Bonefreak

Imagine.....NJFW managing for sanctuaries on WMAs

From the below post that go very little response.....

I have always had an issue with safety zones on WMAs, especially Division buildings, like the nice new building at Assunpink, which was built next to the Hunter Education building, .....and as safety zone encompasses approximately 8 acres off limits (using 450 ft rule)....it peeved the normal WMA hunter....so these 2 buildings cancel out approximately 16 acres.  Add in the few other houses, and the safety zones nearly total 50-100 acres on the Assunpink WMA tract.

Now my point, though it is a decent idea that if the areas can't be hunted in safety zones, then mite as well lease those areas to farmers to farm......but...... with the kind of pressure that WMAs are getting....how bout trying to implement a Sanctuary Strategy in these areas.  Imagine 50-100 acres of sanctuary habitat spread throughout on a WMA!?!?  The areas that are always going to be a safety zone should not be farmed, mowed, etc, but more aggressively be managed as sancuarty habitat with hinge cutting practices, brush piles deployments, etc .....and we all know sanctuary means sanctuary,  and that means no one enters it, not even 6 day Orange army drivers!!  Lol. Maybe, just maybe they could allow someone to enter it w permission from a CO to recover a deer, other than that, it's a reserve sanctuary to serve as a reservoir to help refill WMA wildlife populations. 

I know its an "out of the box, off the wall idea", but mite as well try something else, because what they have been doing is not working....from where I come from, if it's broke....we fix it!!

I don't want any "no-go" zones in WMAs, even if it is in a safety zone. That's all we need are the people living adjacent to WMAs start calling the COs on us because we are walking behind their house (even with an unloaded shotgun). They are going to end up thinking they own the place and are going to start calling even if we are just outside the safety zone - you know how some people are, especially the antis living next to the WMAs who would love nothing more than to play "gotcha" with hunters walking on a  WMA.

I like knowing "I'm inside the property lines of a WMA - I am allowed to be here" - no ifs-ands-buts. Its public land, I don't want to have to worry about trespassing or violating some no-go zone nor do I want to have to worry about calling a CO just to get permission to recover an animal. Yes, I know there are actually some WMAs that actually do have some no-go zones, but those are limited and its fairly obvious where they are and usually aren't huntable anyway (like airstrips). I don't want to add more - adding safety zones as no-go zones is a bridge too far.

Feel free to manage it for valuable wildlife habitat in whatever way deemed useful (don't let farmers strip it bare, for example), but I still want the right to be there.

Don't think it would work.   Deer won't stay on 50 to 100 acres until the hunters are gone, and all the hunters will be lining the sanctuary.  I agree to stop farmers from mowing down prime habitat.  Government will let it happen, though, just to make another buck.

njfw has no clue or desire to manage the deer herd. They want deer gone not protected. I know I am :beatingdeadhorse: when I say they need to get rid of unlimited harvest in order to help the deer rebound

Posted (edited)

You have almost two opposing ideas. No safety zones, because you can't hunt them,  and lets have sanctuary so we can't Hunt them.

Your idea would result in 100 acres going to sanctuary and they would keep the 450' safety around building. Then once you allow this to happen they will take another 100 acres for another sanctuary, since this is a popular word with all libs and antis, and before you know it you will be hunting 10' wide strip of woods.

Edited by Lunatic

No Lunatic....im saying there are currently safety zones on most WMAs, and what I am saying is those areas around those safety zones possibly should be managed into habitat that offers wildlife a sanctuary and not just open fields that are mowed, farmed,  etc. On the Assunpink tract, near the Division's building, is a few giant fields that are either farmed or mowed thus providing no cover. Since its already listed as an "off limits"..."safety zone" area, why not try to use that to our advantage to enhance WMA wildlife populations.

Like I said, it is just an idea I had, just brainstorming some ways of bettering our times spent hunting WMAs.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

No Lunatic....im saying there are currently safety zones on most WMAs, and what I am saying is those areas around those safety zones possibly should be managed into habitat that offers wildlife a sanctuary and not just open fields that are mowed, farmed,  etc. On the Assunpink tract, near the Division's building, is a few giant fields that are either farmed or mowed thus providing no cover. Since its already listed as an "off limits"..."safety zone" area, why not try to use that to our advantage to enhance WMA wildlife populations.

Like I said, it is just an idea I had, just brainstorming some ways of bettering our times spent hunting WMAs.

Ok, I misread it, sorry about that.

I don't hunt WMA's but I would not have a problem with 450' safety zones around building. I get away form them anyway. 450' seams reasonable to me.

I still don't think your sanctuary idea would work very well but I appreciate your idea. The worse thing that could come from it is giving the libs another way to stop you from hunting. Like someone said guys would have stands 50' apart on the perimeter and next thing you know we get  a 1/2 mile safety zone to the sanctuary to protect deer, since "that's what sanctuary is all about". Or "we need to create another sanctuary because this one is overpopulated with deer relentlessly pursued by hunters". I say lets be carful giving up anything.    

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1