Bucksnbows

Keep an eye out for shad in the Musky

This makes me smile like you will never know, having played a role in seeing shad and striped bass back in the lower Musky and knowing as a direct result of our Partnership's (Lower Musconetcong River Restoration Partnership) success on the Musky, that obsolete dams are being targeted on other NJ tribs to the Delaware River like the Paulins Kill.  Please let fisheries biologists know if you see them or accidentally land them.  Gizzard shad we know about, it is American shad we are trying to document more and more of each year.  Last year they came in large pods into the Musky and headed right to the big dam remaining in the Musky Gorge, the venerable Warren Glen Mill dam that is about 35' tall and 300' wide.

Musconetcong R shad sign 3-9-18.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Principal Fisheries Biologist Pat Hamilton from the Division's Lebanon Fisheries Lab, holding an American shad she and crews had just electro fished in the Musky last spring.  That's the big dam(n) behind her in the photo.  She said it was the highlight of her career, and if you know Pat, you know there is no bigger lover of native brook trout, so that came as a surprise to me to hear her say.      

Pat Hamilton holding American shad in Musky.gif

• Like 3

That is so cool to see Brian.  Kudos to you and everyone involved with restoring our rivers.  :up: :up:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

She said it was the highlight of her career, and if you know Pat, you know there is no bigger lover of native brook trout, so that came as a surprise to me to hear her say. 

Sorry dude, but I'm sure finding those first ancestral brook trout still trumps the shad.  :poke:  

• Agree 2

Nice to hear. All for shad in the musky...not the stripers...they will destroy any trout.

Thats great im sure it feel great to see that all your hard work is paying off . Making something better for the next generation. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, GunDogs said:

Is the Warren Glen Mill dam being removed this year? 

No, that removal is and always has been years away.  You might be thinking about the Columbia Lake dam on the lower Paulins Kill River?  There is momentum within the NJDEP to remove Warren Glen as the state co-owns it.  But even if fully funded, it's going to take a few years to get the sediment out that is above it.  That all has to be trucked off which is expensive.  The Empire State Building could not hold the sediment behind it, and that is not me exaggerating,  that is what we found during bathymetry studies of the size and amount of sediment between the dam and the RR trestle about 2/3 of a mile above the dam.  

Some folks confuse the Hughesville Mill dam that used to be maybe 200 yards downstream of the long defunct Warren Glen paper mill as the "Warren Glen Mill dam", but the Hughesville dam which was removed over a year ago fueled the old paper mill at Cypher's Road which is the Hughesville Mill.  That dam's removal the year before last allowed shad up to the Warren Glen Mill dam which is the dam you see behind Pat Hamilton in the picture.  

Posted (edited)

That's great to see. I think rgw caught one last year while trout fishing on the musky too.

Edited by Buck154

3 hours ago, rgw said:

I got one on the muskie last year on a pink worm, lol

I was with Pat Hamilton most of the day today on a Musky native brook trout tributary, and she is still waiting for her first report this spring from anglers of American shad being caught or seen in the lower river.  I remember anglers telling us (Pat and I) that "shad were all over the river" about a year before we removed the Finesville Mill dam.  She ran back to the Lebanon Fisheries Lab and grabbed a backpack electrofishing unit and had me jump in with it behind the deep hole below the dam before we removed that dam.  I was shocking the $&it out of gizzard shad, but no American shad that year.  I know she and I were both disappointed.  So fast forward to last year when she began getting reports and pix of American shad and finally found lots of pods of them while electrofishing further upstream.   

• Like 1

From the Warren Glen Mill Dam down was some very good trout water. Seeing the shad run up there is pretty cool. Rumor has it that kids from the DRSFA's Shad in the Schools program released their project fingerlings in to the river.

• Like 1

This is great news! I say knock as many dams down as possible!  It would be great to return our rivers back to the way they were before they were dammed up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, _X7 said:

From the Warren Glen Mill Dam down was some very good trout water. Seeing the shad run up there is pretty cool. Rumor has it that kids from the DRSFA's Shad in the Schools program released their project fingerlings in to the river.

If they did, they had to have full permission from the Division.  I know there was a time when there were legal issues with Shad in the Classroom years ago at a time when I was running the Trout In the Classroom (TIC) program for NJ.  Those programs are very much on the state fishery departments' radar screens because shad have federal protections and jurisdiction is not always just left to the state when it comes to where shad can be released.  For the TIC program, the goal was to only stocked the young brook trout (currently rainbows) into Division approved waters with a free permit supplied by the Division once all paperwork was filled out.  

1 hour ago, gillripper said:

This is great news! I say knock as many dams down as possible!  It would be great to return our rivers back to the way they were before they were dammed up.

I wonder if the trout fishermen and guides and associated businesses on the West Branch, East Branch and Main stem Delaware River would agree with you considering the dams at Cannonsville and Pepacton reservoirs.  Most likely, they would not, and not politely either because of the trout fishery that exists below the reservoirs and in the reservoirs.