njbowhntr

Fly rod for new guy

Well getting started back to fly, nymphs to start, fishing again after 20 years off.  And even then I was not really good.  But I feel inspired this time.  So now I have to figure out what kind of a set up.  I have been looking at a 4wt 9' rod, possible 9'6".  I am in that range due to a few things I have read.  I will be fishing the Musky and the Pequest.

So I am looking for a combo being I do not have anything now.  A bunch of google searches I did lead me to look pretty hard at the Orvis Encounter 9' 4wt package.  I have not limited myself to Orvis, just what I was looking at.  My plan is also to stop by Shannon's fly shop one day after work.  

Any information and advice from the fly guys would be great.

Thank you in advance for any and all information.

The Encounter is a solid starter set up. You can also check Ebay for used Orvis Clearwater, a very good rod that has a lot of feel. I just won a bid two weeks ago for $79 which is a third of the price new. Honestly for nymphing i personally like a 5-6wt overlined one line weight. It will let you roll cast indicators and weight much easier. Do you plan on using the fly rod for bigger rivers as time passes? Possibly some summer smallmouth? If so definitely go up to a 6wt, for nymphing a delicate presentation isn’t really as important as being able to roll cast and mend and 6 is much easier to handle than a 4 IMO. Whatever you choose, get some flys and go have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on how much you want to spend.  9' is a perfect length and 4wt is more than enough for NJ but Maximus makes some excellent points.  With the increases in technology in graphite over the years almost any good name will be fine for you.  No need to go Sage, RL Winston unless you have the $$. Orvis is fine.  Try to get something that has a warranty so you'll be covered in case of breakage.   Once you get out of NJ you will need something a bit heavier for bigger fish and longer casts and casts into the wind.  But there will be people on here who will tell you that a 4wt is good for any trout stream/river,  different tools for different jobs is my logic. Have fun. 

• Like 1

I mixed up which rod and reel combo I was looking at, it is the Clearwater. I would like to jump up to a Made in USA rod, but not looking to spend that much right now. 

14 hours ago, njbowhntr said:

Well getting started back to fly, nymphs to start, fishing again after 20 years off.  And even then I was not really good.  But I feel inspired this time.  So now I have to figure out what kind of a set up.  I have been looking at a 4wt 9' rod, possible 9'6".  I am in that range due to a few things I have read.  I will be fishing the Musky and the Pequest.

So I am looking for a combo being I do not have anything now.  A bunch of google searches I did lead me to look pretty hard at the Orvis Encounter 9' 4wt package.  I have not limited myself to Orvis, just what I was looking at.  My plan is also to stop by Shannon's fly shop one day after work.  

Any information and advice from the fly guys would be great.

Thank you in advance for any and all information.

So much will depend on what type of flies you will be fishing and if you plan to high stick nymph or indicator (long line) nymph.  I tell clients their best bet for a NJ all-around fly rod that will nymph, dry fly, wet fly, and streamer fish is an 8'6" for 4 or 5 weight.  But if your main objective is nymph fishing, I would go with a longer stick.  And if you like high stick nymphing, a 10 foot or 11 foot rod is better at keeping line off the water.  Manufacturers all sell rods on the low end of the price spectrum, but nearly 100% of those rods will be built overseas if that matters to you.  Most of the top end rods are built here in the US, but their price isn't for the faint of heart.  The crew at Shannon's will be of great help in letting you try different rods you are considering.  I'll be in the shop later today myself before I head out to fish with a buddy.     

• Like 1

I have a 9' 5wt Sage I'd be willing to sell.

• Like 1

I mixed up which rod and reel combo I was looking at, it is the Clearwater. I would like to jump up to a Made in USA rod, but not looking to spend that much right now. 

Very solid set up, i have three Clearwaters and they fish like rods that cost twice as much. Last year i picked up a ten foot 7wt for my son. As a relatively new flyfisher he was able to roll cast big indicators with alot of lead with ease, he landed steelhead and kings on that rod with ease.
IMG_1115.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maximus: I have settled on the Clearwater due to the cost and warranty. I have an old Cabela’s 567 reel that I was gonna possibly use. But do you think I would be better off with the Clearwater reel also 

I am gonna start with the 9’ 5wt rod. In 3 years we are gonna take a 2 week trip around Glacier National Park, which I will be buying a rod for out there. But want to get a jump on learning techniques and tricks. 

Edited by njbowhntr

1 hour ago, njbowhntr said:

Maximus: I have settled on the Clearwater due to the cost and warranty. I have an old Cabela’s 567 reel that I was gonna possibly use. But do you think I would be better off with the Clearwater reel also 

I am gonna start with the 9’ 5wt rod. In 3 years we are gonna take a 2 week trip around Glacier National Park, which I will be buying a rod for out there. But want to get a jump on learning techniques and tricks. 

I just looked up this park. It looks beautiful, good luck!

Yes the clearwater is good, Lamson makes some nice reels also. For NJ trout any reliable reel will do fine but that faster pick up of the large arbor reels help when you get a good one on and want to get line back on the reel to utilize the drag.

18 hours ago, maximus66 said:

Yes the clearwater is good, Lamson makes some nice reels also. For NJ trout any reliable reel will do fine but that faster pick up of the large arbor reels help when you get a good one on and want to get line back on the reel to utilize the drag.

Well the order is in. I went with the outfit, not just rod.  After it comes in I will stop at Shannon’s for a bunch of nymphs and start playing around. 

Well the order is in. I went with the outfit, not just rod.  After it comes in I will stop at Shannon’s for a bunch of nymphs and start playing around. 

Awesome, good luck with it. You need anything just reach out to me and i will help anyway i can. Shannons will set you up with flies to use now and going forward. They dont just push to sell stuff, they are good people. Some good areas for nymphing and not many guys out this year. Although not a traditional fly I have been murdering stockies on size 12 and 14 rainbow warriors. Do you tie? If not its one of the best parts of the addiction, i tie for trout, steelhead, salmon, largemouth, smallmouth, hybreds, shad and saltwater. So if you enter that realm let me know