IGNORED

I found an old longspring trap

4 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

You assume it has been out there since the 80s. :) Would not surprise me if folks were using them even long after the ban (if not even now). How many  trappers had tons of $$$ invested in those things only to be told "throw them away, you can't use them anymore" - I'm assuming a few "did not comply". :ninja:

Keep your assumptions to yourself, especially if you ain't a trapper and know nothing about it. Not nice to label like that

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

5 minutes ago, Kype said:

it was to my knowledge that even having those in your possession was illegal. no matter if they were wall hangers or not. maybe im wrong. its a shame so many things are "in the past now". 

they are unless they are inopperable. you could tack weld jaws, remove pan, dog or spring. any of those and its just scrap metal.  it is my understanding when the law was voted on it was voted that they were illegal to use but when it was written into law they added possession and no one has fought it.

It seems like a waste of time to remove that dam since it's been breached for over 40 years, it will destroy that nice little section of river by removing the remaining piece of the dam,it will flatten this section of the river out like the rest of it :down:

Edited by bucky

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, Kype said:

it was to my knowledge that even having those in your possession was illegal. no matter if they were wall hangers or not. maybe im wrong. its a shame so many things are "in the past now". 

Even if so how are you getting in trouble if you hang it on the wall? Stupid laws are meant to be ignored.

It seems like a waste of time to remove that dam since it's been breached for over 40 years, it will destroy that nice little section of river by removing the remaining piece of the dam,it will flatten this section of the river out like the rest of it :down:

The dam’s breach back in the late 1950s during a hurricane has allowed the river there to carve a brand new channel, dumping thousands of tons of fresh sediment into the river, a process that continues. In time, the river will cut all the way to Milnor Road. All we are doing is to put the river back in its original channel and ending that massive sediment transportation.

We will not be “flattening out” the river by removing a 3’ high concrete dam, we will actually be lowering the river at that site. The new channel that exists today will remain intact to handle overflow in flood events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a lot of time down there fishing and swimming as a kid  40 years ago and still frequent it quite often today and that bank hasn't eroded that much in that time. Put  some riprap against that northern bank  and call it a day

I spent a lot of time down there fishing and swimming as a kid  40 years ago and still frequent it quite often today and that bank hasn't eroded that much in that time. Put  some riprap against that northern bank  and call it a day

Funny thing about concrete in rivers - it just never gets better with age. That dam is in very rough shape and is negatively impacting sediment transportation downstream. In time, it will keep failing and creating new channels as it has more recently through the medial bar (Island) below the dam. There are T and E species nearby that need habitat restoration and anadromous fish passage and habitat is in the works for much of the Raritan Watershed. This is part of that larger effort. Feel free to reach out to the landowner about your concerns. I’m the contractor on the job is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, bucky said:

Having seen a few of Bucksnbow's river restoration projects I can assure you bucky that the trout will be much happier after he is done with the project, as will those that like to fish for those trout.  :up: 

I know progress cant be stopped so hopefully you are right,we shall see when its completed. Also bucksnbow my company has a concrete recycling facility 3 miles away if you need to get rid of the demo concrete.

I think sometimes when finding those traps in homes, garages , sheds..........they were used for catching rats around the home or farm and not necesarily trapping........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE