IGNORED

DIY Colorado Archery Elk

I've hunted DIY Colorado Elk two times. Best advice I could give would be to-

• Get in the best cardio shape as possible
  • Find the elk before you hunt them i.e., don't waste time on spots that don't have recent elk sign
  • Worry about their nose and not so much their eyes or ears.  
  • Talk to local fish and game folks before the hunt
  • Get a good GPS, compass and maps AND be comfortable using them
  • Get the lightest weight equipment you can, often times that may be backpacking equipment, not specific to hunting equipment. 
  • Get a good pair of binoculars and a good harness for them 

1 hour ago, Sako76 said:

FF--why did you pick 47?  I rifle hunted near Basalt years ago and never saw an elk.  The largest elk herds are more northwest, I hunt Units 12 and 13, 4 is also a good unit, you may want to think about a trespass hunt if you aren't going with anyone who has hunted the area.  Showing up and trying to hunt a large piece of National Forest or BLM is a daunting task.  You missed the draw, you can only hunt OTC.  PM if you want to talk.

I am not married to this area.  I chose it based upon google searches  looking for OTC units and then that unit came up several times, then I found an article of someone that broke down the success rates, size of the herd and some other metrics and it came up towards the top in almost every category for both gun and bow.  I also am a fly fisher and have read about fishing the frying pan river for most of my life and was kind of drawn to that area after I found out it was in the unit I had found through my searches about elk.  If you can help me zero in on something that would be better I am all ears.  We can take this offline if you would like. 

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

30 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I've hunted DIY Colorado Elk two times. Best advice I could give would be to-

• Get in the best cardio shape as possible
  • Find the elk before you hunt them i.e., don't waste time on spots that don't have recent elk sign
  • Worry about their nose and not so much their eyes or ears.  
  • Talk to local fish and game folks before the hunt
  • Get a good GPS, compass and maps AND be comfortable using them
  • Get the lightest weight equipment you can, often times that may be backpacking equipment, not specific to hunting equipment. 
  • Get a good pair of binoculars and a good harness for them 

I plan on getting in as good of shape as i can pssibly in the next few months.  I plan on talking to the game and fish people as well as getting a Garmin Inreach GPS and a compass and map of the area I ultimately choose.  Based upon my research it sounds like it would be a good idea to download OnX maps and use my phone as the primary GPS?  Our packs will not be hunting specific. The pack I bought is an expedition size pack based upon what I had heard on the Gritty Bowmen podcast Aron Snyder of Kifaru mentioned many times that Mystery Ranch was who he recommended when his packs didn't work out because of the adjustability and weight carrying capacity. My pack is rated to carry 90 lbs while their hunting specific packs are rated for 150 lbs.  I have a mid line Vortex 8.5 x 50 binoculars and one of their harness's for 3D.  Right now my pack weighs 27 pounds without food and water . I would think I will likely be about 45 pounds on the trip.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

You camp right next to the truck and hike in and hunt.   I only took my pack out when I shot an elk.  I walked back to camp and got it. There are lots of elk within 2 miles of roads.  Been out there 7 times.

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

You camp right next to the truck and hike in and hunt.   I only took my pack out when I shot an elk.  I walked back to camp and got it. There are lots of elk within 2 miles of roads.  Been out there 7 times.

When do you want to go again :up:

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

19 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

I plan on getting in as good of shape as i can pssibly in the next few months.  I plan on talking to the game and fish people as well as getting a Garmin Inreach GPS and a compass and map of the area I ultimately choose.  Based upon my research it sounds like it would be a good idea to download OnX maps and use my phone as the primary GPS?  Our packs will not be hunting specific. The pack I bought is an expedition size pack based upon what I had heard on the Gritty Bowmen podcast Aron Snyder of Kifaru mentioned many times that Mystery Ranch was who he recommended when his packs didn't work out because of the adjustability and weight carrying capacity. My pack is rated to carry 90 lbs while their hunting specific packs are rated for 150 lbs.  I have a mid line Vortex 8.5 x 50 binoculars and one of their harness's for 3D.  Right now my pack weighs 27 pounds without food and water . I would think I will likely be about 45 pounds on the trip.

Why do you need to carry 45 pounds on the trip? I've done it a few times, was in great shape, and can tell you right now, 45 pounds is going to kill you, unless you plan on hunting within 1/2 mile from the truck. You shouldn't need to carry that much equipment unless you are planning on packing in several miles and making a spike camp for a night or two.

Honestly, and I don't mean to be cruel, it sounds to me like you will not really be ready to make the most of the trip until Fall 2019. If this is going to be a one time trip, take the time to plan it well, get in great shape, be a great shot with the bow to 60 yards, research your hunting area, calling techniques, elk behavior, talk with fish and game, know your hunting area, get the proper equipment, research pack out options, know your hunting area, get in great shape, etc. If you are planning on going back for the next several years, you can use this year to help you be ready for next year but hunting elk in the Colorado Rockies, especially OTC units, is not like hunting whitetails...anywhere. If you are not prepared, and want to succeed, it can be not much fun. And don't be ashamed of taking a cow for your first elk. Elk meat is great eating and any elk on a DIY hunt in OTC units is a trophy. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

We plan on driving.  I was thinking we would set up a spike camp. If we camp at the truck I don't need anything else other than the GPS, map and compass.  My son has a good day pack and he can pack his clothes  in a duffle bag.  I have a two burner and single burner propane stove from car camping when the kids were in scouts also a larger 6 man tent.  He can take a basic 3 season rectangle  sleeping bag to sleep in.

1 hour ago, DV1 said:

Why do you need to carry 45 pounds on the trip? I've done it a few times, was in great shape, and can tell you right now, 45 pounds is going to kill you, unless you plan on hunting within 1/2 mile from the truck. You shouldn't need to carry that much equipment unless you are planning on packing in several miles and making a spike camp for a night or two.

Honestly, and I don't mean to be cruel, it sounds to me like you will not really be ready to make the most of the trip until Fall 2019. If this is going to be a one time trip, take the time to plan it well, get in great shape, be a great shot with the bow to 60 yards, research your hunting area, calling techniques, elk behavior, talk with fish and game, know your hunting area, get the proper equipment, research pack out options, know your hunting area, get in great shape, etc. If you are planning on going back for the next several years, you can use this year to help you be ready for next year but hunting elk in the Colorado Rockies, especially OTC units, is not like hunting whitetails...anywhere. If you are not prepared, and want to succeed, it can be not much fun. And don't be ashamed of taking a cow for your first elk. Elk meat is great eating and any elk on a DIY hunt in OTC units is a trophy. 

DV,

How many pounds were you packing?  Everything I have read has said 1.5-2 pounds of food per day. We will be hunting for 6 days so there is 10-12 pounds alone?  I suspect I won't need to pack any more water than my water bottles but if I fill my water bladder that's another 6 pounds roughly. My bow with arrows is about 7 pounds.  

Clearly I am a newbie with this but based upon the various podcasts I have watched on Youtube and what I have read my estimate of weight seems to be right in the middle for that amount of time.  I would like to set up a spike camp away from the truck and trail to maximize our hunting time and reduce the amount of miles we have to hike each day.  I figured we would walk into an area based upon the topo maps and google earth and once we find elk sign we would camp near there but I am not averse to setting up at my truck and hiking in and out each day. Frankly that may be the best thing too because I have a bunch of car camping stuff from when my kids were in scouts. 

I am proficient with my bow out to 60 with field points. My son is not.  I have never tried to shoot my broadheads farther than 50.  My farthest shot I have ever taken and it was a clean double lung at 42 yards.  I have killed probably 125-150 deer in my life  with a bow and they have ranged from 2 feet on the ground to the 42 yards with the average probably being about 12 yards.  We  will be shooting the first legal animal because we want the meat and understand the odds are stacked against us but will consider it extremely successful being in range of any elk even if we don't have a shot opportunity. The biggest thing is the experience and adventure with my son.  No preconceived expectations.

Farmingdales....approach your trip as a experience,  if one of you get an elk, great but take it in stride. Elk will be where you find them. Might be 1/2 mile from camp or 5 miles from camp.  Personally,  I've never had a shot at an elk past 35yds. ...if hunting timber you just don't get shots at long distance. This year my son and I happen to have access to a 4k ranch....will be get an elk...maybe, but won't know until sept. 

Get a good pair of hiking boots, socks that will limit the number of blisters you will get and break them in as much as possible. Jet boil's and being in shape is a must. Did a trip to Utah on a DIY Elk hunt a few years ago...feel free to PM me and we can discuss over the phone if need be. Good luck!