IGNORED

New truck

Swamp_Yankee

nice good luck with the new truck. my next truck may be a f150. we have a bunch at work and some are reaching 250,000 miles. a lot is highway but still. our trucks take a beating as well, driving down quarries, city streets, everywhere. 

in fact my first truck was a 1988 F250, I thought I was the coolest kid in high school lol! I drove that to 220,000 miles 

Edited by Kype

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

That's a lot of miles, still not happy?

Spent enough on parts to have bought a new truck, and there were things I didn't bother fixing.   I've kept other vehicles a long time, and never had the problems that I had with my fords.  Motor was an international, not made by Ford.  Very happy with the 7.3.  Best motor Ford ever used, but they had to go and discontinue using it for a lesser motor.

Diesels aren't worth buying when the rest of the truck falls apart before the diesels lifetime, when the initial cost of a motor is more than having another engine installed, when fuel is 40-80 cents more per gallon, and engines are now getting as good mileage.

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Spent enough on parts to have bought a new truck, and there were things I didn't bother fixing.   I've kept other vehicles a long time, and never had the problems that I had with my fords.  Motor was an international, not made by Ford.  Very happy with the 7.3.  Best motor Ford ever used, but they had to go and discontinue using it for a lesser motor.

Diesels aren't worth buying when the rest of the truck falls apart before the diesels lifetime, when the initial cost of a motor is more than having another engine installed, when fuel is 40-80 cents more per gallon, and engines are now getting as good mileage.

I have a 2000 with the 7.3, 148,000 miles.  Have had since new.  I am considering a gas engine for my next truck as I only tow the 10,000 pound 5th wheel a couple of times a year.  Had very few problems with mine, still have the original clutch.

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I have a 2000 with the 7.3, 148,000 miles.  Have had since new.  I am considering a gas engine for my next truck as I only tow the 10,000 pound 5th wheel a couple of times a year.  Had very few problems with mine, still have the original clutch.

That's just getting broken in. 

Throwout bearing went on mine at 90,000.  Clutch was still like new, but replaced disc, pilot bearing, and pressure plate, anyway.  Replacement lasted around 350,000.  Replaced the flywheel with a solid one the second time, since a spring broke a long time ago in the original one, and the gears on the  starter and flywheel were worn to where it was a hit or miss.  

4 hours ago, Mink said:

Nice! Looks real clean and sounds like a well put together rig, and that's from a GM guy...anything but a toyota ! 

Every manufacturer has their niche, IMO.  GM builds the best muscle and sports cars-I've been in love with Corvettes, Camaros, Chevelles, etc...ever since I can remember.  It probably helped that my uncle was a GM assembly line worker and Corvette nut, and my dad raced an 11 second Chevelle at Englishtown.  Toyota builds the best compact trucks (I own a 1991 Toyota 4x4 pickup) and SUVs for real off-road use, but I'd never in a million years buy a Tundra.  For 3/4 and 1 ton trucks it's got to be a Ford.  GM got it wrong in the late '80s when they went to IFS.  IFS is fine for compact trucks, but not for 3/4 and 1 tons.  Dodge/MOPAR I just never got into period.  Cummins builds a good engine, but that's pretty much it-never really cared for the trucks themselves...

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I agree, After all of the many Fords that I had, I now own Chevrolets.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".