IGNORED

So, let's talk grills

DBuck

Looking to pick up a new grill, would love a Webber but they are a little pricey for the size I want. I'm thinking  a charcoal/gas combo. What kind of grill do you have or recommend, doesn't have to be a combo. I'm looking at this one from Lowes, but I'm always skittish buying home goods from big name brand stores, But I do like the reviews, the positives out number the negatives.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Longhorn-Black-Triple-Function-Combo-Grill/50329705

I've been eyeballing a Big Green Egg for a while, but wasn't necessarily sure that I wanted to drop all of that loot on a kamado-style of grill without taking it for a test drive.   

I purchased this one over a year ago and it has been amazing. I use it to grill, hot smoke,  and even do wood -fired pizza on it.  It works perfectly for everything I'd like it to do.  The air intakes on the top and bottom allow you to easily control flow and get the ideal temp.  Once I get a temp set, it will hold for the 4-6 hours necessary with minimal to no adjustments.  When this one wears out, I'm going to purchase a big green egg for sure.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-AKORN-Kamado-Kooker-20-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

1 hour ago, DBuck said:

Looking to pick up a new grill, would love a Webber but they are a little pricey for the size I want. I'm thinking  a charcoal/gas combo. What kind of grill do you have or recommend, doesn't have to be a combo. I'm looking at this one from Lowes, but I'm always skittish buying home goods from big name brand stores, But I do like the reviews, the positives out number the negatives.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Longhorn-Black-Triple-Function-Combo-Grill/50329705

Almost bought that exact one at Lowes end of Season Sale while I was looking at it another customer passing said forget about it.  He said it was Crap his rusted out in 2nd year and showed me the rust in areas of the one on display in the Foyer not outside.  It is Not even the cheap S/S  with a Black finish it is Plain Painted sheet metal.    I Passed on it.   

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

weber charcoal grill for me. I mostly cook with the real lump charcoal rather then the kingsford "stuff". and if I want more taste ill throw some apple, oak,cherry etc.. chunks ontop. if I want to smoke something ill place all the charcoal on one side, and the food on the other. leaves the vents cracked and let it cook nice and slow. I also bought the thermometer that you stick into the meat and and watch the temp from outside, rather then keep opening the lid to check the temp. works out pretty good for me. 

10 minutes ago, Shakyjake said:

To be honest, Weber is the only grill I use. Price is tough but well worth it. I know several guys with the Green Egg and they love em.

Have a Weber Porcelain Kettle Grill must be 10 years old kept uncovered outdoors no rust but for the Leg dividers. I fire it up for Steaks and Ribs.  They are an investment both gas and Charcoal  Kettles 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

1 hour ago, NJ Predator said:

I'm actually looking at one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438/ref=br_lf_m_73mab3mb3j4g6tz_img?_encoding=UTF8&s=lawn-garden

The grill I have now has been with me for 7 years or so and is almost done with its life span

I have this griddle and Love it the only thing you can't cook on it is Ribs but I also have the Grill top for it for Ribs and Steaks.  Weekend  Breakfast with the Family

blackstone.JPG

41fyE8GsD4L._SX425_.jpg

Edited by Shortfuse

The Weber grills at Home Depot and Lowes are not the same quality as those at an appliance dealer.

Steel components versus stainless which are OK but don't last as long.

My Weber is over 20 yrs sits on the deck and is covered except when being used.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I still use a 21 year old Weber. Can’t beat them.

I am however considering a wood pellet grill. Trager or Green mountain. If anyone listens to John Dudley’s podcast he raves about them constantly for wild game.

IMG_1833.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Weber 6 burner for grilling that I bought in 2002 and it is still going strong.  Customer service and warranty replacements have been outstanding.  Prior to that, I had a big box grill which lasted all of three seasons.  The Weber was pricey at the time, but it owes me nothing now.  (BTW.  I do take care of it.  Yearly cleaning and keep it covered in the winter.  If you just buy a grill, stick it in the back yard and let it sit without any TLC... any brand grill will ultimately fall apart)

For smoking I have a Johnson Custom 2D patio. 

My business partner has a big green egg and loves it.... but if a weber strikes you as a budget buster, the green egg is also probably out.

My personal preference is to get something that does one thing really well (and maybe another on occasion).  Ie. my weber gasser is great for partys and has plenty of grill space for big cooks.  On occasion I would use the smoker box to do some BBQ smoking.  But once I got serious into BBQ and smoking, I got the dedicated smoker.  And while I can put charcoal trays in my smoker to grill.... I rarely do as it just doesn't grill as well as my grill.

IF you want something that does grilling and smoking on a budget, my two suggestions are either a Weber Kettle or an Upright Drum Smoker (UDS).. no gas option on those though.

I've seen a fair amount of OK Joe chatter both positive and negative on the BBQ forums, so may want to check some of them out.  One thing to distinguish on reviews is pre-Charbroil buyout vs. post.  The general consensus is that you can't compare units (reviews) from before Charbroil bought OK Joe to the units built after the buyout (early 2000s? I believe)

Either way, guys turnout great food on all kinds of stuff.  It's just a matter of knowing your equipment.  Good Luck.

I am about to pull the trigger on Weber this week $1200-$1300 Ouch!  I cheaped out a few years ago and found metal parts in my steak from the cheap grill falling apart.  You should be able to get at least a decade if not two out of your weber.