IGNORED

Invasive Plant Species

Hey Bucks and Bows (or anyone else) - think there is a problem with lesser celandine and pear (Bradford) in the South Branch drainage?????  I was working down that way yesterday and I could not believe the amount of both.  I should have taken a few photos.  It was crazy.  We are doomed.

I am back here in NJ for a couple days and yesterday was down in Kingswood by my parents old place on Lockatong creek the whole flood plain was a carpet of yellow with blooming Lesser Celandine. I don't  see any of that where I am now living in Va. but Bradford Pear is another story plus Olive and Multieflora are creeping  in as well.

Yup, it's everywhere in northern NJ!  Ironically, it was imported as a riparian herbaceous plant believed at the time to provide good initial plantings on restoration projects.  Now it is nothing more than a foreign species that creates a monoculture that prevents natives from taking their place.  Everywhere you look right now are the yellow "buttercups" by our trout streams.  Sucks, but where would we be if we didn't have non-native invasives? :banghead:

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I worry less about the Bradford pears, but they are still prolific.  Another landscaping plant sold in nurseries everywhere that is taking over from our native species....

Well yeah I guess you are right something has to replace Chestnut, Elm and Ash; Sweet Cherry can't do it all on its own. Oh what's the latest on SODD? 

18 hours ago, jakesbeard said:

Well yeah I guess you are right something has to replace Chestnut, Elm and Ash; Sweet Cherry can't do it all on its own. Oh what's the latest on SODD? 

The only good news on that list is that the biological control for Emerald ash borer beetle, a wasp, has been highly successful in limiting the beetles damage and will win out over time it is believed.  We will have lost this generation of mature ash trees most likely, but the regenerating trees are expected to bounce the population back over time.  Time as in beyond our time here on Earth, but they will come back.    

15 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

If only the Bradfords produced some pears!!  Can they be grafted to do so!?!?

I was on a friends farm south of Poittstown on Sunday and while he has been grafting apples for some time I noticed he had grafted a Bradford Pear.

When I asked about the grafted Bradford he said sure why not make the damn thing productive look it's practicly growing in rocks let's see what happens this guy is often crazy...like a fox.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, LittleM said:

I found the celandine in my lawn in Green Township of all place and spent last evening spraying.  Brad pears are a major issue if your in the wetland mitigation business .............................

Seems there are 3 species of Celandine The Greater is used in medicine. for many ailments. But I don't want in my Yard either.  How long will it take for The Wasp killing Beetle to become a Threat on something? F with Mother Nature only creates man-made problems.   

Chelidonium_majus_-_Köhler–s_Medizinal-Pflanzen-033.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif