IGNORED

Deer jerkey??

jerseybowhunter

Does anyone have a simple jerkey recipe? I just took a ham out of the freezer and planned on trying to make jerky, is the sodium nitrate cure manditory? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. What’s a good run or marinade that the whole family will enjoy? I was going to use the oven, I understand I need to leave the door cracked but what’s everyone run the temp st? Should I hang them from toothpicks on the rack or on a pan with holes? I guess the biggest question I have is how do I marinate it? Would like to do it over the weekend 

Recipe as taken from ducks unlimited I think it was. Very good with some spicy kick.

Do the recipe with out the tabasco and crushed peppers for the family. Comes out awesome.

I don't use cure, but probably over do mine on the dehydrator, 4 hours at 160.

IMG_2109.JPG

After years of experimenting with recipes, I now use Lawry's marinades, and spice it up a little.  I like the mesquite, and add  about a tbsp of mesquite liquid smoke, and/or mesquite BBQ dry mix .  Also like the caribbean jerk marinade, with or without half as much lemon pepper marinade.  

I'll add 1/2 tsp kosher salt or sea salt, or a little less since the marinade has salt in it, per pound of meat as a cure.  Or seasoned salt.  Don't use iodized salt.

1 bottle of marinade mixed with another bottle of water will be enough to cover 6 lbs of meat.

To that I like to add a tsp of black pepper and a tbs red pepper flakes for a little heat.  Spice it up as you may want.

Ovens aren't the best choice, but use cookie racks and a thermometer in the oven.  Keep it between 150-160.  Cut the strips 3/16 to 1/8th inch thick.  Dry for around 9 hours, checking for when they bend without snapping, and show white tissue inside, and aren't spongy in thicker areas.  Cover the bottom of the oven with foil, or you'll have a mess to clean.

Marinade in a large glass jar(2gl is plenty big enough for 6lbs)for a couple days in the fridge, stir a couple times a day.  Make sure the meat is all covered.  Add more mix or just water if you have to.

I lay the meat out between layers of paper towels to remove the excess marinade.  Don't wash it off.  Leave them covered with marinade, but not dripping wet.

Edited by Greybeard

Rusty - you didn't steal that from me - too detailed.  Here's mine:

Worcestershire / teriyaki in equal parts.  Brown sugar - add until you think you added too much, then add more.  Marinate in fridge anywhere from one to five days.  Dehydrate.

Key is to use a dehydrator.  I do mine in 12 +/- shifts.  Get one that blows front to back (that's what she said) instead of bottom to top.  You'll find out why, if you don't.

Good luck..............

Here is mine for 5 lb of fresh meat

1 cup of Teriyaki sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp Liquid smoke
8 TBS Lemon pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tbs black pepper
1cup Brown Sugar
If you like little heat add 1 to 2 tbs Chipotle in Adbo Sauce

Mix and let the cut up meat marinate for 24 hrs

31 minutes ago, jerseybowhunter said:

So the sodium nitrate isn’t  necessary as long as I use kosher or sea salt?

Not necessary. I use kosher salt and my jerky sits in a brine for up to 7 days. Never been sick. Been using this recipe for over 30 years.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

1 hour ago, Tarhunt said:

Not necessary. I use kosher salt and my jerky sits in a brine for up to 7 days. Never been sick. Been using this recipe for over 30 years.

I don't even use salt in mine.  I think the Worcestershire and teriyaki have enough preservatives in them.

10 hours ago, rocky said:

Botulism is for real guys! It can kill you or your loved ones. I do not risk it and I never will.

Nothing wrong with putting some cure in there especially if you are going to store it a while.