IGNORED

There's Little Difference Between a Compound and a Crossbow

Rusty

I've taken a lot of deer with traditional bows, compounds, and crossbows over the past 40 years.  To me there is very little difference between shooting a compound and shooting a crossbow.  You line up the sights, squeeze the trigger, and hit the target.  

And don't tell me that having to draw the compound makes it harder than shooting a crossbow.  If you can't draw your bow slowly and smoothly without spooking deer you are doing something wrong.            

I agree with that statement. :up:

I think the rub or debate will be peoples "perspective" on what's more challenging.

I believe its all hunting so lets come together! No need to be divided! :up:

Edited by Thunderchicken

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

12 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I've taken a lot of deer with traditional bows, compounds, and crossbows over the past 40 years.  To me there is very little difference between shooting a compound and shooting a crossbow.  You line up the sights, squeeze the trigger, and hit the target.  

And don't tell me that having to draw the compound makes it harder than shooting a crossbow.  If you can't draw your bow slowly and smoothly without spooking deer you are doing something wrong.            

I agree Rusty. It is still bow hunting :up:

17 minutes ago, Rusty said:

REALLY < tell me how long you can hold your compound waiting on an animal to turn the perfect direction already prepared for the shot ??

and can you shoot your  compound off a rest.

I don't care what anyone decided to hunt with, I think a combo off hunting with everything is awesome. BUT they are not the same thing.

IF they were why shoot one ?????????.

In the hands of just a modest archer  a compound doubles the distance on a shooters effective range, and a crossbow doubles that .

SO it allows a more precise shot at an animal effectively putting it down cleanly.

I have started ALOT of kids hunting , and most now start with a crossbow. still trying to keep them shooting under 30 yards.

They shoot off a deadshot field pod just like shooting off a bench , and get the task done.

Their isn't any needed muscle conditioning , form etc to accurately shoot .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Shooting a compound is a skill that many shooters take pride in and spend many hours improving/perfecting.  Being a good shot with a crossgun is a matter of how quickly you can get it out of the box and loaded.

How many times have real archery hunters gotten busted on the draw?   It is part of the difficult task of taking a deer by bow and arrow.  How many times have real archery hunters held that draw until their muscles burned and arms shook from stress?   Neither of these will ever happen with a crossgun.   How about the advantage of scopes?   Does a crossgunner ever have the problem of riser twist?   Any honest hunter can and will admit to the significant differences between the two.   Those that don't are just trying to hide the differences so they can hold their own head higher.

Archery season by design is longer because it is so hard to get that animal down given the limitations and difficulties of the sport.  I really don't have a problem with crossguns being in the woods, but they are not bows and should not be afforded the same seasonal benefit or categorization.  I have a suggestion for this.  I think the state, by design, has reduced what was the biggest day of hunting to a non event;  shotgun.   If you only hunt shotgun every hunter around you can take 3 bucks by gun;  2 with crossgun, 1 with muzzleloader.  Thus the party is over before you get into the woods.  How about the entire month of December goes to any gun and all at the same time?  Muzzleloaders, shotguns and crossguns all hunting together.  Perfect.

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Are you just trying to stir controversy for traffic, or do you believe that? 

I have a crossbow, it's effective range is almost twice of what 90% of most guns throwing buckshot, and the shooting mechanics are exactly the same. So a Remmington 870 with ) OO buckshot is bowhunting? 

Crossbows are here to stay, I get it, and they can be fun to hunt with, but to say they are the same as hunting with a bow, well, not even close. The facts of shooting mechanics and physical skills pretty much make that more than just an opinion.

Is this bowhunting? Is fires an arrow and you shoot it exactly like you would a crossbow. 

airbow.jpg

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

If I had to guess I shot 20 times as many deer with a vertical bow than crossbow, simply because I have that many more years with vertical. I think there is a difference but that's why many of us switch or use both. The end result is the same, dead deer.
To me people who come out and start talking down on crossbow users are insecure, beaten down individuals, desperately looking to feel better about themselves. They are the real, ethical, archers and hunters, as I learned from the other post.

Edited by Lunatic

no problem with crossbows here - but they are about the same as a compound, as a compound is to a stick bow...  It's just the natural progression of things... 20-30 years from now the same debate will be had regarding something that is levels above a crossbow, which will probably be something firing a bolt or arrow with a broadhead thus keeping with the "archery" theme, but having no limbs.... Maybe that is where the line will be drawn - absence of limbs will make it "not bow hunting". 

I do love the arguments how ancient the crossbow really is - I can just imagine ancient troops debating how immoral it must have been when one side had crossbows and the other side only had longbows...  LOL. 

As an avid compound bow hunter, with a desire to move toward recurve, I am rather envious and highly respectful of those that routinely take their deer with traditional tackle year after year...  

Surprisingly - they are usually the ones that just stay out of these silly arguments. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

32 minutes ago, Bigsquirel said:

Shooting a compound is a skill that many shooters take pride in and spend many hours improving/perfecting.  Being a good shot with a crossgun is a matter of how quickly you can get it out of the box and loaded.

How many times have real archery hunters gotten busted on the draw?   It is part of the difficult task of taking a deer by bow and arrow.  How many times have real archery hunters held that draw until their muscles burned and arms shook from stress?   Neither of these will ever happen with a crossgun.   How about the advantage of scopes?   Does a crossgunner ever have the problem of riser twist?   Any honest hunter can and will admit to the significant differences between the two.   Those that don't are just trying to hide the differences so they can hold their own head higher.

Archery season by design is longer because it is so hard to get that animal down given the limitations and difficulties of the sport.  I really don't have a problem with crossguns being in the woods, but they are not bows and should not be afforded the same seasonal benefit or categorization.  I have a suggestion for this.  I think the state, by design, has reduced what was the biggest day of hunting to a non event;  shotgun.   If you only hunt shotgun every hunter around you can take 3 bucks by gun;  2 with crossgun, 1 with muzzleloader.  Thus the party is over before you get into the woods.  How about the entire month of December goes to any gun and all at the same time?  Muzzleloaders, shotguns and crossguns all hunting together.  Perfect.

I think we should add to this one month in December Compound bows and let traditional archery hunters have the archery season.  After all archery season by design is longer because it is so hard to get that animal down given the limitation and difficulties of the sport.  Surly you don't want to have this advantage of a compound bow in a traditional archery season. Use your logic and agree, one month for compound as well.:happywave:

Edited by Lunatic

26 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Crossbows have allowed  the “6 day slob” into “ bow hunting”

Really Swampy until  you start shooting your pretty little ducks with anything other then a shotgun you might want to keep your slob comments to yourself. 😽

Edited by Live to Hunt

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈