JHbowhunter

Don't feed the deer bill moves forward

No natural predators?  Right there you know they are feeding the public a bunch of BS.  Just another way to kill more deer off, and raise the cost of licenses to process the meat for food banks.  Stop the backyard feeding, and more deer will go into the cornfields, and feed in the woods where the bill makes it easier to kill them off for doing so, then charge the hunters to process it for food bank handouts.  I wonder how many that go to food banks are illegals.   I'd bet hunters feed the deer 1000 lbs for every lb by anyone else.

greybeard - my take is they are actually helping hunters here, they are trying to get the deer to go to the HUNTING bait piles, not the NON-HUNTING deer feeders. Unless I am missing something, the only legal feeding of deer will be a hunting setup.  I have seen it first hand how a 10 acre tract is feeding deer by anti's, and all season long you can see 20-30 deer in their yard, instead of being on huntable land. 

• Agree 2

This is good news.  The management hunts that I run are significantly impacted by residents that feed deer.    

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

We'll have to see how minerals are treated off season, but either way I think it's good for hunting. 

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

greybeard - my take is they are actually helping hunters here, they are trying to get the deer to go to the HUNTING bait piles, not the NON-HUNTING deer feeders. Unless I am missing something, the only legal feeding of deer will be a hunting setup.  I have seen it first hand how a 10 acre tract is feeding deer by anti's, and all season long you can see 20-30 deer in their yard, instead of being on huntable land. 

It won't help me none.  I don't bait and hunt public.  Hunters bait in their back yard also, keeping deer around houses.  Only difference is they will get shot off over hunters bait, while I may get a crack at one that overflows off an unhunted private sanctuary.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel this has anything to do with feeding the deer.  Look at what's hiding behind it in the bill.  Did making it illegal to feed bear change anything?  People that did it still get away with doing it, and you'll rarely see it being enforced.

• Winner 1

"Oroho noted that New Jersey ranks 13th in the nation in terms of deer-vehicle crashes, and that there are no natural predators to deer in the state."

I'm going to have to give him some $h*t for that comment.  What about humans, bears, bobcats, and coyotes to name just a few "natural predators"?  I grew up with my state senator in West Milform, but he's a bit older than me.  His sister is a friend to this day.   I see Steve fairly often in my line of work and can't wait to harass him (and to better educated him).    

Both Oroho and Smith are generally good to hunters and to conservation in general in NJ.  Glad to see a component for depredation on forested lands and not just for crop fields.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Greybeard said:

No natural predators?  Right there you know they are feeding the public a bunch of BS.  Just another way to kill more deer off, and raise the cost of licenses to process the meat for food banks.  Stop the backyard feeding, and more deer will go into the cornfields, and feed in the woods where the bill makes it easier to kill them off for doing so, then charge the hunters to process it for food bank handouts.  I wonder how many that go to food banks are illegals.   I'd bet hunters feed the deer 1000 lbs for every lb by anyone else.

I volunteered at a food bank for a year awhile back.....mostly picking up  at Hillside warehouse and delivering to Linden......anyway there werent any Mexicans getting the free stuff only  women in Mink coats and people driving cadillacs.......I AM NOT KIDDING....the director said you werent allowed to check anyone out , so all you had to do is show up to get free stuff.........I was taking time out of work to try to do good and people took advantage ......so I quit...............Plus does that mean Ill be in trouble since the deer ate a bunch of Hostas and all my tulips.........

Edited by MRMCR
  • Like 1

Have to find a way to feed the illegals while they go to college for free here in Nj. 

The state will be lucky if I ever shoot another doe. Didnt shoot any last year and dont plan on it this year

• Confused 1

Wow that's a first. A bill that is for the hunters :up:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rusty said:

This is good news.  The management hunts that I run are significantly impacted by residents that feed deer.    

:agree:Helps me too. I am also on a management hunt and one of the anti's that lives across the street from one of my spots likes to feed them which impacts my hunt too.

• Agree 3

The problem these anti's have is that they think the deer they feed are theirs. I'd like to see all feeding stopped, but I highly doubt that it will ever happen. I also question how it will be enforced.  They can't enforce the laws on the books now.

• Like 2

No more laws.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Disturbing 1
  • Winner 1