IGNORED

2nd season clover growth

So last spring you might have followed along on my clover planting process 1/4 acre backyard food plot.

With the warm temps and rain finally here you can see my clovers are coming in nicely. I frost seeded and you can see the dirt area with new growth from that. (That is a section that floods and gets plowed durin snowy days so the clovers get dug up accidnetlally.)

There are some grasses growing but the clover should choke it out - I will mow the plot in another few weeks once it deepens. I might spray if the grasses get too thick.

Last summer I sprayed and mowed in a dry spell and mowed short on top of that.. the clovers stressed out and went dormant all deer season. This year I went make that mistake.  I won't mow it all summer unless there is rain coming. And now I have a brush hog to mow it deeper than my rose on mower would allow. Should be fun!

20180427_130150.jpg

20180423_190139.jpg

20180427_130243.jpg

20180427_130209.jpg

20180427_130229.jpg

2 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Clover is cheap, when we have a good rain in the forecast keep over seeding it. 

Jay needs to stop buying the ridiculously expensive "hunting brand" of clover and buy in bulk as you do.  Same stuff for less than 1/10th the cost.   I meant to say something to him yesterday when I was over with TroutandBucks to drop off T&B's gobbler for a full strut mount.  Jay, save yourself tons and buy enough to overseed regularly.  Imperial Whitetail Clover is just a huge marketing ploy aimed at selling to hunters for small food plots.  If you check the seed source, you will quickly find it everywhere online in bulk for pennies on the dollar by comparison.  I learned that lesson long ago myself at our old PA hunting camp.     

23 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Jay needs to stop buying the ridiculously expensive "hunting brand" of clover and buy in bulk as you do.  Same stuff for less than 1/10th the cost.   I meant to say something to him yesterday when I was over with TroutandBucks to drop off T&B's gobbler for a full strut mount.  Jay, save yourself tons and buy enough to overseed regularly.  Imperial Whitetail Clover is just a huge marketing ploy aimed at selling to hunters for small food plots.  If you check the seed source, you will quickly find it everywhere online in bulk for pennies on the dollar by comparison.  I learned that lesson long ago myself at our old PA hunting camp.     

I already turned him on to Merit seed so he could buy the seed cheaper

www.liftxrentals.com

My clover plots look like rototillees went through them. They have browsed it real hard. 

You should put up a utilization cage. It will tell you how much the deer are browsing it. 

Make sure you stake it. The deer at my place knock it over or nudge it to the side

www.liftxrentals.com

13 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

My clover plots look like rototillees went through them. They have browsed it real hard. 

You should put up a utilization cage. It will tell you how much the deer are browsing it. 

Make sure you stake it. The deer at my place knock it over or nudge it to the side

Tcook, what about fencing an area and saving it for late Oct? Do you think something like that would work?

1 hour ago, megavites said:

Tcook, what about fencing an area and saving it for late Oct? Do you think something like that would work?

Ive never seen it done with clover probably because it can handle heavy browsing. My clover should bounce back now that things are starting to green up. I do hear more fencing of smaller plots of corn and soybeans

www.liftxrentals.com

• 3 weeks later...