IGNORED

Urban Pheasant Habitat

There used to be a population of wild pheasants in the meadowlands near Giants stadium. Once I saw one fly across the exit road when getting off RT3. That was some time in the late 80's/early90's.

Many years ago there was a WMA in the meadowlands. I think it was still listed as a WMA in the 1970's. I guess they stocked pheasants there at one time.

I once saw a issue of a hunting magazine from the 1950's. It had an article about hunting there. There was a picture of duck hunters wading in the swamp with the NYC skyline as a backdrop.

Edited by 230jhp

2 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

There used to be a population of wild pheasants in the meadowlands near Giants stadium. Once I saw one fly across the exit road when getting off RT3.

Many years ago there was a WMA in the meadowlands. I think it was still listed as a WMA in the 1970's. I guess they stocked pheasants there at one time.

I once saw a issue of a hunting magazine from the 1950's. It had an article about hunting there. There was a picture of duck hunters wading in the swamp with the NYC skyline as a backdrop.

My Dad was born in 1918 in Moonachie.   He hunted ducks and pheasants in the Meadowlands as a kid until WWII.   He took me there in the 70's and there were still a lot of pheasants then.  The Meadowlands were so vast back then that people got lost and were never found.

1 hour ago, 230jhp said:

Saw Mill Creek. Its the first place I shot ducks. Lots of mud.

Edited by Jim_

9 hours ago, 230jhp said:

There used to be a population of wild pheasants in the meadowlands near Giants stadium. Once I saw one fly across the exit road when getting off RT3. That was some time in the late 80's/early90's.

There are still pheasants there! 

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting