IGNORED

20 guage turkey rig

Thunderchicken

1 minute ago, CapeCod said:

Tristar Viper G2 20ga synthetic, Carlson Longbeard XR choke, 3” 20ga Winchester Longbeard XR #5s, Vortex Strikefire II red dot.

Where have you been able to get the new TSS ammo? Thanks 

I had to travel but yes. One here and one box there. A lot of phone calls. Few more weeks it should be back in stock!

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

10 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

For those shooting a 20, I have my gf set up with a Mossberg 500, I'm torn between shooting #5s or #6s.  The 6's group better, but I hear the #5s will have a little bit more knockdown power in that 40 yd range.  The 5's also group nice, but not as great as the 6's. 

What shells you shooting?  If lead, I'd go with size 6.  They'll do the job at 40 yards.  May want to try the discontinued federal heavyweight size 7 shot,  hevi 13 7 shot or the tough to find federal tss 7

53 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

What shells you shooting?  If lead, I'd go with size 6.  They'll do the job at 40 yards.  May want to try the discontinued federal heavyweight size 7 shot,  hevi 13 7 shot or the tough to find federal tss 7

Shooting the Winchester XRs, I see a lot of people are shooting the federal heavyweight 7s.  Are they hard to find?

I scoffed at the idea of 20's for turkeys back when I started in 81.   I think most did back then.  When my daughter started hunting I got her a 20 gauge 870.  With 3" Federal 4's we killed a lot of birds, I was pretty surprised with it's effectiveness.   Now with the improved loads, heavy shot and the like I'm sure they are very good.   Good luck with the 20.

The last 3 seasons my son and I  have killed 4 birds with a Mossberg 20ga using the 3" hevi shot blend. All shots inside 30 yards. One shot kills. I killed one first to make sure it worked. He's killed 2 on youth days And I carried it because I was running & gunning and it's a small light gun. In addition to the Mossberg 20 I'm gonna pattern a 20ga 11-87 next week. 

Nick