nmc02

Set scope back to zero

I learned a neat trick today from a Leupold tech. If you want to re-zero a scope ....meaning windage and elevation, do this. Set scope to lowest power  (ie. 3x9x40; set power to 3). Now place the scope against a mirror while looking through it in a well lit room (bathroom). Now adjust windage and elevation back to factory zero. Really neat trick. When you look through scope against mirror, you will see two sets of crosshairs. Simply make it one set and you are back to zero (windage and elevation are centered). 

• Like 9
  • Winner 1

great tip....thanks:up:

Posted (edited)

I guess it has to be off the gun to do it. Great tip though. Surprised no one mentioned it before. The only other way I know of is to count the clicks from one extreme to the other and divide by half. 

Edited by archer36
  • Agree 1

I have done this for years but there is one thing you must do for this to be accurate. The mirror should be flat on a table with light over head. When you lean over you will block any glare and and possible refraction which will give false reading. Example: if you do it in a bathroom with the light over head the cross refraction of light in the mirror and scope will give false readings, hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

:up:

Leupold is a great company to deal with.

• Agree 1

That's cool

I posted this before but maybe some of you didn't read it but you can sight your gun with one single shot.

All you need is a good sled.
Set you gun in a sled and take one single shot, aiming for the center of your target.
After the shot readjust your gun in a sled so the cross heir is exactly on the spot you were aiming.
Now without touching/moving your gun, while looking through the scope adjust your vertical and horizontal adjustment so the cross hairs end up where you hit the target. If you do it perfectly, you are sighted in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I bought a bore sighter years ago and never looked back. Most of the time  I'm done in 3-5 shots. The mirror trick is redneck technology at its best. 

• Haha 1

What he's taking about had nothing to do with sighting in.  He is talking about factory zero

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trophy8 said:

Interesting

I don't think anyone disputed that fact?

9 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

I bought a bore sighter years ago and never looked back. Most of the time  I'm done in 3-5 shots. The mirror trick is redneck technology at its best. 

Which one did you buy and how good is it. I am thinking about getting one.

15 hours ago, archer36 said:

I guess it has to be off the gun to do it. Great tip though. Surprised no one mentioned it before. The only other way I know of is to count the clicks from one extreme to the other and divide by half. 

Yes. It has to be off the gun....It saves you time, as I use to factory zero by counting clicks too.

• Winner 1

13 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Which one did you buy and how good is it. I am thinking about getting one.

Bushnell Banner Boresighter Kit