I was just bequeathed an older Remington Model 760 Gamemaster in .308.  Also a number of what appear to be older cartridges with big, round-nosed bullets, no idea what grain.  My questions is, having never owned a pump, does it require use of those type bullets, or can I use lighter, point-tipped bullets?  Thanks.

Yes, you can use lighter, point-tipped bullets.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I bet the bullets you have are 180 grain Remington.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I would research to rate of twist and go from there when buying ammo

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

If it has a tubular magazine you shouldn't use pointed bullets unless you use those relatively new polymer tipped pointed bullets. I think these are called "Lever Revolution". These are made in 30-30 and .35Rem, I don't know of these type bullets are available in .308win.

Edited by 230jhp

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Codaboy said:

I would research to rate of twist and go from there when buying ammo

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I believe the twist on a .308 is 1-10

Edited by 230jhp
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

If it has a tubular magazine you shouldn't use pointed bullets unless you use those relatively new polymer tipped pointed bullets. I think these are called "Lever Revolution". These are made in 30-30 and .35Rem, I don't know of these type bullets are available in .308win.

It's a 760 it has a detachable "stack" type magazine, not tubular.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nomad said:

It's a 760 it has a detachable "stack" type magazine, not tubular.

Nomad is correct. Ammo will work from bottom to top when cycled into chamber, as it's a pump action. A lever action pushes from rear to front, horizontal. That is the reason for "lever revolution " designed ammo.

think of the winchester 94, the ammo used back in the day were silver tips with a flat tip slightly larger than the primer dia. the rounds are loaded thru the loading gate and are stacked end to end in the mag. tube under spring pressure. the lever revolution ammo is a new spin on the mag. tube rifle winchester, marlin etc. they are not intended for rifles that are single shot or magazine loaded. as nomad and nmco2 said.

the 760 is a box magazine fed pump action rifle. It is capable of very good accuracy. Due to the nature of the pump the barrel is free floated. the cam action has 6 lugs.  those old school round nose bullets sound like " brush busting" 180 grain soft point. 

I had this same rifle killed plenty  of deer. Congrats on the rifle keep it and shoot it those old timers just keep getting better. Since its magazine feed you canshoot any 308 ammo ya like. My gun liked 165 gain remmy green box.

• Like 1