IGNORED

anyone here cook on cast iron?

Kype

Love cooking on my cast iron frying pAn. But if you can tell me how to cook those eggs and have them be non stick it would be great. I have failed in this endeavor. Only success I’ve had is if they are floating in oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

Love cooking on my cast iron frying pAn. But if you can tell me how to cook those eggs and have them be non stick it would be great. I have failed in this endeavor. Only success I’ve had is if they are floating in oil

season, season, season. what I do to season my cast iron is wipe everything down with canola oil. then bake the skillets in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. do not open the oven, let the oven and skillets cool down on there own. best bet is open the oven the next morning. then wipe them down again with canola oil and hang them up.  I repeat this process as needed. 

to clean after cooking, I normally wipe the skillets out with a hot wet clothe.(not paper towel). if there is any hard stuff I will let the skillets soak in hot water for 30 min and then scrape out with a rubber spatula. then wipe the skillets again with canola oil, and hang.

I have yet for any eggs (even scrambled) to stick to any of my cast iron. and this is with no oil or butter applied prior to cooking or cracking the shell.  

30 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

We've sold lots of Griswold and Wagner at our estate sales over the years......

please let know when you run into cast iron. I will buy them. especially old cast iron. for some reason old cast iron is smoother then new cast iron...

season, season, season. what I do to season my cast iron is wipe everything down with canola oil. then bake the skillets in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. do not open the oven, let the oven and skillets cool down on there own. best bet is open the oven the next morning. then wipe them down again with canola oil and hang them up.  I repeat this process as needed. 
to clean after cooking, I normally wipe the skillets out with a hot wet clothe.(not paper towel). if there is any hard stuff I will let the skillets soak in hot water for 30 min and then scrape out with a rubber spatula. then wipe the skillets again with canola oil, and hang.
I have yet for any eggs (even scrambled) to stick to any of my cast iron. and this is with no oil or butter applied prior to cooking or cracking the shell.  

Thank you. I seasoned my pAn about 10 years ago but never again. I keep it oiled and use it often. But I’m going to re season in the oven.

14 hours ago, Kype said:

I season with either Crisco or bacon fat.  For some dishes (like pot roast and beef stew), I'll chop bacon and cook it in the pan as the "oil" to put in before browning and seasoning meats.  That makes meat taste awesome!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

4 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I season with either Crisco or bacon fat.  For some dishes (like pot roast and beef stew), I'll chop bacon and cook it in the pan as the "oil" to put in before browning and seasoning meats.  That makes meat taste awesome!

good idea. when I first started looking into using cast iron, I read a few articles and videos and many said that cooking bacon for your first meal is the best. gives the cast iron a good head start to get oil in it. 

21 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

I use to exclusively use a cast iron skillet that I pulled from a customers attic and reseasoned. But recently I discovered carbon steel pans from Lodge! They heat much more evenly with hardly any hotspots like cast iron and have the same if not better nonstick capability (my first cook out of the box was scrambled eggs and they never stuck even a little and every cook since has been a pleasure). 

The one thing I'll say is better about the cast iron skillet was the look, it stays a nice even black whereas the carbon steel has color variations from the heat. I too love the thought of using my antique cast iron but my new pans just plain out perform and now it's all I cook on! 

There is a time and place for carbon steel pans.   I   love mine too.  But the reason your carbons heat more evenly than the casts and don't have hot spots os bc you have cheap cast iron pans.  The $30 jobbies are junk.

Good carbon steel pans can be had for pretty cheap.  The season easily, become virtually nonstick and are amazing for saute

As for fats, use things like bacon fat, lard or tallow.  They are heat stable and work like a charm.
Avoid things like crisco or canola oil.  Those things are not fit for human consumption.  The last thing you want to do is coat your pan in a layer of rancid crude oil

Welp I’m re seasoning mine with pig larded we speak . Hoping to get a better non stick surface. The flavor is there the non stick is not