Jump to content
Jim_

Tick Protection For Dogs ?

Recommended Posts

I was wondering what folks use on their dogs for protection against ticks.

I've been reading around and I can't find anything done by a reputable source about the effectiveness of the different products. Just casual comparisons of cost, dosing, methods, etc.

Different vets have different opinions. Some are against giving the dog a medication to be given my mouth like Bravecto, others prefer them to the topical treatments like Advantix. 

Ticks are an evil scourge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its Advantage the Mrs uses on our Rat Terriers....its placed on the back of their neck and works good...I do know at one point it was cheaper to have it shipped from Australia than to buy it here,  even though it was made here.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We use a two-fold approach on our dogs.  Peppermint oil goes in their shampoo and then rubbed in to their fur and legs periodically.  The strong scent of essential oils like that acts as a deterrent to fleas, ticks, etc. 

We tried all of the topical products like Frontline and Advantix, etc in the past and they don't work at all to keep ticks off of the dogs.  

About a year ago we started giving the Bravecto pill and I will say that it works like a charm for ticks.    

Edited by not on the rug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my hounds I had been using frontline for a long time, but had to change things up and use another brand as it seemed like it wasn't as good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the Seresto dog collar.  Depending on the dog's size they cost around $50 and last 8 months. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

We use a two-fold approach on our dogs.  Peppermint oil goes in their shampoo and then rubbed in to their fur and legs periodically.  The strong scent of essential oils like that acts as a deterrent to fleas, ticks, etc. 

We tried all of the topical products like Advantix, etc in the past and they don't work at all to keep ticks off of the dogs.  

About a year ago we started giving the Bravecto pill and I will say that it works like a charm for ticks.    

That's good news with the Bravecto pill. We are constantly at war with ticks in the pines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Silver Belly62 said:

For my hounds I had been using frontline for a long time, but had to change things up and use another brand as it seemed like it wasn't as good 

I've read that ..... some folks feel that Frontline becomes less effective over time.

I used Frontline for years, but I switched some years back because it seemed to me to lose its effectiveness after the dog spent a lot of time in water .... though it claims to be waterproof. I don't know. I've been using AdvantixII.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Frontline on our Brittanies with great success over the years, but only briefly in Spring and again in fall during hunting season. He swims in our pool from late May until sometime in September and the chlorine keeps ticks off better than anything else ever did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Vet recommended Advantix II and I have been using that on my GSP with maybe only 4 ticks on her in 3 years. Apply it to her head, neck shoulders and down her back and brush it in and around to spread it.

But I think her dark color has a lot to do with it. I was told that ticks go to light/white colors because most animals bellies are white. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

My Vet recommended Advantix II and I have been using that on my GSP with maybe only 4 ticks on her in 3 years. Apply it to her head, neck shoulders and down her back and brush it in and around to spread it.

But I think her dark color has a lot to do with it. I was told that ticks go to light/white colors because most animals bellies are white. 

I think ticks are like heat seeking missiles, always looking for  warm blooded animals. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sharpdogs said:

Try the Seresto dog collar.  Depending on the dog's size they cost around $50 and last 8 months. 

I train and run dogs year round and this is best I've found.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is a vet and she recommends Bravecto. been using it for 3 years and we are in the woods year round tracking and training and have never had a tick bite him yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my vet was very thumbs down on Frontline, and recommended K9 Advantix, so that's what I use on my 80lb lab...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My findings:

Frontline cant even kill a cat- so they're out.

Advantix2 I used and I would find ticks on my dog, attached to her skin, dead. Who knows how long it took to die? Idk. Hopefully before diseases are transmitted.

Twice I found the finish on my hardwood floors stained and melted- figured out it was running off her back right after application and ruining my floors.both spots are 4 equally spaced blotches the distance apart I applied to her back. Never would have figured it out if I didnt notice it dripping the 2nd time.

I switched to nexguard chewable tablets. Expensive and I was worried because I figured if these ingredients could destroy my finish on my floor, what is it doing to her skin? And what would it do to her insides if she ate it? Then I thought about what cola does to many surfaces- and we drink that all the time- so it was worth a try being very few dog death reviews I found.

Now I find a tick- on her hair- dead- not attached. I dont know how it works- but seems to be the best. Sometimes I'll find one attached and dead.. but so nice to not need to have those ugly stains on her back for a week every month.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread, lots of different recommendations. 

We switched to the Seresto collar this year because Frontline wasn't effective. With the collar we've pulled multiple ticks off our dogs but none in the past 2 weeks. None have bit them but we do check them every time they come inside. Do the collars not prevent them from biting? Are they suppose to get off the dog only after feeling the effects of the collar or prevent them entirely for getting on the dog? Either way it's been a horrendous year for ticks.

Might have to try the Bravecto chews...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use cattle ear tags that you buy at Tractor Supply. I cut 1 in 1/2, and put 1/2 on each dog's collar. Keeps ticks and fleas away, at a small fraction of the cost of other products. They also get lyme shots once a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

My findings:

Frontline cant even kill a cat- so they're out.

Advantix2 I used and I would find ticks on my dog, attached to her skin, dead. Who knows how long it took to die? Idk. Hopefully before diseases are transmitted.

Twice I found the finish on my hardwood floors stained and melted- figured out it was running off her back right after application and ruining my floors.both spots are 4 equally spaced blotches the distance apart I applied to her back. Never would have figured it out if I didnt notice it dripping the 2nd time.

I switched to nexguard chewable tablets. Expensive and I was worried because I figured if these ingredients could destroy my finish on my floor, what is it doing to her skin? And what would it do to her insides if she ate it? Then I thought about what cola does to many surfaces- and we drink that all the time- so it was worth a try being very few dog death reviews I found.

Now I find a tick- on her hair- dead- not attached. I dont know how it works- but seems to be the best. Sometimes I'll find one attached and dead.. but so nice to not need to have those ugly stains on her back for a week every month.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

I use the next guard to, very expensive and scary of what it does there inside, but good analogy Jay works great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a question - why don't they have these chewables for humans??? I'd easily take one pill a month if it meant I didn't have to worry about ticks. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been using nexguard for my lab and have had good results.   Expensive.  Used it at reccomendation of vet.  She said that the topicals would not be very effective if the dog is doing water work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nexgard is made by the same company as frontline. Different active  ingredient 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2018 at 4:43 PM, mazzgolf said:

Here's a question - why don't they have these chewables for humans??? I'd easily take one pill a month if it meant I didn't have to worry about ticks. :) 

John, why not try the nexguard and report back to us your findings-- you know if it works for humans. LOL. Whats the worse thing that can happen? You start chasing cars down the street or bark when you hear the doorbell?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pudelpointer Henry has been on bravecto for over a year now ,no problems,no ticks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now