IGNORED

Urban Pheasant Habitat

Wtf!!!  And we can't restore a pheasant population here!?!?  I didn't not see any more habitat in Detroit than what we have here on say.....6 Mile Run or some of our bigger WMAs!!!  

I always thought that some of our state's landfills and closed landfills exhibit the large grassland habitat that pheasants require, but no one is interested in restoring a population!!!  

Btw.....i heard that cockbird that I been seeing at Colliers Mills cackle yesterday morning while turkey huntin!!

It's funny how the birds have adapted to a city that once was a thriving metropolis and now is a destroyed shell of a city. They bulldozed hundreds of city blocks to keep out the crack heads & squatters and wildlife came pouring back in. They have deer, fox, songbirds in abundance now living there.

New Jersey doesn't put the effort into closing certain areas to let the birds establish, here it's about dollars not restoration. In Detroit the only Urban hunting that goes on is human. If they didn't slash & burn all the fields every year it would give them cover to nest and raise the chicks , those birds need cover but thick cover doesn't convert to dollars for guys complaining that it's too thick to hunt! 

I grew up in Southern Ontario 40 minutes from Detroit, it use to be the Pheasant capital of Canada, just like South Dakota but as the cover was destroyed fence lines went from being 20-25' wide to 3' due to farming practices and high cost of production. The birds literally disappeared in 3-5 years down to nothing. We use to see 40-60 wild birds in a 2 hour hunt down to 1-2 in a week.

It doesn't take alot of effort it takes commitment the birds just like the deer will thrive but the human mindset needs to change. 

"It doesn't take alot of effort it takes commitment the birds just like the deer will thrive but the human mindset needs to change. "

Yep...the only reason NJ can't have wild birds is because there isn't enough support to make it happen, period! 

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

14 hours ago, Canadian Bacon said:

It's funny how the birds have adapted to a city that once was a thriving metropolis and now is a destroyed shell of a city. They bulldozed hundreds of city blocks to keep out the crack heads & squatters and wildlife came pouring back in. They have deer, fox, songbirds in abundance now living there.

New Jersey doesn't put the effort into closing certain areas to let the birds establish, here it's about dollars not restoration. In Detroit the only Urban hunting that goes on is human. If they didn't slash & burn all the fields every year it would give them cover to nest and raise the chicks , those birds need cover but thick cover doesn't convert to dollars for guys complaining that it's too thick to hunt! 

I grew up in Southern Ontario 40 minutes from Detroit, it use to be the Pheasant capital of Canada, just like South Dakota but as the cover was destroyed fence lines went from being 20-25' wide to 3' due to farming practices and high cost of production. The birds literally disappeared in 3-5 years down to nothing. We use to see 40-60 wild birds in a 2 hour hunt down to 1-2 in a week.

It doesn't take alot of effort it takes commitment the birds just like the deer will thrive but the human mindset needs to change. 

At it's peak population Detroit had 1.85 million people.  It now has about 672k so that is about a 60% loss.   Due to economic conditions the land has little to no value so it just sits there and something came along because conditions were ideal for it. In this case, pheasants.   NJ has a much higher economic land value so municipalities have no interest in animals occupying it when a house or building could and they can get tax revenue.   Simple economics. 

7 hours ago, stratocaster said:

At it's peak population Detroit had 1.85 million people.  It now has about 672k so that is about a 60% loss.   Due to economic conditions the land has little to no value so it just sits there and something came along because conditions were ideal for it. In this case, pheasants.   NJ has a much higher economic land value so municipalities have no interest in animals occupying it when a house or building could and they can get tax revenue.   Simple economics. 

I was referring to the WMA's I know that NJ would never put habitat before tax dollars , someone has to pay for illegals, pensions and the rest of the bullshit that goes along with this state. It's only ever going to be about revenue in this state, quality of life doesn't apply when everything is for sale or barter if it's beneficial to tax revenue in the short run.

The state is far better off working with the likes of NJ Audubon to restore native quail habitat over non-native pheasant habitat. Hard to justify spending funds for a non-native species that fewer than 1% of the state population wants to hunt. But quail are native to southern NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

far better off working with the likes of NJ Audubon to restore native quail habitat over non-native pheasant habitat

But if we had resident pheasants, our inner-city populations could walk through their dilapidated neighborhood blight and think they are on a nature hike. Win-win! :up: 

Here are few pics I took of the late season habitat at Assunpink WMA that our state fish and wildlife agency is managing. Hundreds of acres devoid of any cover, especially in late winter when wildlife needs it most!  Some fields are farmer leases, and apparently money is more important than the health of WMA wildlife. They could probably get just as much money from grants for grassland habitat than what they generate from farmer leases!!  Other fields are mowed because.....that was only time they could get equipment in there on frozen ground!  

20180325_152706.jpg

20180325_152513.jpg

20180325_144306.jpg

5 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

The state is far better off working with the likes of NJ Audubon to restore native quail habitat over non-native pheasant habitat. Hard to justify spending funds for a non-native species that fewer than 1% of the state population wants to hunt. But quail are native to southern NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya know we managed to catch and release a few wild brown trout the other day and it didn't bother me one bit that they weren't native, heck most of NJ's game fish are not native.

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege