IGNORED

So, let's talk grills

DBuck

2 hours ago, DBuck said:

I actually have a Weber charcoal grill, I believe it's the kettle. After reading your guys posts I think I'll be looking at the Weber grills, thanks for all your input. Now to start researching propane vs natural gas. I'm not sure I've actually seen Natural gas tanks for sale, where does one get them?

Natural Gas is piped directly from your home , if you do not have Natrual Gas in your home you’ve already narrowed your search. It eliminates tanks all together and you never run out , that’s the whole purpose . 

I had a Weber charcoal and LP gas grill. Gave away the gas grill and only use charcoal. Won’t cook on gas anymore. You can do a lot more with charcoal than you can with gas. I also bought a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, and that’s charcoal too. 

Gas grills may be slightly more convenient than charcoal, but they will cost you more in parts long-term. 

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

12 hours ago, RPK0620 said:

The Weber grills at Home Depot and Lowes are not the same quality as those at an appliance dealer.

Steel components versus stainless which are OK but don't last as long.

My Weber is over 20 yrs sits on the deck and is covered except when being used.

You sure about this? -- I was just grill shopping today at the appliance store across from HD in Bridgewater -- I asked this exact question about lesser quality at the big box store

Salesman flat out told me no-  weber quality is the same anywhere you buy them --  Same price at the small business appliance store as the big HD -- Guy told me Weber sets the minimum allowed to sell 

I'll be buying from the small, friendly, personal service guy who seemed to know what he was talking about

We sell Weber grills at our estate sales all the time.....go to www.estatesalesbyolga.com    we have one at our Montville sale and another at our Freehold sale......much cheaper than new.......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

9 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

You sure about this? -- I was just grill shopping today at the appliance store across from HD in Bridgewater -- I asked this exact question about lesser quality at the big box store

Salesman flat out told me no-  weber quality is the same anywhere you buy them --  Same price at the small business appliance store as the big HD -- Guy told me Weber sets the minimum allowed to sell 

I'll be buying from the small, friendly, personal service guy who seemed to know what he was talking about

This was maybe 20 years ago so things may have changed but the same looking grill at HD was not the same as at the local store. Internals at the HD were steel and the grills and pieces over the burners at the local store were stainless and a few other components were upgrades also. There was I believe about a $75 difference in price. When I asked about the price difference the salesman pointed out the differences. But they looked identical. 

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

3 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

This was maybe 20 years ago so things may have changed but the same looking grill at HD was not the same as at the local store. Internals at the HD were steel and the grills and pieces over the burners at the local store were stainless and a few other components were upgrades also. There was I believe about a $75 difference in price. When I asked about the price difference the salesman pointed out the differences. But they looked identical. 

If the model number is exactly the same, it IS the same. This business about big box stores products being inferior is a way for others to charge more. It is true that manufacturers may make special runs of products for a specific retailer that may be different. It's all about the model number. 

16 hours ago, DBuck said:

The egg, and other kamado style grills do the low and slow 100x better than the weber kettle grills could even dream of.  For me, that's what I'm looking for.  In the one I have now, I'm holding those temps for 4-6 hours without having to add any charcoal at all or even think about opening the lid. if the temp begins to dip a little, i can give it a tiny bit more air and it brings it right back to where I need to be.    

I cook everything on that grill.  Whole turkeys all the time, especially on the holidays.  Hams.  Pork Shoulders for pulled pork.  Multiple chickens.  Whole briskets.  Whole Eye-round roasts.  Low and slow without any further thoughts.  set it and forget it.  Lol .  No need to open it up, remove the food, add more coals, wait for the temp to come back up, etc.  

16 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

The egg, and other kamado style grills do the low and slow 100x better than the weber kettle grills could even dream of.  For me, that's what I'm looking for.  In the one I have now, I'm holding those temps for 4-6 hours without having to add any charcoal at all or even think about opening the lid. if the temp begins to dip a little, i can give it a tiny bit more air and it brings it right back to where I need to be.    

I cook everything on that grill.  Whole turkeys all the time, especially on the holidays.  Hams.  Pork Shoulders for pulled pork.  Multiple chickens.  Whole briskets.  Whole Eye-round roasts.  Low and slow without any further thoughts.  set it and forget it.  Lol .  No need to open it up, remove the food, add more coals, wait for the temp to come back up, etc.  

That's where the Weber Smokey Mountain comes into play.  I can smoke or slow cook on that for 10 hours before adding charcoal.  Granted, I have two devices that use charcoal, but it's also why I have more than one rifle....

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

11 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

That's where the Weber Smokey Mountain comes into play.  I can smoke or slow cook on that for 10 hours before adding charcoal.  Granted, I have two devices that use charcoal, but it's also why I have more than one rifle....

A friend  of mine has an old propane smoker in good shape that he wants to give me.  I think I'll snag it and see if I can make it work with charcoal or wood.  

I totally get the "more than one rifle" analogy.  I do feel like a kamado-style grill is essentially a do-it-all kind of device though and since I like to spend my money on other types of toys, if I only spend money on 1 grilling device, I get to buy other goodies.  

On 4/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, RPK0620 said:

The Weber grills at Home Depot and Lowes are not the same quality as those at an appliance dealer.

Steel components versus stainless which are OK but don't last as long.

My Weber is over 20 yrs sits on the deck and is covered except when being used.

Weber makes some models with SS grills and the better models have iron grills.

7 hours ago, not on the rug said:

A friend  of mine has an old propane smoker in good shape that he wants to give me.  I think I'll snag it and see if I can make it work with charcoal or wood.  

I totally get the "more than one rifle" analogy.  I do feel like a kamado-style grill is essentially a do-it-all kind of device though and since I like to spend my money on other types of toys, if I only spend money on 1 grilling device, I get to buy other goodies.  

I have gone through 4 smokers, and the WSM is THE best out of them all.  You might be able to convert that gas one to use charcoal, but IMHO, there is a reason Weber stuff "just works".  Because it's a Weber.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, Lonewolf76 said:

Best Grill/Smoker I've ever owned.  It's electric comes with 2 meal thermometers and an auger fed hopper.  I did a 10lb pork but and 10lb brisket for a family barbecue as the last meal before winter and it was unreal!  Set it and forget it.  My buddy smokes wings on his and they're awesome!  Easy to barbecue on too!

20170602_Pro-Series-34-Blue_001.png.7410b6a9bc8c5934fccb22bfbf83d824.png

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/pro-series/34-bronze/TFB88PZB.html

I like this one

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/commercial-competition-series/lil-pig/BBQPIG.01.html#

image.png.5b34422cf163ee9d52dc76bb637fb4af.png

12 hours ago, MRMCR said:

We sell Weber grills at our estate sales all the time.....go to www.estatesalesbyolga.com    we have one at our Montville sale and another at our Freehold sale......much cheaper than new.......

I only saw one weber grill for sale(freehold) and it doesn't look like it was taken care of very well

Edited by DBuck