IGNORED

Pellet gun question

Jared

I have done some searching on hear and read the posts and still have a bit of confusion.  I am looking to pick up an entry level pellet gun for my son for his birthday.  Something for a little plinking and the occasional squirrel in the fall. 

Do I understand correctly that this one would be fine, the gamo varmint .177, but that a crosman fire np is not (due to the noise reduction)?  It seems like the rest of the specs are similar and fit all the requirements but I just want to clarify. 

Also, any other suggestions in the $200 or less category?

Thanks,

Jared

It boils down to Price Versus CFS  To pick out one for Hunting is one thing for Plinking is another.  CO 2 or Pump is another choice.  $200 is Low look at some of the German Ones think of it as an investment.      NJ It is Classed as  Firearm FID needed in Nj and a Rifle Permit after the safety course. Renewed every year.  And Noice suppressors are a no-no in NJ                                                                                                                                       There are Air Guns that are for Play and ones used for the Big game from deer to Buffalo. Dating back a hundred years.  Opinions will fly all over on the personal choice visit a gun Shop and discuss what you want or need.  I have only had ones for entertainment the only one left is a Semi Auto Clip Fed  Daisy  CO 2 Pistol no effect but for Target shooting.  Got it before Nj deemed them a firearm.            Check ou Pellet Gun Depot look at ones that are at least 1100 FPS  around $250.  $300.                                                       

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

24 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

NJ It is Classed as  Firearm FID needed in Nj and a Rifle Permit after the safety course

NOTE: it is correct you need an FID and pass a NICS check to purchase an airgun in NJ (unlike, say, DE where you can purchase off the shelf since they are not considered firearms), but you DO NOT need a rifle permit to hunt with an air gun in NJ. See page 27 of the digest under "Air Guns" section where it states, "A Rifle Permit is not required".

Thanks guys, I get all that information and have read up on it. 

I guess the part that confuses me is the suppressor part.  I happened to stop in a Dick's the other day and saw them offering the Crosman one mentioned above.  I have looked it up online and to the best of my knowledge it is technically suppressed.  If that's the case how are they able to sell it? 

The Benjamin Nitro is not a bad choice, just make sure whatever you get does not have any noise baffling system or sound suppressor.  The springers are the cheapest but can be finicky.  You need to first break in the rifle with at least 500 shots.  Then buy a sample pack of pellets and see what your rifle likes best.  Make sure you use an airgun scope on your springer rifle.  I would go with a .22.  I have taken squirrels with a body shot from a .22 pellet rifle.  It is much harder to do that with a .177.  PCP airguns is a better way to go but much more expensive.  Hunting small game like squirrels with a springer air rifle can be fun.  Shots have to be closer but it's fun challenge.  I currently use a Stoeger X20 with an upgraded trigger.  A lot of the springers have terrible triggers.  You will all need to adapt to using the artillery hold for shooting spring rifles.  Hope this helps.

I agree with Sharpdogs on all he said.

If the gun has a specific noise suppressor system, technically it is illegal. The fact Dick's might sell something like that means nothing because I'm not convinced they understand all the gun laws in this state (a couple years ago they asked for my FID when I bought shotgun slugs for goodness sakes). It wouldn't surprise me if some purchasing agent at Dick's screwed up.

For your price range, PCP airguns are out - expensive.

Getting a scope specifically designed for the shock of airgun springs is essential - or your scope won't last long. But if you buy an airgun that already comes with a scope, don't be surprised if you will want to replace it - my airgun came with a crappy one that I ended up replacing.

I have a Benjamin  Titan NP .22 and, yes, it also needed a upgraded trigger, too. I have only shot two different springer airguns,  but both had crappy triggers. I suspect Sharpdogs is right that a lot of them are just horrible. Upgrade using Charlie de Tuna's triggers for about $35 and you won't be sorry - very easy to install yourself and feels great.

If you want a gun off the shelf for $200, just be prepared to get one with a crappy trigger and scope (if it comes with a scope at all). Add another $100 or $150 to your budget for an upgraded scope and trigger and you can get a nice airgun that's fun to shoot and hunt with. Remember, you don't need a really expensive scope - you aren't shooting past 40 or 50 yards anyway (I never go past 25 yards myself!). I got a nice 4x airgun scope for I think something like $80. With upgraded scope and trigger, I love my  Benjamin Titan NP and I only spent probably about $300 or so total after the upgrades. Can't remember exactly what it all came to.

In case you are interested - here's the Benjamin Titan NP .22 - https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-titantm-np-22

Here's my upgraded trigger: https://www.charliedatuna.com/GRT-III Trigger New.htm

Here's my upgraded scope (I'm pretty sure this is the one): https://shop.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-4x32-full-size-ao-rifle-scope.html

Here it is in all its glory - the squirrels weren't crazy about it :)

post-950-0-92273800-1507727888.jpg 

First thing you find out a "BB" gun isn't cheap anymore lol

Pellet guns run from say $300 ( once upgraded) to $3000

Like everything else you get what you pay for. I use a Daystate air ranger in .22 caliber. This pellet gun will out shoot most rim fires at 50 yards.  

Start out with a used set up if you can find one then watch out they are addictive!