JHbowhunter

Don't feed the deer bill moves forward

No natural predators?  Right there you know they are feeding the public a bunch of BS.  Just another way to kill more deer off, and raise the cost of licenses to process the meat for food banks.  Stop the backyard feeding, and more deer will go into the cornfields, and feed in the woods where the bill makes it easier to kill them off for doing so, then charge the hunters to process it for food bank handouts.  I wonder how many that go to food banks are illegals.   I'd bet hunters feed the deer 1000 lbs for every lb by anyone else.

greybeard - my take is they are actually helping hunters here, they are trying to get the deer to go to the HUNTING bait piles, not the NON-HUNTING deer feeders. Unless I am missing something, the only legal feeding of deer will be a hunting setup.  I have seen it first hand how a 10 acre tract is feeding deer by anti's, and all season long you can see 20-30 deer in their yard, instead of being on huntable land. 

• Agree 2

This is good news.  The management hunts that I run are significantly impacted by residents that feed deer.    

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

We'll have to see how minerals are treated off season, but either way I think it's good for hunting. 

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

greybeard - my take is they are actually helping hunters here, they are trying to get the deer to go to the HUNTING bait piles, not the NON-HUNTING deer feeders. Unless I am missing something, the only legal feeding of deer will be a hunting setup.  I have seen it first hand how a 10 acre tract is feeding deer by anti's, and all season long you can see 20-30 deer in their yard, instead of being on huntable land. 

It won't help me none.  I don't bait and hunt public.  Hunters bait in their back yard also, keeping deer around houses.  Only difference is they will get shot off over hunters bait, while I may get a crack at one that overflows off an unhunted private sanctuary.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel this has anything to do with feeding the deer.  Look at what's hiding behind it in the bill.  Did making it illegal to feed bear change anything?  People that did it still get away with doing it, and you'll rarely see it being enforced.

• Winner 1

"Oroho noted that New Jersey ranks 13th in the nation in terms of deer-vehicle crashes, and that there are no natural predators to deer in the state."

I'm going to have to give him some $h*t for that comment.  What about humans, bears, bobcats, and coyotes to name just a few "natural predators"?  I grew up with my state senator in West Milform, but he's a bit older than me.  His sister is a friend to this day.   I see Steve fairly often in my line of work and can't wait to harass him (and to better educated him).    

Both Oroho and Smith are generally good to hunters and to conservation in general in NJ.  Glad to see a component for depredation on forested lands and not just for crop fields.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Greybeard said:

No natural predators?  Right there you know they are feeding the public a bunch of BS.  Just another way to kill more deer off, and raise the cost of licenses to process the meat for food banks.  Stop the backyard feeding, and more deer will go into the cornfields, and feed in the woods where the bill makes it easier to kill them off for doing so, then charge the hunters to process it for food bank handouts.  I wonder how many that go to food banks are illegals.   I'd bet hunters feed the deer 1000 lbs for every lb by anyone else.

I volunteered at a food bank for a year awhile back.....mostly picking up  at Hillside warehouse and delivering to Linden......anyway there werent any Mexicans getting the free stuff only  women in Mink coats and people driving cadillacs.......I AM NOT KIDDING....the director said you werent allowed to check anyone out , so all you had to do is show up to get free stuff.........I was taking time out of work to try to do good and people took advantage ......so I quit...............Plus does that mean Ill be in trouble since the deer ate a bunch of Hostas and all my tulips.........

Edited by MRMCR
  • Like 1

Have to find a way to feed the illegals while they go to college for free here in Nj. 

The state will be lucky if I ever shoot another doe. Didnt shoot any last year and dont plan on it this year

• Confused 1

Wow that's a first. A bill that is for the hunters :up:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rusty said:

This is good news.  The management hunts that I run are significantly impacted by residents that feed deer.    

:agree:Helps me too. I am also on a management hunt and one of the anti's that lives across the street from one of my spots likes to feed them which impacts my hunt too.

• Agree 3

The problem these anti's have is that they think the deer they feed are theirs. I'd like to see all feeding stopped, but I highly doubt that it will ever happen. I also question how it will be enforced.  They can't enforce the laws on the books now.

• Like 2

Feeding deer by anyone has effected my hunting, more so by hunters.  Unlimited doe for over 30 years, and farmer permits,  has also effected the deer population where I hunt.  Now they want to extend deprivation permits onto forested lands.  Deer can be killed on forest management land as they are on crop fields.   Lowering the population more.  These land owners with forest management plans are often wealthy and get thousands in property tax reductions, but they want us to volunteer to donate on our licenses to process the deer.  The deer become the property of the DFG and the DFG is responsible to dispose of it.  At who's expense?  How about reducing the property owners tax subsidy to cover the cost of removing the deer from their property?

Why not require private forester managed lands to be open to hunters.  We will gladly lower the population by hunting, and remove the deer ourselves for consumption.  We are already subsidizing the tax reductions on these lands with our tax dollars, and paying the salaries of the DFG to remove these deer carcasses with our license fees.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Feeding deer doesnt put them in back yards hunting pressure does. 

Lots of guys here trample every inch of their property entering the woods, exiting and while hunting. 

I have a lady that feeds the deer by me, I always see them in her yard but they do leave after awhile and make their way into my fields. Deer like to browse but they like to live too. Some guys shoot themselves in the foot from the time they get out of their trucks.  Also, lots of guys dropping deer right on their bait piles. Deer are programmed bait piles are dangerous. Deer dont get shot in grandmas yard.  The deer learn where its safe.  

A lots of small parcels in Nj with hunters on every piece. 

Ive hunted public land, private with other hunters and now I am the only one that hunts my own 50 acres and Ive never seen so many deer. 

A lot more deer could be seen if some would change their hunting habits, set up sanctuaries forvthe deer etc. 

Most public area good luck. Seasons long and everything gets shot and constant intrusions. 

If a deer is leaving its natural habitat to live in a back yard, theres something else to it than someone tossing some feed in their yard. 

Edited by tcook8296
  • Agree 2

Tom I agree "human intrusion" and bad hunter habits are a deer hunters worst enemy.  I don't even really scout my areas anymore, i know them well enough and I don't want to risk bumping a mature buck throughout the summer so he changes his core area.   But an anti with a decent tract of land that is regularly feeding deer can really impact hunting as well, in that that is where the deer are (including mature bucks) during "prime time". 

46 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Tom I agree "human intrusion" and bad hunter habits are a deer hunters worst enemy.  I don't even really scout my areas anymore, i know them well enough and I don't want to risk bumping a mature buck throughout the summer so he changes his core area.   But an anti with a decent tract of land that is regularly feeding deer can really impact hunting as well, in that that is where the deer are (including mature bucks) during "prime time". 

Mature bucks will be there because the does are there. If you hunt a parcel that borders a piece where there is no hunting, by changing how you hunt your adjoining property would greatly improve your deer sightings. 

Deer cant tell where one property ends and another begins. 

All they know is if I go over there, someone shoots at me. If I go over there, I have food and safety. 

Instead of pushing to the interior of the properties, hunt the edges.  Let the deer come to you. 

I see guys all the time walk all the way through their property to set up on the neighbors line because all the deer are on the neighbors property. They do a deer drive every time they hunt

• Agree 2

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Greybeard said:

Just my opinion, but I don't feel this has anything to do with feeding the deer.  Look at what's hiding behind it in the bill.  Did making it illegal to feed bear change anything?  People that did it still get away with doing it, and you'll rarely see it being enforced.

Ok, but what is the negative aspect of this bill? Even if you end up with people breaking the law, some will follow it and stop. I can't find an angel that would bake me against this bill

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Feeding deer doesnt put them in back yards hunting pressure does. 

Lots of guys here trample every inch of their property entering the woods, exiting and while hunting. 

I have a lady that feeds the deer by me, I always see them in her yard but they do leave after awhile and make their way into my fields. Deer like to browse but they like to live too. Some guys shoot themselves in the foot from the time they get out of their trucks.  Also, lots of guys dropping deer right on their bait piles. Deer are programmed bait piles are dangerous. Deer dont get shot in grandmas yard.  The deer learn where its safe.  

A lots of small parcels in Nj with hunters on every piece. 

Ive hunted public land, private with other hunters and now I am the only one that hunts my own 50 acres and Ive never seen so many deer. 

A lot more deer could be seen if some would change their hunting habits, set up sanctuaries forvthe deer etc. 

Most public area good luck. Seasons long and everything gets shot and constant intrusions. 

If a deer is leaving its natural habitat to live in a back yard, theres something else to it than someone tossing some feed in their yard. 

I agree. I stay out of the woods until I am hunting and two properties I hunt are loaded with deer. 

2 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Mature bucks will be there because the does are there. If you hunt a parcel that borders a piece where there is no hunting, by changing how you hunt your adjoining property would greatly improve your deer sightings. 

Deer cant tell where one property ends and another begins. 

All they know is if I go over there, someone shoots at me. If I go over there, I have food and safety. 

Instead of pushing to the interior of the properties, hunt the edges.  Let the deer come to you. 

I see guys all the time walk all the way through their property to set up on the neighbors line because all the deer are on the neighbors property. They do a deer drive every time they hunt

You just defined what I call the “idiot hunter’

5 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Ok, but what is the negative aspect of this bill? Even if you end up with people breaking the law, some will follow it and stop. I can't find an angel that would bake me against this bill

My post above from yesterday explains how I feel.  More deer will be killed now on forest management lands.  Fine maybe on the 10 acre estates in Morristown, where nobody can hunt, but the 100+ acre parcels next to public ground up here are included.  What other changes to forest management are in the bill?  Is killing a dozen deer going to be an alternate to select cutting  for the tax reduction?  Are you going to be in violation of the law if you bait the deer all year?  How soon before hunting can you feed the deer?  Might want to start picking up the mineral sights, and save the corn for the day you hunt.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

:hijack: Not so just some thoughts.

Intentional deer feeding :doh2: if there was ever a Loaded law misdirected this is one. IMO besides being discriminatory, it is misdirected.  Sure it is not a natural thing that has animals becoming dependant on handouts.  So the old Lady feeding them in her backyard will become illegal. But Someone who puts out Piles of Bait. Or Plants a Food Plot is OK. To get overboard what about Farmers who feed them with their Plantings. Where do they draw the line? I know of many people and Places where deer are Fed on a regular basis. and yes it is widespread and out in the open.  I have seen from say 6 deer to almost 100 deer Gather in some of the Feeding Spots and Yes in New Jersey.  From a Resturant That Is Famous for Feeding the deer by Ringing a bell and they come to a Running right up to the windows of the restaurant to the Corn Piles for entertainment for the Diners.    To a Person who for decades fed close to that 100 Deer in his backyard, I was privileged to know him as he allowed my Family to sit on his porch and watch.  Both Year-round. within Miles of each other. some Oldtimers know of these places. and it is smake in the middle of the Largest Hunting Lands in NJ.   Hunting was allowed in the surrounding areas of these 2 sites but had little impact on them. On both Private and Public Land.  One thing is sure the number of those deer have gone down as the Majority of that Valley has become open to Hunting, And the loss of Farming there.  It is amazing how so-called Hunters ( Opportunists ) for a better word Complain it hurts their Little Spot Amongst 1000s upon 1000s  on Acres of Huntable lands.  Just because they see no deer in that spot does not mean the Herds are Lower. Or that someone is feeding them intentionally be it Passive or baiting - Food Plots.  There were times NJFG planted food plots or leased out and required some planting be left as Food. Might add in the same valley in this post. The Quality of the Bucks sure has gotten better over the Years could it be Thinning has anything to do with it.  Deer range in Small areas they stay with the Available Food and water. When baiting was Not done and farms were doing what was called dirty harvesting deer moved more in search of available Food.  In Ending That Little old lady with some handouts is not to Cause of you not seeing or Harvesting a deer it is your lack of Gaining knowledge to Get out and explore Network.  And Yes There are 1000s of acres where there Deer and Hunters but that can work in your favor rather than Bitching he's in my Spot he puts out Food ( Bait ) and all the deer go to them. Sorry if the shoe fits but post after post are the same Complaints.  Stop looking for a Spot next to the Raod with easy access and Parking.  Stop investing the time to outfit a spot with all the BS of bait Stands and come to The Hunt the same spot as others next to you. Be Mobile adapt to use them to your advantage.  Areas that have no hunters mean no deer when it could mean no one to move them.            Lastly, I thank The farmers who intentionally fed the deer over the Years I hunted for my success.  Hunting was the only management needed.  Do you think if I told you about a 40 Miles of open Hunting  Mountains Feilds River with 1000s upon 1000s of areas of prime Deer lands you could find One? The house is on that 40 Miles do you recognize it. then you found the secret lands 

Wallpack Nj.jpg

27540074_2035064060116512_1953994132833739589_n.jpg

VanCampen_Inn.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck
  • Disagree 1

What law are you talking about ?  The only law that I know of that restricts intentional feeding is related to bears and that one is only selectively enforced.