at 20, that was the limit - sorry!   Also absent, playing with cats, back-waxing, etc...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Weren't the deer re-stocked from Michigan and PA in the early 1900s because they were essentially wiped out of NJ?

That's a reintroduction of an extirpated species, to use biological geek talk.  :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How come they are not in alphabetical order ?

Where is Upland Bird Hunting..... I had to check small game ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soon to be NJ hottest pass time, betting on sports while stoned.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one look at that list shows just a start of how many great things we can do here in NJ , more than likely under an hour from our homes.

Its a shame so many guys sell NJ short when it comes to how much hunting and fishing we can do here  for really not a lot of money spent

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Watching sex threw a window? 

No, Having sex throw a window. 🤣🤣🤣

 

(sorry, old NJH thread flashback)  

^^^^^^^^^

Edited by Zipper
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Just one look at that list shows just a start of how many great things we can do here in NJ , more than likely under an hour from our homes.

Its a shame so many guys sell NJ short when it comes to how much hunting and fishing we can do here  for really not a lot of money spent

I agree with you mostly but the salt water fishing has taken a hit over the years.

Winter flounder - nope

Weakfish - gone

Whiting- gone

Fluke - miss managed BIG time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's the option for falconry?  Which one of you yahoos came up with this incomplete list?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Where's the option for falconry?  Which one of you yahoos came up with this incomplete list?

And geo-caching 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bow hunting deer is number one and everything else is 2nd. 

My favorite is which ever season is in and weather is good for it. 

I've done all of them but i don't bow fish any more. 

Edited by Buck154
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mightyhunter said:

I agree with you mostly but the salt water fishing has taken a hit over the years.

Winter flounder - nope

Weakfish - gone

Whiting- gone

Fluke - miss managed BIG time

Limits on fluke def suck, but in all honesty, 75% of the guys fishing couldn't catch a three fish limit anyhow. it effects the guys who can fish .

winter flounder used to be the kick off to start the year, sadly that season has been  just about non existant  for 10 years now.

I would like to believe that fishery has partially recovered as not many guys will waste the time to fish for them, with a 2 fish limit.

 

but we still have plenty to fish for. sea bass, stripers , tuna , tile fish , blackfish etc can give you a great day on the water.

Albies, bonita, mahi .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now