IGNORED

Woodduck nest? Or squirrel?

I hung these woodduck boxes last fall. Yesterday I was next to the pond dumping lucky buck for the deer and flushed 4 woodys.

Today I went to throw pine shavings in the nesting boxes figuring "it's about time"

The boxes are full of leaves. I'm thinking squirrel but I didn't see any hair? Would a wood duck make a nest like this? I feel like they would have nested a lot lower instead of filling it so deep.

Should I pull out the leaves and put shavings?

Maybe I'll throw a trail cam on it for a day or 2.

Saw few woodys take off again when I walked down there today.

20180327_105730.jpg

20180327_105918.jpg

Jay, I found this on the web if it helps:

In the wild, tree cavities may contain only the rotten wood which lines the cavity and its base. Hens bring no additional material into the cavity, initially using only available rotten wood to cover their eggs. As the clutch develops, they gradually add down feathers from their own breast. We must add bedding to our boxes to help entice the hen to use the nest box. Cedar shavings work well for longevity and protection of the eggs. Such products are available as hamster bedding at most pet shops. As an alternative, cabinet shops often will help out by saving shavings from their planers (of various wood types), then donating them for your project.

When hanging a wood duck box it is recommended to place protective guards below, and above if necessary. You pretty much want to keep squirrels, raccoons, and snakes from having any access to the nesting box. Good luck.

Yeah I should have it on a post with a cone under it. Strapped for time, so hope this works for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Yeah I should have it on a post with a cone under it. Strapped for time, so hope this works for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The hard core protections I have seen typically just hang a box on a tall tree away from major branches, and they wrap some sort of stainless steel thin sheet around both the tree above and below the box.  The metal is at least 12" wide or more.  Anyone fishing Point Mountain TCA will know that type of wood duck nest box as there are several there built similarly.   

I got inspired by this post and decided to build a screech owl nesting box, but I'm going to need to hit a specialty lumberyard for the wide cedar plank I need.  I don't have woodies nearby, but we do have screech owls from time to time.  They also take over old woodpecker holes for their nests and nest boxes also require wood shavings on the bottom just as would be left by a woodpecker at the bottom of a large hole in a tree.  

43 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I got inspired by this post and decided to build a screech owl nesting box, but I'm going to need to hit a specialty lumberyard for the wide cedar plank I need.  I don't have woodies nearby, but we do have screech owls from time to time.  They also take over old woodpecker holes for their nests and nest boxes also require wood shavings on the bottom just as would be left by a woodpecker at the bottom of a large hole in a tree.  

Why white cedar? I use old Pallet wood mostly hardwoods.  had an Owl box years ago had success second-year than lost that tree to Lightning. I also had a Bat House that was successful maybe to Successful had a Neighbor Complain to Township who had me Remove it.  One of the pitfalls of Urban living.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

5 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Why white cedar? I use old Pallet wood mostly hardwoods.  had an Owl box years ago had success second-year than lost that tree to Lightning. I also had a Bat House that was successful maybe to Successful had a Neighbor Complain to Township who had me Remove it.  One of the pitfalls of Urban living.  

Because no pallet boards are 12" wide.  I can get wide pine, but that will rot too quickly.