IGNORED

Deer quotas - per season OR per year?

Deer quotas - per season/permit, OR - per year?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Current system rewards you with 2 default bow buck tags, and 2 shotgun buck tags. They expire at end of each season (non-portable). Permits get you 2 more.

• I like the current regulation sets as they stand - no changes
    • I want 1 flexible buck tag per calendar year - take it how you wish, antlerless managed per DMZ per year not per permit
    • I want 2 flexible buck tags per calendar year - take them how you wish, antlerless managed per DMZ per year not per permit
    • I want 3 flexible buck tags per calendar year - take them how you wish, antlerless managed per DMZ per year not per permit
    • I want 4 flexible buck tags per calendar year - take them how you wish, antlerless managed per DMZ per year not per permit
    • I want 5 flexible buck tags per calendar year - take them how you wish, antlerless managed per DMZ per year not per permit

You know the argument.   Current system is designed around revenue with nary a semblance of actual wildlife management.  You can shoot up to 6 bucks, if you buy all your permits and licenses. Tags expire...     

What if you were given fewer buck tags, but with the flexibility to use them any season you wish with the legal allowable weapon per that season?

For example - you love hunting Late summer bucks on their patterns, and take 2 bucks with bow before October even gets there.  Therefore - you are done killing bucks for the year.  Or - you love winter bow, and take two bucks in January - again, you are done.  You are just a 6 day hunter - no changes for you, you still get your two buck tags...

Also - true wildlife management regarding antlerless might be better served to be "per year" and not reset back to a high number with the next season. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I still say the current regs have nothing to do with $$$$$.

if they did they could charge for every deer shot.

can shoot unlimited does for very little money.

The charge for the buck tags is a penalty for wanting to shoot the extra 2 bucks, instead of shooting does.

NJFG doesn't manage the deer herd for hunters, they manage it for car insurance companies

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I am not sure what you mean by "antlerless managed per DMZ per year not per permit" but I think this is more about bucks.

I say 3 but I think the biggest problem we have is having the same regulations for the entire state. We have tiny zones so why not manage based on data from individual zones. This goes for does and bucks.
In some zones you are lucky to see a deer so maybe one buck and a doe would be appropriate. One of the places I hunt, Hunterdon County I routinely see 20 or more deer per sit. One buck and one doe would be an ecological disaster considering we take +_ 50 deer every year.

So I say 3 for both of the zones I hunt.  

Two Buck Tags, use them as you wish they are DMZ specific, with Antler Restrictions Statewide....Don't say AR doesn't work, cause it does if used the right way....PA has done it for a few years and the bucks are getting bigger....Also the unlimited antlerless crap and 6 months of hunting needs to STOP!!!

34 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I still say the current regs have nothing to do with $$$$$.

if they did they could charge for every deer shot.

can shoot unlimited does for very little money.

The charge for the buck tags is a penalty for wanting to shoot the extra 2 bucks, instead of shooting does.

NJFG doesn't manage the deer herd for hunters, they manage it for car insurance companies

I obviously don't know why they do what they do but mu gut disagrees with you.

I think their system of taking our money is very well design for what it is intended for and that is taking our money. The argument "if it was about money they would charge for every deer" does not on its own make sense to me. They know there are limits on what people are willing and able to spend on a hobby. They devised this very clever system of taking a lot of money from us in very small increments.  If some guy making $40K/year told his wife he is going to pay $400 to hunt she would kill him. With $27 here and there she does not even know. Very well designed to do what it does.

4 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I obviously don't know why they do what they do but mu gut disagrees with you.

I think their system of taking our money is very well design for what it is intended for and that is taking our money. The argument "if it was about money they would charge for every deer" does not on its own make sense to me. They know there are limits on what people are willing and able to spend on a hobby. They devised this very clever system of taking a lot of money from us in very small increments.  If some guy making $40K/year told his wife he is going to pay $400 to hunt she would kill him. With $27 here and there she does not even know. Very well designed to do what it does.

I do think it's a clever system knowing the money is all about the bucks (no pun intended).  Offer 6 expiring tags, and the incentive is to buy that next permit to keep hunting bucks...  What bowhunter doesn't dream of the rut? Well they got you over a barrel, only way to hunt November is $28 permit bow, for each zone you want to hunt, plus another $28 for the buck tag.  While many NJ hunters don't care about how big the horns are, the simple fact is that most still enjoy hunting bucks over does for a myriad of reasons, and once - again, the revenue stream is geared around bucks they don't' give a crap for the antlerless. 

2 bucks per year take them how you wish is the perfect compromise.  It would surely change behavior. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

16 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I do think it's a clever system knowing the money is all about the bucks (no pun intended).  Offer 6 expiring tags, and the incentive is to buy that next permit to keep hunting bucks...  What bowhunter doesn't dream of the rut? Well they got you over a barrel, only way to hunt November is $28 permit bow, for each zone you want to hunt, plus another $28 for the buck tag.  While many NJ hunters don't care about how big the horns are, the simple fact is that most still enjoy hunting bucks over does for a myriad of reasons, and once - again, the revenue stream is geared around bucks they don't' give a crap for the antlerless. 

2 bucks per year take them how you wish is the perfect compromise.  It would surely change behavior. 

Amen, "what if I don't buy a buck tag and this giant shows up?"  I do the same thing, buck tag for every season although I hardly ever use them all.  

Just about every other state charges you for a tag for each animal taken. If you wanna shoot 4 does you buy 4 tags.

If NJ charged for every deer shot they could care less about selling you 2 extra tags .

I think you should have to pay for every deer you take from the resource  .

right now there are unlimited does shot during every season they get nothing for 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

12 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Just about every other state charges you for a tag for each animal taken. If you wanna shoot 4 does you buy 4 tags.

If NJ charged for every deer shot they could care less about selling you 2 extra tags .

I think you should have to pay for every deer you take from the resource  .

right now there are unlimited does shot during every season they get nothing for 

I say they charge us in NJ enough but they don't charge enough for hunters out of state. :shock: Here we go:happywave:

right now an all around sportsmans license costs ya 77 bucks.

with that you can , shoot 2 bucks with the bow

2 bucks with the shot gun, UNLIMITED bow does during most of the fall as well as the winter bow season .

allows you to small game hunt, and fish .

How much cheaper can it be.

NO ONE says you have to hunt all the other extended permits .

plenty of other things to hunt during those breaks in the season s

so a guy on a very limited budget can do a heck of a lot of hunting and fishing here , WITHOUT the added expenses 

now the turkey permits in NJ are a different thing, its BS that a permit has to be bought per week , even for the same zone.

permit should be good for the whole season .

They claim its so there is less hunter traffic in  the woods per week . but except on state lands, I don't think that's the case 

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING