Kype

anyone here cook on cast iron?

I exclusively cook on cast iron now for about 2 years. I stopped in ace hardware one day and saw the lodge skillets on display so I bought a small one. haven't looked back since. my mother in law also gave me her mothers cast iron from the 30s. its amazing how something that old is still like it was the day she cooked on them. cast iron is the ultimate non stick cooking surface as long as you take good care of them. they require more maintenance then other skillets but I don't mind it. 

5ad223542ed2a_castiron5.thumb.jpg.be57d6ee7506aaf747800d378771c5ae.jpg

5ad223732cc9b_castiron4.thumb.jpg.49ae3d34981213245aa32c6046077408.jpg

5ad22389ef412_castiron3.thumb.jpg.0aa27bd840e6347d4a77825f529b85db.jpg

5ad2239d4f869_castiron1.thumb.jpg.66f34b73597c472e4241ad86d23da73a.jpg

5ad223ae50cd7_castiron2.thumb.jpg.61dd180f775a6f59eb86c3afadfecc3e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Winner 1
  • Confused 1

I do but not exclusively and I agree, great nonstick. Try browning your chicken with something heavy on top of the chicken. You will get the most crispy chicken on the planet.

Yes we use cast iron as well, and it just seems food taste better when using it......Clean, dry, and oil and it will get better as time goes on

Yes, love the cast iron.  Use it as often as I can.  :up: 

I find food has a better taste, with more even cooking. There is some literature suggesting that cast iron has health benefits. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love my cast iron cook ware! Some of it belonged to my grand parents.

4 minutes ago, koz said:

I love my cast iron cook ware! Some of it belonged to my grand parents.

older it gets, the better it becomes !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Personally, I don't cook, ever, nothing, nada... hell, I'm not even allowed unsupervised into the kitchen.

I bought lots of the cast Iron Pots for the Mrs through the years, she loves them. Uses them every day.

I highly recommend them, they last forever.:up:

• Winner 1

I bought lots of the cast Iron Pots for the Mrs through the years, she loves them. Uses them every day.

You done good,and must be a good man,you don't want to fight with a women with one of them in her hand.:rofl::rofl:

• Agree 1

I use to exclusively use a cast iron skillet that I pulled from a customers attic and reseasoned. But recently I discovered carbon steel pans from Lodge! They heat much more evenly with hardly any hotspots like cast iron and have the same if not better nonstick capability (my first cook out of the box was scrambled eggs and they never stuck even a little and every cook since has been a pleasure). 

The one thing I'll say is better about the cast iron skillet was the look, it stays a nice even black whereas the carbon steel has color variations from the heat. I too love the thought of using my antique cast iron but my new pans just plain out perform and now it's all I cook on! 

I love cast iron pots, skillets.  I would use them exclusively except the wife thinks they're too heavy so she uses one non-stick skillet for light cooking.  All the major meals are done on the cast iron. 

Have about 30 different pieces  of cast iron. Dutch ovens , pans ECT. Just took two pans out of the oven that I seasoned today.

Dave

We have a few cast iron skillets that we cook with-  nothing better in my opinion. 

They are great to cook on. My dad took the ones we had as I grew up down to Florida. 

We've sold lots of Griswold and Wagner at our estate sales over the years......

Love cooking on my cast iron frying pAn. But if you can tell me how to cook those eggs and have them be non stick it would be great. I have failed in this endeavor. Only success I’ve had is if they are floating in oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

Love cooking on my cast iron frying pAn. But if you can tell me how to cook those eggs and have them be non stick it would be great. I have failed in this endeavor. Only success I’ve had is if they are floating in oil

season, season, season. what I do to season my cast iron is wipe everything down with canola oil. then bake the skillets in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. do not open the oven, let the oven and skillets cool down on there own. best bet is open the oven the next morning. then wipe them down again with canola oil and hang them up.  I repeat this process as needed. 

to clean after cooking, I normally wipe the skillets out with a hot wet clothe.(not paper towel). if there is any hard stuff I will let the skillets soak in hot water for 30 min and then scrape out with a rubber spatula. then wipe the skillets again with canola oil, and hang.

I have yet for any eggs (even scrambled) to stick to any of my cast iron. and this is with no oil or butter applied prior to cooking or cracking the shell.  

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

We've sold lots of Griswold and Wagner at our estate sales over the years......

please let know when you run into cast iron. I will buy them. especially old cast iron. for some reason old cast iron is smoother then new cast iron...

One of my favorite things for breakfast is a plain old fresh hard roll  flattened in my hands. And cooked in the cast iron skillet in the sizzling butter man is that ever good and so simple. 

season, season, season. what I do to season my cast iron is wipe everything down with canola oil. then bake the skillets in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. do not open the oven, let the oven and skillets cool down on there own. best bet is open the oven the next morning. then wipe them down again with canola oil and hang them up.  I repeat this process as needed. 
to clean after cooking, I normally wipe the skillets out with a hot wet clothe.(not paper towel). if there is any hard stuff I will let the skillets soak in hot water for 30 min and then scrape out with a rubber spatula. then wipe the skillets again with canola oil, and hang.
I have yet for any eggs (even scrambled) to stick to any of my cast iron. and this is with no oil or butter applied prior to cooking or cracking the shell.  

Thank you. I seasoned my pAn about 10 years ago but never again. I keep it oiled and use it often. But I’m going to re season in the oven.

Love cast iron I even bought the little charcoal grill from Lodge. Have been using them for over 40 years